Quantcast
Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Weight Loss Discussion

Welcome to the Weight Loss Discussion Thread! No matter what program, diet, or plan you are doing, or whether you are just trying to figure out a good plan for yourself, this is the place to talk about it! This is where you can share your tips, vent your frustrations, ask for advice, get a hug.

This began as an idea in the Weight Loss Challenge thread, but it is open to anyone, even if you aren't in the challenges.

I'll save a post for links people would like to share. I'll come back and add my own later when I have more time.

***Saved for links***

Thanks for starting this. I think plenty of us will find it helpful & motivating!
    Only thing better than having a boy, is having two!
    Jack Ryan 1.12.06
    Tate Daniel 6.23.11

Thanks, Medako! I hope people will find comfort here. I know I need the support.

I had this big vent typed up but I lost it . Let's just say I am having major issues with my eating. I am eating "good" food (tons of fruits and veggies, no processed crap, etc) but apparently I'm eating too much of it. I would really appreciate any advice on overcoming food issues.

What is everyone else struggling with? I feel like I am totally on top of the exercise part, but food is my challenge.

Up until I met my DH, my issue was always my portion sizes. I didn't eat a lot of junk food, but pasta and cheese, woa, I ate it every day for dinner and way, way too much.

When I started dating DH, he was, and still is, the most horrible eater. He'll eat nothing practically all day and then eat 2000 calories after 6 pm - and it was really bad food. When he would pull out the chips and dip at 10 pm, I had no restraint. I try to cook healthy dinners but that has only been in the last year. So needless to say, I gained about 35 lbs in the first 18 months we were dating, bringing me over the 200 lb mark (as it was I wanted to loose about 30 lbs when we started dating, instead I gained it!) I lost 25 before we got married, but gained it all back in during ttcing. I got back under 200 when DD was about 8 months old and I did WW. I didn't gain a ton during either pregnancy, especially the second one - I was on bedrest for half of it so made sure I didn't overeat out of boredem. I got down to 200 after DS was born as well, but like with DD, as soon as I weaned, I gained 15 lbs and then the holidays. So I was 221 on New Years Eve. By far the most I'd ever been not pregnant.

I am down to about 210 right now. But I want that scale to say 199.9 so badly!

I am good during the day. I work, so I pack my breakfast, 2 snacks and my lunch every day. But I am not really counting my points at night. I don't eat after dinner and I've been trying to control my nibbling while making dinner and the nibbling off DS's high chair tray.

As for exercise, it has been non-existant. Wait, I did finally make it on the treadmill on Sunday after 5 years. But I've been having problems with flat feet, so I had to go buy orthotics this week and hopefully they will help.

As for portions during dinner, I actually started feeding us on our salad plates. Our every day china is Williams-Sonoma cafe plates. The dinner plates are huge! I'll serve on them if we are having a lot of things that we don't want to get all blending together, but most nights I try to eat off the small plates. And I eat my cereal out of a smaller bowl.

Grenouille - Are you sure you are eating enough? If you are exercising, you may not be getting enough food and then your body shuts down. Are you doing it all on your own or are you doing WW or anything? I am not good at actually counting the points on WW, but I've found that writing it down, not enough so much the amount, but just the fact that I ate it, has helped. And I've tried to write down how I am feeling when I eat something if it is something I don't normally eat or too much or at a time I don't usually eat.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Portions have always been my downfall too. Well, along with cheese and bread/crackers. I could make decent meal choices, but if I wanted a snack, I'd go for something like saltines. I've really tried to do better with the snacking by having yogurt with fruit, a fat free smoothie or the occasional 98% FF popcorn.

Grenouille - I agree with Jessey, have you tracked what you eat at all, even for a few days? When I decided to go low-fat, I instant did everything I could to cut out fat. I went to FF cheese, FF sour cream, FF yogurt, FF milk, lots of fruits & veggies, etc. After a few days, I quit losing anything and it was driving me insane! So I started tracking everything to figure out where I was going overboard. Turned out that I was over-doing the low-cal/low-fat because I wasn't getting enough of either. My body was holding onto everything it could because it thought I wasn't replenishing. I've since figured out a little better method of trying to lose. Like I tell my husband, it's not the smartest thing to tell a fat girl to eat more, but, ya gotta eat it to lose it.
    Jack Ryan 1.12.06
    Tate Daniel 6.23.11

just wanted to add that I got a new pair of reebok easytones and the first day I walked a mile on the treadmill to kinda break them in. Yesterday I went to the track and did 2.5 miles. I am SORE today. My legs are a little sore but my back is killin' me. I don't know if it's all the shoes or that I slept on the couch last night, but I'll at least take the aches in my legs to mean the shoes made a little bit of difference.
    Jack Ryan 1.12.06
    Tate Daniel 6.23.11

I'm currently struggling with the fact that I *think* I'm doing everything right now, and yet the weight is coming off so, so slowly. I've been reading all these weight loss success stories about how people just ate a little healthier and walked a little and dropped 20lbs. Well, I'm walking an hour or more a day, five days a week, doing an hour of step aerobics four days a week and 30 minutes of low impact aerobics three days a week. I'm also counting calories (1,500/day), eating only healthy food and drinking lots of water. And yet, I've had many weeks where I gained or lost nothing. In the past five weeks, I've lost a total of 1/2 lb from where I started. Doing all of that. But I guarantee if I ate a Twinkie, I'd gain two pounds. I'm also completely confused as to how my weight had stayed the same for two years prior to starting this plan since I was eating crap and lots of it (another cheese and pasta addict here) and not exercising. If my metabolism is really that slow, I should have been packing on the pounds for those two years.
    Marriage - 10/12/2003
    Lily - 9/26/2006

larslobster You may actually be starving your body with that much exercise and so few calories. Thats why I like weight watchers because it gives you and idea of how many calories/fat you should be eating based on your exercise. I think for alot of people when you go "that extreme" your body works in starvation mode.

All that being said, after the first 2 weeks I am such a slow weight loser and find it super frustrating - and yet I know if I wasn't dieting I would be gaining. I am really trying to focus on doing weekly exercise that I can sustain and burns calories and spreading out my food so I am not super hungry during the week and then eating all weekend (even if it balances out in the end).

It has helped but I am really hungry today and it doesn't help that I am stuck at home because one of my girls is sick (I am so much better when I am out and about).

I am just so overwhelmed about how much I need to lose and so angry that right now I am losing the weight I gained these past 6 months - when I was already unhappy 6 months ago with my weight.
    Hailey Morgan 8-6-2003
    Logan Danielle 5-25-2007
    Sugar and Spice and everything nice - two little girls!

almostthere - the reason I added all the aerobics is because I stopped losing weight doing just the walking. So I figured rather than further reducing calories, I'd add more exercise to break through the plateau. But maybe you're right, now I'm doing too much exercise. I can't seem to find the right balance so maybe I should join WW.
    Marriage - 10/12/2003
    Lily - 9/26/2006