Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default activities for a 5-month old?

Just wondering what you ladies do/did with your babies at this age. I feel like I need some more variety in our activities. During the day, DD and I go for lots of walks in the stroller, we dance, we do tummy time, she sits on my lap and we talk, we read books (though this still isn't working too well), and sometimes we run errands. She is grasping things at this point, but isn't interested in any toys for more than a minute or so, though I do need to get her some more toys as we barely have any. She isn't sitting independently yet, but I am thinking of going ahead and buying a highchair because I think she could sit up if there were a tray she could hold onto or lean against (she sits up in the swing without her back against the seat). I am also hoping to find some activities that DD can perform independently, so I can have a few minutes to myself here and there.

I went back through our online album to see when we got our high chair, and it was when Joey was about 4 1/2 months. Not like he was doing any eating in it at all, but it was great to have him hang out with me in the kitchen, I could cook or do stuff and talk to him about it, and he was fascinated. It was a great vantage point. Also a good place to kick back and eat a good book:

edited to remove picture

Joey also became a little more "into" the exersaucer at this point, because he loved being held as if he was standing, and this gave him the illusion of standing up by himself. He liked to bounce in it.
    The exersaucer was also nice last summer, I'd bring it outside and he'd chill on the patio, turning around and around to look at the birds or the cars passing or whatever, and I'd get to *gasp* read a magazine article!

We did Gymboree classes last spring, which were ok. I didn't particularly like the other moms in our group, so we stopped going. But it was a nice way to get out of the house. You might check and see if your local library does anything for babies and toddlers during the week. Ours has Infant-Toddler Storytime on Mondays, they sing, read two short board books, and bring out the toys and bubbles.

You can also try a local park/playground -- even if she's too young to do anything at the playground, she might like watching all the kids playing. That's still one of Joey's favorite things.
    Last edited by Marisa; 09-15-2005 at 09:14 AM.
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)

I was wondering the same thing! DD is just about 5 months...

We have one large room downstairs (kitchen, den, pool table room), so I bought those spongy letter play mats, and when I am here in the kitchen (on the computer or cooking), I can just let her play on the mat. I throw down a few toys, and DD pretty much entertains herself. (I'll post a pic in a minute). I also use the exersaucer (have been since about 3 1/2 mo), but she is starting to get bored of that now.

I also have a few other play things in another room (the formal living room).

I rotate her between these locations for play time and then add some interaction play (reading, gymboree type stuff, etc.)

HTH!!
    Last edited by Koala_Gurl; 08-12-2005 at 11:30 AM.

My DD is only 4 months, but I am interested in hearing what other Moms are doing.

Koala_Gurl - Where did you purchase the spongy letter play mats? I want to buy some for my DD to play on since we have tile in the family room.

TIA!
    David & Chylynn- est. 09/22/01
    Rebecca Ainsley- est. 04/02/05
    Emily Kathryn- est. 09/24/08

We did a lot of errand running - something different every day. I took her to a church playgroup once/week and although she couldn't play with anyone, she liked watching the kids. We also went to Music Together once/week and another day got together with the MT moms/kids. Again, our kids didn't play much, but they watched each other a lot.

Around the house, the Exersaucer and bouncy seat were invaluable too.
    sugar, spice & everything nice...
    8/03 & 12/05
    snips, snails & puppy dog tails...3/10

catmom When DD was 5 months, she used to hang out in the exersaucer and under the Gymini a lot. She also used to like watching the Baby Einstein DVD's for a few minutes at a time. Around that time, I started putting her in the Boppy so she was sort of sitting up, which she thought was a lot of fun.

Chylynn I got mats very similar to that at Ross.

Thanks for the great ideas! I just ordered DD a high chair (this one, that converts into a table an chair for later: http://www.livingincomfort.com/kekosethicha.html )

And those floor mats look like a great idea.

I just wish there was a way to try some of these toys out before I spend a bunch of money on things she has no interest in. Someone bought us a nice swing, but she won't stay in it for more than 5 minutes, and it seems like I have spend an awful lot of my own money on stuff she either hates or ignores.

catmom -- it's yard sale season! I wound up buying a second exersaucer to leave outside for only $3 at a yard sale -- since it was so cheap I didn't mind it getting faded in the sun.
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Chylynn
    Koala_Gurl - Where did you purchase the spongy letter play mats? I want to buy some for my DD to play on since we have tile in the family room.

TIA!
    I got that mat at One Step Ahead (www.onestepahead.com). I have also seen them at Babies R Us and the Right Start. One word of caution though...check the age for the mats...some of them have really small pieces and are for ages 3+ . I got ones of those first & had to return it.

Chylynn they also sell them at Walmart & Ross too locally. I've been shopping around for Maya's play room.

DD gets bored fast in her exersaucer lately, but she LOVES the Jumperoo at my dads house. I just put up the doorway jumper today (We just moved in a week ago) and she loved it.

Maya is just starting to sit up unassisted, soI need to get her some sit up type toys.

Now though, she loves anything she can put in her mouth. I just put her down on her tummy with a bunch of toys while I cook or something.She rolls around and has a great time alone. She never used to, so I'm loving this time. lol

We sing a lot of songs and have lots of silly time.
    Candy & Martin married 11/16/02
    Maya Kaitlyn 2/15/05