Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I know a couple my age (mid 30's) who did this. They put "monetary gifts are appreciated" on the invitation. I (and all my friends) thought it was the tackiest thing we had ever seen.

I would normally give cash, but this time I went out of my way to give a gift from their very limited registry.

Very, very tacky.
    The best things in life aren't things.

Quote Originally Posted by mkredhead View Post
    I know a couple my age (mid 30's) who did this. They put "monetary gifts are appreciated" on the invitation. I (and all my friends) thought it was the tackiest thing we had ever seen.

I would normally give cash, but this time I went out of my way to give a gift from their very limited registry.

Very, very tacky.
    WOw. I cannot believe they actually put that on the invite! Pretty funny that you made it a point to give them an actual gift. I wonder if that was NOT "appreciated"!? Hehehhe.

I wondered that too!!!! Especially since she didn't even give a card at my wedding which was two weeks before!!
    The best things in life aren't things.

Because she told me that she has everything she needs as far as stuff that you would normally register for if you didnt have a house yet.
    How blessed she is! She's free then to keep the sentimental gifts she receives and donate the practical items to charity. What she can't do, for any reason, is ask for cash. It's just unacceptable.
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal

Very, very tacky.
    A friend of mine got an invitation like that. On the bottom of the invite it said "monetary gifts preferred". I told her to tape a quarter to her *no* response card and send it back.
    "It's a great day for hockey!" - Badger Bob Johnson (1931 - 1991)

Kaitlyn builds a space shuttle!

Quote Originally Posted by Tara07 View Post
    I have a friend of mine that is getting married in Montego Bay in October and wanted to know how to say that they dont want gifts but money instead?
    Tell her to register for a bunch of crap at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They have a great return policy and she can exchange the gifts for cash.

But yeah she cannot ask people to give her money. It takes a lot for me to think something is tacky but if I opened an invite that asked for money I would be like what the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep?

I'm curious - if she's getting married in Montego Bay I assume she's not inviting a ton of people? Or is she? I guess she could always not register and since most people probably won't go they'll just send a check anyway if they want to give her something.
    Why do people kill people who kill people to show people that to kill people - is bad?

She hasnt sent our her invites yet, but she was wondering how to word it, and I was curious to see what other people thought. I think what she is planning to do is have her wedding and honeymoon in Montego Bay at Sandals and then have a party when they get home. I personally would never ask for money, i personally think it is up to guest to give what they want to give whether it be cash or a gift.

Thanks for all of your opinions.
    Sofia Grace 8/12/11

I would suggest that she actually ask for money to be put to some use. I will use what my DH and I did as an example...

We have both lived on our own and have enough stuff for two households. We also were relocating to another country and weren't sure what we would be able to bring there, much less bring back to the US in a few years. So, on our website (which is our regular site we use to post pictures and generally keep in touch), I posted a letter to our guests that basically said we thought long and hard about what we needed and came up with two items. We really didn't need anything else, but that our love of travel is something that we really wanted to maintain, and that we would graciously accept contributions to our travel fund. In return, we will post pictures of our adventures.

It worked really well for us, our guests all loved it and totally understood the situation.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

Very, very tacky.
    I would have done the same thing.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysgirl424 View Post
    Yeah, we never said that we preferred cash and I'd say that about 98% of our guests gave us cash/checks. And we did not have a destination wedding.
    Ditto this.

As a side note, if it were me, the fact that guests are willing to travel to Montego Bay to share in the joy of my wedding would be gift enough for me.

Asking for cash is tacky. Expecting your (general "you") guests to shell out for airfare, hotel and travel expenses and ask for cash? I guarantee that is a wedding I would NOT attend.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.