Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is considered a "balanced diet"?

I am asking bc my DS is going ot be year in a few days and so his main source of food wont be BM anymore. I want to make sure he is getting a proper balanced diet throughout the day. Also, he seems to be picky-ish eater. Lately he wants ravioli's and thats it! He doesnt like to be spoonfed so I have to steam veggies for him to eat but he only eats a few and throws the rest on the floor. Granted the ravioli's I buy are frozen organic ones and they are really good but he cant possibly live off of those! I have tried a lot of other foods and the only thing that he really eats and enjoys is these raviolis.
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

I like to visit Wholesome Toddler Food - it has lots of good information and recipes for tots.

DS is a pretty picky eater, he was hardly on solids at 12 mo as far as what he actually ate. But, they do eventually learn to eat! We still have days where he doesn't eat much, but he will eat regular food with us most of the time now.
    "Words can only hurt if you try to read them. Don't play their game." Derek Zoolander
    [DS 11.1.06] [DD 6.22.09] [LJ]

How many times is he nursing right now? If he is still nursing a few times, he might be pretty full. Once he isn't getting that, he might start to become really interested in food. I am not a nutritionist, but I would aim for 4-6 fruits and veggies, 4-5 whole grains and 4 dairy/meat.

I am trying to remember when DD was about a year - breakfast would be say 1/2 whole grain waffle with butter, 1/2 banana, milk - lunch would be some black beans, cheese crumbles, peas and carrots, applesauce, milk - snacks would be yogurt, dry cereal, crackers - dinner would be noodles, veggie, fruit, milk.

One thing is to let him choose but don't put too much on his tray/plate. Say 2 pieces of 3 things. Let him start to experiment with forks and spoons and dipping things. I know it is hard but give him options and let him go - keep offering different healthy things and eventually he probably will try it.
    Alison
    Aidan-10/08/03 Caitlin-09/10/05
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed." unknown

bunnybeth Thanks fr the website! I will have to check it out

Alison He nurses about 3-4 times a day (7am, 10am-nap, 4pm-this one he sometimes doesnt want, and then bedtime). Thanks for the tips!! I will have to try that.

I just fully weaned Winona this past weekend (she just turned a year). I have her on soy milk because she broke out in hives from dairy (suspected dairy allergy like her big brother) and one bottle of formula before bed. When I feed her food, I try to change it up, but she is pretty one track too. Loves oatmeal, throws most veggies on the floor but we always offer them, loves fruit and will try most, loves toast/bread with jam. We try our best, but with the dairy allergy it really limits things.

It does get better - DS was the WORST eater and now he'll at least try everything on his plate. He actually went through a period of not eating much of anything for his meals, couldn't have dairy, HATED pasta with a passion, would throw everything on the floor and we were so worried we put him on a vitamin and the V8 fruit/veggie juice to make up for what he wasn't eating...he only wanted oatmeal. Now that he's almost 3, he has turned into a pretty good eater. (and eats pasta )

One thing is to let him choose but don't put too much on his tray/plate.
    I think this is key. I notice when we "load up" DDs tray with too much she gets overwhelmed and everything ends up on the floor. When we put one thing at a time on her tray, she'll pick at it, try it, spit it out sometimes, sometimes throw it, and then will "retry" it...sometimes with success, sometimes not.
    J and E: July '03
    "Bud": August '05
    "Nona Bug": July '07

I think previous posters have given some really good ideas. If you're worried about your DS eating just ravioli, I think what might be good to think about is more of a "balanced day" or even sometimes a "balanced week!"

My ped had a good handout he gave me when DS began solids, and I just made sure to offer two or three things at every meal, making sure that I covered most food groups over the course of the day or week, as it were, and figured that it would eventually all balance out. If I got the sense he was eating too many carbs, I would have a meal where I would only offer, say, sauteed broccoli and baby meatballs.
    mommy journal ~ anemone720 on LJ

My DS is the same age as yours, and I think he eats a pretty balanced diet. His food for the day (in additional to nursing 2-3 times and drinking 2 small bottles at day care) generally consists of:

B: fruit or yogurt and some sort of whole grain bread product (whole wheat blueberry, apple cinammon, or sweet potato waffles or pancakes; homemade pumpkin or banana bread made with applesauce and whole wheat flour; oatmeal; etc.)

S: fruit or yogurt (depending on what he had for breakfast) and some sort of kid snack food like Cherrios, Rice Chex, Veggie Bootie, Whole-Grain Goldfish, etc.

L: some sort of protein (shredded chicken, grilled cheese, turkey sandwich, turkey meatball, Morningstar Farms Veggie Bite, whole wheat cheese or chicken quesadilla, cheese ravioli, stir-fry, etc.), 1-2 servings of steamed veggies, 1 serving of fruit

S: steamed veggie and some sort of kid snack food

D: generally whatever DH and are eating, plus some extra steamed veggies. I try to make sure he gets some sort of protein, a decent amount of veggies, and some sort of whole grain. Tonight, for example, DH and I were having chicken tacos, and DS ate a bunch of the chicken and some cheese, avocado, corn, and rice from our meal, plus some broccoli I made him to round out his meal. He sometimes has a little banana bread, a graham cracker, or something along those lines for dessert.

Just try to make sure you give him a good variety of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and protein and that he eats something from each of the food groups most days, and you'll be fine. But I think all kids have some days when they don't eat anything other than cheese ravioli.

You could also use purees in the sauce on the ravioli - hide sweet potatoes or peas or something in there.
    J and E: July '03
    "Bud": August '05
    "Nona Bug": July '07

I agree with the PP who said to make sure it's a balanced "week". There are going to be days when your DS eats nothing... or maybe a piece of fruit/something. And that's it. And there are other times when you're not going to keep enough food in front of him.

Our DD goes in waves; she loves a food one day/week, the next she can't stand it. We rotate things, and sure there are some foods she has that aren't the healthiest, but overall she's good.

Giving options is good, but making sure your DS is eating is important too. My DD hated peas. We tried; she ignored them. however, she was devouring broccoli. Should peas have been eaten? Yes, but I wasn't going to split hairs over it.

One week she wanted nothing but applesauce - no meat, no bread. We rolled with it. We'd try other things, she'd maybe have a bite or two but that was it. The next week it was something else.

Bottom line; I wouldn't stress too much about it. As long as you have options, your DC will get a balanced diet. Maybe some weeks are "heavier" on one area than another, but it will balance out.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

DS hates anything with a "shell" such as peas, limas and he even hates green beans. i think the texture maybe? He used to LOVE steamed carrotts now he bites into them and spits them out...every.single.one.

Thanks for the tips ladies! Its just so frustrating sometimes bc I will mak ehim food and he either loves it or throws it on the floor and it seems like SUCH a waste!