Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you balance your checkbook?

So, do you?

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about balancing my checkbook, and was surprised to learn that she doesn't. Then while talking to DD about it, she said that she doesn't balance hers either.

We have online banking so I can check my balance at any time, but I like knowing how much we have in the bank and what is available to spend. At any given time I know roughly how much we have, but I balance our checkbook every week when I pay bills.

So either I'm OCD about our money or normal. Which is it?
    ~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberland30 View Post

So either I'm OCD about our money or normal. Which is it?
    i think it's being responsible!
    I balance my check book. usually every week. I've done it since i was taught how to do it.

i also tend to check online, but sometimes it's easy to forget about purchases/checks that havent cleared and arent showing up online.

we're on a strict budget so i have no choice but to balance the books!

K & J 10.15.05

No, I haven't balanced my checkbook for years. I always assumed I was abnormal, however.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I did it monthly until a couple of years ago when DH made fun of me for it. He just didn't see the point, since he checks his balance online. So I've slacked since then. Now I rarely have any idea how much money we have in our acct. Responsible, eh?
    DS 2004
    DD 2007
    DD 2012

I don't.

I don't write checks very often - maybe 5-6 times a year? In fact, I don't even know where my register is. I just know where I keep my box of checks.

I do keep track of everything I spend. Purchases made with my credit card are written down in a sort of notebook (like a memo pad) and then I compare that to my online statement. We pay off the credit card in full every month, so it's easy. Anything that I don't pay for with the credit card is paid online at my bank's website (mortgage, etc.), so I can see it go through immediately.

I haven't balanced mine in about 4 years since I moved to mostly online banking. In theory, I think I should, but it just doesn't seem worth the time and effort. I used to be pretty vigilant about it though -- I'd go through everything whenever I got a statement, compare the statements to what I'd written down, hold onto the ATM receipts, etc. And in all that time (maybe 20 years of checking?), I never ran into a problem. I still hold onto ATM receipts for a while, but that's about it.

Not anymore. I worked in banking for about 10 years and I was diligent about balancing my checkbook each month. I used to hate when customers would come in with a problem in their account and they had not balanced the checkbook...EVER! LOL. Currently, I have not balanced my checkbook in probably 4 years. I just check my account online. The money comes out pretty much the same day for most transactions because I always use my debit card so I always know how much money I have. DH does not balance his account either.

I don't write many checks either...everything gets paid online or by automatic draft. I'm about to schedule everything for auto payments so I guess I don't really need to keep a register. But that just seems so foreign to me, how to cope? LOL
    ~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???

Quote Originally Posted by karlatta View Post

I don't write checks very often - maybe 5-6 times a year?
    I have to echo this statement as well. I can only remember 3 times I wrote a check in 2007.

Every month. I do it just to make sure that everything is correct & that there are no mysterious payments.