Quantcast
Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Potty Learning: Master Thread pt. 2

New thread for potty learning/training discussion. Old thread can be found HERE.

There is also a thread specifically for discussion of potty training gear (potties, stools, books, cleaning etc.). It can be found HERE.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

I posted in the old thread but didn't get any answers before this new thread was started, so I'm going to re-post.

Question ~ My DS has been telling us when he's pooped in his diaper for about a month now, but doesn't really tell us when he's wet. When we ask if he has poop in his pants and he doesn't, he'll say, "No poops, just peepee!" so I know he knows the difference. He likes the potty, but will only sit on it for about 10 seconds and then he's done. He has yet to actually do anything on the potty - it seems like it's just a fun thing for him to take his diaper off, sit down, then get back up. He watches us use the potty and likes to wipe himself with toilet paper, then flush it down the big toilet. He hasn't really had any BM's at night since he started STTN at a year old (so for a year now, unless he's sick or has tummy issues). Occassionally he has woken up dry from a nap, but not very often. When that happens I put him on the potty but he won't sit there long enough to relax the muscles and go pee. He went pee one night just standing in the bathroom before I got him into the tub, and he actually laughed when he saw the pee coming out - thought it was quite entertaining - but it was on the floor and not in the potty. Does it sound like he's ready to start PTing? If so, what's the best way to go about doing it? I don't want to force him to sit on the potty for longer than he wants to for fear of him starting to hate the potty and taking a step backwards. Should we wait a while longer until he starts telling us when he's going to poop, instead of after he's done it?
    Married ~ 2004
    DS #1 2007
    DS #2 2010

cat lover: He might be ready to potty train. Is he hiding when he goes poop? Just keep putting him on the potty regularly. Read books, let him play with toys, or sing songs with him while on the potty.

It was a long process with our DS. We started with him around 20mos. It finally took letting him run around the house pantless for him to start peeing in the potty. Sure we had a few messes to clean up, but he learned to associate that sensation of peeing with the mess on the floor/couch/chair.

He didn't start pooping in the potty until a little over 2 months ago, months after he'd been peeing in the potty regularly. It took a reward sticker chart to get him to poop in the potty. Now he goes poop there every time.

DS is night time trained now (knock on wood). He's woken up dry every night, now, for two weeks. He even woke up a 2am the other night to ask to go pee.
    Married 9/11/04
    DS#1 1/17/07
    DS#2 9/9/09

Question regarding Fellum's 3 day PT. Bensgirl - I know you used this method didn't you?

DS is 25 months. We tried this over the weekend, just to see if he is ready. Turns out, he did great. He has been pee peeing on the potty pretty regularly, but it was nothing we have tried to force, we just wanted him to learn. On Friday, we started the pt hard core and he didn't wear pants/underwear except when we went out. Saturday and Sunday, and so far this morning, he tells me when he needs to pee pee. Saturday night he pooped in the potty and so it's going great!

My question is specifically - did anyone notice any problems once they put their DC in big kid underwear? Like I've said, we have had DS in it a few times this weekend when we went out for a short time, and he didn't pee in them. We are going to try him in underwear full time tomorrow, and I am just wondering if I should expect any trouble - I'd assume no since he has now associated peeing in the potty and he knows the sensation and all, but I was just wondering....

DD still doesn't tell us 100% before she pees... there is a little wetness in her undies when she tells us.

Pull Ups I HATE Pull-Ups and vowed never to use them... but daycare wouldn't start taking DD to the potty unless she was in pull-ups or undies. So we went to pull ups. We started with Huggies (Princess) pulls ups and she was asking to go, then I got Pampers (Dora - everything is Dora right now) and she stopped asking!! She has been back in Huggies for about 2 weeks and is asking again.

Undies DD was in Undies all weekend. She would be damp when she asked but we never had to change her pants, just her undies. (Including while on a shopping trip to WalMart! That is a BIG store to get through with a 23 month old saying Peepee but won't let you carry her!!!!!)

Today DD is in undies at daycare (with a plastic pant overtop)! Good thoughts!!
    Tara and Terry: May 13, 2006
    Elizabeth Vittoria: December 21, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by loving624 View Post
    My question is specifically - did anyone notice any problems once they put their DC in big kid underwear? Like I've said, we have had DS in it a few times this weekend when we went out for a short time, and he didn't pee in them. We are going to try him in underwear full time tomorrow, and I am just wondering if I should expect any trouble - I'd assume no since he has now associated peeing in the potty and he knows the sensation and all, but I was just wondering....
    DD is in undies at DC today - first try so we will see!!

I did find this weekend she was very into role playing changing mom and dad's diapers (fun ) and her babies! She did the same when we took the bottle away 3 weeks ago - had to feed us all bottles and she used toys like bottles. It's like she knows it is going away and wants to keep it.

boilermaker Thanks for responding to my issue a few days ago. He doesnt really have a specific time when he poops. Its just sort of goes whenever.

I really dont know what I'm doing wrong. It has to be something! He went on the potty every.single.time with just a few pee accidents for entire 2 weeks. Not one poop accident. Now for the last week every single poop has been on the floor. Everytime. The only time I am able to catch him in the at is when he is constipated or having some trouble pushing it out. Otherwise, he poops on the floor then runs to the potty and yells, "Potty! Hurry Hurry!" After sitting on the poty for a few minutes with nothing coming out he tells me, "Poop on floor" or "Clean floor". So then I go investigate and there it is... Thank GOD we have hardwoods!

Also, trying to get him to go pee on the potty when he first wakes up is sometimes a major meltdown. This morning I took him to the potty and he had a complete meltdown and ended up peeing a river on the floor at some point. I am trying SO hard not to get mad or frustrated with him but its so hard. I even bribe him if he goes even though I know your not supposed to.

I realize that PTing can take months (and I am totally fine with that). I am even ok with accidents. But every.single.day he poops on the floor? Its getting a little frustrating.

Any tips?? Anything?
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

Quote Originally Posted by bensgirl1222 View Post
    Also, trying to get him to go pee on the potty when he first wakes up is sometimes a major meltdown. This morning I took him to the potty and he had a complete meltdown and ended up peeing a river on the floor at some point. I am trying SO hard not to get mad or frustrated with him but its so hard. I even bribe him if he goes even though I know your not supposed to.
    I can't get DD to pee on the potty first thing in the AM or last thing at night. I THINK she is going in her pullup before I get her in the AM (I don't wake her - she is awake when I go to her).... and it's like she knows in the evening she can 'wait' till her pullup is on. NOT something I want her to get used to!

That said - my DD is a camel. She pee's every 3-4 HOURS during the day - seemingly no matter how much I get her to drink!

Quote Originally Posted by bensgirl1222 View Post
    boilermaker Thanks for responding to my issue a few days ago. He doesnt really have a specific time when he poops. Its just sort of goes whenever.

I really dont know what I'm doing wrong. It has to be something! He went on the potty every.single.time with just a few pee accidents for entire 2 weeks. Not one poop accident. Now for the last week every single poop has been on the floor. Everytime. The only time I am able to catch him in the at is when he is constipated or having some trouble pushing it out. Otherwise, he poops on the floor then runs to the potty and yells, "Potty! Hurry Hurry!" After sitting on the poty for a few minutes with nothing coming out he tells me, "Poop on floor" or "Clean floor". So then I go investigate and there it is... Thank GOD we have hardwoods!

I realize that PTing can take months (and I am totally fine with that). I am even ok with accidents. But every.single.day he poops on the floor? Its getting a little frustrating.

Any tips?? Anything?
    Maybe he just needs a little more time. We had some regression after 6 weeks without a single accident. It was very frustrating. I mean, how can you go 6 weeks without an accident and then just *poof* forget how to use the potty?

We just dealt with it as well as we could and when DS was ready to stop having accidents he stopped. I don't think we could have done anything to change it - everything was on his schedule and that was how he wanted it.

Thank you geek and Michelle! I guess I just needed to be patient bc the last 2 days he has pooped on the potty! Heres hoping the trend continues
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011