Quantcast
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Default New Mommy Rookie Questions

I couldn't find a thread like this when I searched, and it would sure be helpful to me at least...I always have a million questions, but I don't want to start new threads every single time. Or sometimes I can't figure out if, for example, I should put it in the BF vs. MWP threads because it would apply to both.

My latest question is when do you start "playing" with your DC? DD is 12 weeks (6 weeks adjusted), and we don't play with her at all. The only thing we do is shake a rattle in front of her sometimes, which she does smile at. I feel like a bad mom, like I should be doing more, but I tried to get out one of her Christmas gifts (a ball that lights up, has music, taggies on it, etc.), and she was not interested. She's also not even interested in the things hanging down from her playmat so I don't put her on that either. Are there other things I should be doing at this point? When should you "play"?

*if there is a thread like this already, please feel free to merge this!

Ditto to what Taffers asked! DD is only 6 weeks and we do tummy time, and read a book, and talk to her...ok, that is about 15-20 minutes. Now what?? I feel like a terrible mom, but I run out of stuff to do!
    Me & DH... 12/20/2003 Baby GIRL!! ...11/20/2009 New Addition: Due 8/29/2011
    My Blog

My ped said don't stress at this point about "doing" stuff, the most important thing is to talk to them, just about whatever is going on like cooking dinner, etc. She said the most important thing was including her in what we are doing, and the other stuff will come later - although how much later I'm not sure. After 8 weeks at least bc that's when our next appt is.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Quote Originally Posted by espresso View Post
    DD is only 6 weeks and we do tummy time, and read a book...
    espresso, you're ahead of us...we don't read to DD yet, and she's 12 weeks! I'm thinking maybe the playing comes more around 4 or 5 months?

My DS just turned 4 months and it was just a few weeks ago that he first started really being interested in his toys. He lays on his gymini and bats at the toys and sits in his Bumbo and plays with small toys that I put on the tray. I spend a lot of time with him on my lap (facing me) singing, talking, etc.

So what do we *do* with our young ones? I feel so stupid but I don't want her to be bored! I feel guilty when we just hold her and watch tv or look at the computer. But I don't know what else to do!
    Me & DH... 12/20/2003 Baby GIRL!! ...11/20/2009 New Addition: Due 8/29/2011
    My Blog

You guys with the one little baby who sleeps a lot -- go OUT! Do grownup stuff like see a movie during naptime, go to the library, go to the mall. You don't have to entertain a baby. They are totally not bored, they're looking at all the STUFF they haven't seen yet!

Trust me folks - it seems challenging now but you will look back on missed opportunities if you have another - baby #2 will only ever get to go to preschool pickups and big sibling's playdates.

As long as you talk to your baby, look at her in the eyes, touch her, cuddle her -- she'll develop normally and happily.
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)

DD is 5 months now, but I have talked to her since day one. I tell her what we are doing, what we are looking for, washing, buying at the store... I'm the mom who is talking to her baby about which brand of pickles to buy in the grocery store!

I also read to her, but really, there wasn't much else and I too felt like I should have been doing more, although I don't know what.
    In the cone of uncertainty
    On the LJ

Oh yeah, we just learned our baby loves the carseat/stroller (and by loves, I mean immediately falls asleep for hours), so we have been getting OUT somewhere at least once a day. I never thought I would be so thankful to do holiday returns at the mall or go to Target, but it has been a sanity saver!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

You probably won't listen to me, since I probably wouldn't have listened to me when my first kid was a baby, but try as hard as you can not to stress about that stuff. I remember feeling this exact same way for a really, really long time, and always feeling guilty for not interacting or stimulating DS1 appropriately. But it totally doesn't matter. You aren't depriving your kid or keeping him/her from becoming a genius. You are just making yourself crazy (or at least, I was ). If it is one thing that babies are good at, it is telling us when they aren't happy. Kids will pretty much let you know when they are ready for everything. You'll know when they want to play, whether they like to be sung to, when they could start learning the alphabet, etc. Now, when my kids are asking me to play "the monkey and the princess" or some such nonsense for the 3 millionth time, I wish I would have just let them sit in one spot and stare at the ceiling when they were content to do so .
    Megan and Derek: 6/15/02, Dean: 6/27/05, Reed: 10/3/07, Ruby: 11/21/11
    My determined purpose is that I may know Him.