Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good "first food" after the stomach flu?

After having a horrible stomach flu for two days I haven't eaten anything, and I'm still not hungry. But since I have to teach a 3 hour night class tonight I figure I better eat something so I don't pass out. Any suggestions?

Chicken broth, applesauce and jello are my staples.

I always start with dry toast.
    Maxwell Davis born 2.24.05 Riley Elizabeth born 8.11.07Daniel Dwight born at 21 weeks. Always in my heart. Gabriel Thomas born 1.2.11

Toast or saltines. Maybe a little ginger ale. If those do okay, then try a little broth.

Hope you feel better!
    Cake or Death?

A couple scrambled eggs. Easy on the stomach and they've got protein.

Quote Originally Posted by tenofcups View Post
    A couple scrambled eggs. Easy on the stomach and they've got protein.
    Every person is different. When I've been sick eggs make me MORE nauseous even though I usually like them.

I eat a bowl of bland cereal (Cheerios usually) and/or a banana.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

Of course the "instinctual" answer is something bland, but it's notable that in kids, studies show recovery from GI illness is faster the sooner the regular diet is resumed - and yes, the design was such that they weren't simply selecting for those who felt better faster anyway (and therefore resumed a regular diet sooner). I'm not aware of similar research in adults. I think you should eat what seems appealing - and you don't have to eat - if you haven't passed out in the past two days from not eating, you're not going to start tonight.

P.S. There's no such thing as "stomach flu" - flu/influenza is a respiratory illness though the immune response can cause GI issues in some people - but we all knew what you meant. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal

Oh I feel your pain! I just had it a few weeks ago, on a flight from Cancun back to NC no less. I was feeling so bad by the time I got to Charlotte for my connection that let my bags go without me, checked into a hotel, and spent the rest of the night alone in a hotel room sick.as.a.dog.

It took me a couple of days to get back to being ready to eat. At first I stuck with saltines and ginger-ale. I ate quite a bit of chicken noodle soup, jello, and pretzels.

When I moved to solid foods I stuck to something plain and simple - a regular old club sandwich (no mayo, no oil & vinegar) w/ just meat and cheese..lol.
    Courtney ~~LJ~~
    Don't ask the locals for directions, they already lost one colony!

I survived teaching three hours - thank goodness the adrenaline kicks in when I teach.

I went with toast and broth based on your suggestion. It all stayed in and I stayed upright. Phew! That's the one major down side of being a professor, no substitutes available when you're sick!

I always eat what I start craving... it's often chips. LOL. It's also been spaghetti before. If somethings sounds good to me, that's what I'll eat.
    I'm surrounded by boys!
    DH 6/29/02 ~ DS1 3/2/06 ~ DS2 10/15/09