Quantcast

Default Cape Town, South Africa!

Do any of you ladies know anything about Cape Town, South Africa? I've been offered a job there and I'm considering relocating.
    Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. ~George Bernard Shaw
    VOX

Wow. Congrats! I've never been there but I hear it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I would love to live there! Congrats on the news.

Let me know if you learn more!! I'm planning a trip to SA with my sister this Spring. My cousins live in Johannesburg. What I know is this: things are dirt cheap when using their exchange rate. The weather in J-burg is great. Of course, seasons are opposite. In Cape Town, you have the ocean.

This could be soooo exciting! Good luck!

I haven't been but my boss is from South Africa so I've heard a bit about it. He's been here for about 20 years but goes back often and always says that if it weren't for having family here now, he would consider moving back. He has mentioned how beautiful Cape Town is, great restaurants & shops, very nice people, etc....just lovely all the way around. On the flip side, there is a lot of poverty in certain areas, poverty that is much more severe than the poverty we see here in the US. Overall though, he has nothing but wonderful things to say about Cape Town.

Good luck in your decision!!
    Todd & Jen 11.03.01
    Carter Douglas 9.18.05
    Reece Christian 9.10.07

Thanks for all the info, ladies! We'll have to see how things go...but if you have anything else to add, please, by all means!
    Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. ~George Bernard Shaw
    VOX

I've been for only a long weekend (was working in Pretoria). It's gorgeous and the people are friendly.

I wouldn't count on everything being super-cheap, though. I read recently that due to all the tourists that are going there now, prices in CT shops, restaurants, and hotels are approaching London prices.

There is a lot of poverty and a lot of crime and a lot of racial disparity and segregation. It's like Santa Barbara or some other lovely CA beach city right next door to shanty towns as impoverished as you can imagine. You might live in a modern western house, but your backyard might back onto a group of tin shacks with no plumbing or electricity.

It's really really really beautiful, though.

Could you sign a one year contract to see how you like it?
    B. & C. ... Met 2000 ... Engaged 2005 ... Married 2010 ????
    *** Pumpkin baby born Halloween 2006 *** It's a boy!***