Quantcast

Thread: Wedding Gifts

Default Wedding Gifts

I'm totally out of the loop. Most of my friends all got married when I did 7 years ago. I went to a bridal shower today and obviously took a gift. While I've been to recent weddings, I did not attend the shower. Am I suppose to bring another gift to the wedding? I honestly can't remember if it's ok to do a big shower gift and forget it or if I need to bring another wedding gift?

Yes, it's a separate gift. Some places it's normal to bring it to the wedding, but here it's better to send it ahead of time (or, I suppose, after).

ETA checks are common gifts as well. I still prefer to send them to the house ahead of time, but most people have a card basket/box/bag.
    Last edited by bookworm; 11-07-2009 at 07:22 PM.

I usually give a registry gift at the shower and send a check for the wedding.

Definitely a separate gift.
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal

Two separate occasions, two separate gifts. The registry is primarily for shower gifts and the wedding gifts are normally cash/checks. Did the OP not attend the showers because of not being invited or being invited and not being able to attend? I ask because if I am invited to the shower and can't attend, I send a gift from the registry. If I am invited to the wedding and not the shower, then I just bring a gift of cash to the wedding. I learned after my own wedding to give either cash or a check made out to cash...we had some issues depositing checks made out to Mr. & Mrs. So and So....I kept my last name and added DH to my bank accts. You just never know what the bridal couple has done/will do.

In my circle, the shower guest list starts with the female wedding guests and could also be extended to include women that might not be able to make the trip to the wedding if it is in a different location, like elderly grandparents.
    Last edited by looch; 11-08-2009 at 01:26 AM.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

Quote Originally Posted by Myra View Post
    I usually give a registry gift at the shower and send a check for the wedding.
    I do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by looch View Post
    Two separate occasions, two separate gifts. The registry is primarily for shower gifts and the wedding gifts are normally cash/checks.
    Depends on where you live. This is most definitely not the norm here.

Yes, two separate gifts.

Separate gift, and agree with above, not necessarily only cash/checks at wedding.
    I guess if the couple doesn't register for much, it's a *hint* to give money? But if there is registry with pricier china/flatware, they probably want those.
    mom to 3 boys
    hoping to adopt a daugher
    Our Blog