Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You might also want to do a Google search for "clean eating" (that's the name Oxygen magazine gives to meals made with natural, unprocessed foods). Oxygen does have some recipes in each magazine, but not enough to make it worth buying if you're not into the fitness articles.
    Married: April 20, 2002
    DD: January 25, 2008

If you are mostly concerned about health you can also look into a modified Mediterranean diet. I say modified because people in Mediterranean countries generally do not eat whole grain products but they do eat lots of fruits and vegetables, seafood and cold pressed oils. If you stick to the basics of the Mediterranean diet but make sure that all the breads or other baked goods you eat are 100% whole grain with as few other ingredients as possible (try Ezekiel bread) that would be a good start to a healthier diet.

My husband doesn't like to use prepared products, but we do sometimes rely on them, like this morning, neither one of us is going to whip up Bernaise sauce from scratch for our Eggs Benedict!

I bake our bread when I can, using the NY Times/Sullivan Street Bakery long rise method. I can control the ingredients and the amount of salt. When I am buying fish, I look for whole filets that were not previously frozen. I also look for grass fed beef and chicken (which is all I can find where I live anyway). We have the option of buying our eggs and milk direct from farmers, but I am not sure of the pasteurization rules, so for now, I get these at the grocery store.

As far as meals go, we also try to eat a larger hot meal for lunch and eat a smaller evening dinner, like a salad with hard boiled egg and cheese.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

Be careful if you add too much seafood to your diet. Globally, we're fishing faster than the fish are able to reproduce. We also tend to eat fish towards the top of the food chain (salmon, tuna, swordfish, shark) and those fish have the highest levels of mercury, PCBs, etc. With seafood, try to stick with clams, oysters, mollusks, anchovies, and sardines. They reproduce quickly and don't eat other fish so they don't accumulate as many/much of the toxins.

Looch I'm not sure where you live, but many states have laws against selling raw milk so you don't really have to worry about buying it by accident! Just ask them if it's raw or not. In states where it's illegal to sell raw milk farmers can get around it by selling cowshares. I don't have a problem with raw milk but if I did, I'd much rather purchase my pasteurized milk from a farmer than in the supermarket. I like to know exactly where my food is coming from and using my money to support someone that's making a difference.

Another Michael Pollan book that is even easier to digest is Food Rules.
    I was going to suggest that one, too. It's great.
    CJ 5/16/05
    CC 9/11/08
    AS 12/20/10

Milk: http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

A friend of mine buys raw milk from a farmer. She meets him in a parking lot. I am not sure how she found him but she has been doing this for awhile and hasn't had any problems. She also mentioned they sell raw milk in pet stores or something but its strictly for animal use only?

ETA: I need to read these books!! Going to turn on Nook to see if I can order them!

Raw milk is soooo good.

I really think part of the key is not doing a diet program. Eating a well balanced diet of real food should be the key. Depriving yourself of sweets or carbs or whatever is just going to set you up for failure. Moderation with a focus on REAL food is the best way to be healthy.
    CJ 5/16/05
    CC 9/11/08
    AS 12/20/10

FWIW I think looch lives in Europe or elsewhere abroad.

My husband read In Defense of Food and he thought it made some good points. We've watched the author on The Daily Show twice, too, and he seems pretty level headed about food and making "rules".

ETA: bostonbride - to answer your questions, check out the firm tofu at Trader Joe's. It used to be 99 cents but I think it's like $1.19 now, but still, so cheap. I like to freeze tofu before using it bc it helps the texture keep its firmness. After thawing I squeeze out all the water I can and then I cut it into cubes and lay them on a paper towel to drain a bit more. I mostly throw tofu in stir fry but if I have time I like to sauté it in a tiny bit of olive oil to crisp the edges first. You have to be careful w/ the oil though bc tofu is like a giant sponge.

As for olive oil, I actually don't like extra virgin and neither does my husband, but if you like the flavor I would recommend it bc you can use less and still really taste it. As for a rec, we use TJ's most regularly bc it is a good flavor for a reasonable price. When we lived in Boston we used to use filipo berio (sp?) which you can get in bulk at Stop & Shop. Again not the BEST quality you can get, but a good flavor for a reasonable price. That said my husband's family is Italian so we get fancy olive oil as a gift pretty regularly and there are a lot of tasty ones out there, but I really prefer local ones. We do buy also from the Farmer's Market and up in wine country when we can, but obviously those brands wouldn't be available to you. HTH!
    Last edited by laura; 03-14-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

My DS and I started on a strict elimination diet as part of trying to figure out his food allergies and what it has turned into is what I like to call my "1 ingredient" diet. I try to make the majority of our meals from 1 ingredient foods. So for example, if we eat peas, we eat fresh peas or peas that don't have any salt or anything already added to them. Or when we eat rice, we eat actual rice, no flavored rices or soy sauce added. I know for some people, this might not work but for us it has been great and in the process of figuring out his allergies, I have been losing weight and getting much healthier.

I read "Skinny Bitch" and although I don't subscribe to everything in it, I do think it's a great read to get the wheels turning.
    Kristen & Jason 5/19/06
    Our Peanut has arrived 5/20/09
    Our Bean has arrived 11/30/11

I started eating mostly raw food 2 weeks ago. I'd have raw fruit (mostly) and veggies all day long instead of making breakfast or lunch. Then at dinner I make baked, steamed, or sauteed veggies (baked butternut squash and sauteed spinach is one example.) I try to buy everything organic and I cut out all refined sugar, processed food, dairy, bread, pasta, etc. I do eat chicken or turkey once a week but I am thinking of cutting them out too. I've lost 10 lbs so far. I have more energy and my skin feels smoother. I dont know if I can go 100% raw though.
    It was hard at first but once you break through a certain point, your body starts craving good food.

http://www.rawguru.com/

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/

http://www.rawfoodlife.com/

http://goneraw.com/