Quantcast
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default TTC Rookie Questions, vol.2

This thread is for all basic TTC questions. Don't feel bad for not knowing, this is the place to find out and ask! You can jump right in with any question, but for faster info you can also use the "search this thread" function in case your answer is already here. (Look at the top left of the thread, it's right there under the page numbers.)

If you have questions about what's going on with your chart, another great thread is Interpret my chart!

link to TTC Rookie Questions volume 1.

I accidently posted this in the Pregnancy Rookie thread, but I think it belongs here:

This is my first post in this thread...I'm not a rookie, I have a 2.5 year old, I have just forgotten lots!

I'm just wondering, how many DPO does implantation occur and when do symptoms typically appear (I know not everyone gets symptoms, though).
    Carrie + Scott =
    Griffin Christopher, 9/1/05

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessCrappy View Post
    I accidently posted this in the Pregnancy Rookie thread, but I think it belongs here:

This is my first post in this thread...I'm not a rookie, I have a 2.5 year old, I have just forgotten lots!

I'm just wondering, how many DPO does implantation occur and when do symptoms typically appear (I know not everyone gets symptoms, though).
    I have read that implantation occurs at approx. 6-12 dpo. I don't know as far as symptoms go. I have heard it can take 2 or more days after implantation for the HCG levels to be high enough to get a BFP though but it depends on how fast the individual woman's HCG levels rise.
    Married 5/21/05~~ DD1 born 2/16/06~~M/C 4/26/08 ~~DD2 born 12/28/09
    + pugs Hewey & Henry, & grumpy old cat Hoss
    FB

Basically what she said, I'll just add that implantation is usually 5-12dpo, the average tends to be 7-10dpo.

Default Prenatal Vitamins

DH and I are planning on starting TTC next month so I'm thinking about prenatal vitamins. Should you take both a prenatal and a regular multivitamin or just the prenatal? Does it matter how long you take a prenatal before conceiving?

Thanks!

I have a question about prescription drugs. I'm currently on a Class C med but I've met with my family practice Dr. and he's looking for other options. The best and closest thing he's found so far is a Class B med.
    Did anyone take a Class B while TTC and/or pregnant? If so did you take it the entire time or did you wait until the second trimester? If not, why did you feel it was in the baby's and your best interests?

LL- Have you spoken to your OB/GYN about TTC? My doctor wanted me on prenatal vitamins for at least 3 months before we started trying. And because I knew this, I never went off them when I had DS, because I knew I was going to TTC within the year... so what was the point in going off them?
    Last edited by JulieHope1; 01-23-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    J+M 9-2-01
    J+M+M 3-10-07

J+M+M+J 9-29-08

Julie Thanks so much for your reply! I saw my ob/gyn in November for my annual exam and we discussed our TTC plans. She took a ton of blood to run genetic screening and also gave me samples for a number of different types of prenatal vitamins. She said once we stopped using birth control that I should start taking a prenatal vitamin, but didn't indicate whether it needed to be done early or that it should be for 3 months. I guess I'll start them right away, which should give me at least 1 month before we're officially trying (and would end up being 6 weeks before conceiving, if it happens on the first try).

I looked around on the web and it seems like the prenatal replaces the multivitamin. Is that right?

Sorry for the silly questions! I'm sure they're only the tip of the iceberg, though!

Basically the prenatal vitamin ensures you are getting the correct amount of folic acid. I don't recall the correct dosage right off hand, so I won't speculate, but that is what you should pay attention to. If you take a multivitamin, you could continue to take both, but I would check the folic acid in your multivitamin first to see if you are already receiving the recommended dosage, or if you could just add a folic acid pill w/o paying more for something that says "prenatal". Also, the three month thing is to formulate the habit of taking the vitamin, which you don't need if you already take a vitamin daily. Folic acid is not something that is stored in your system, so you are "covered" basically the day you start taking it.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    If you take a multivitamin, you could continue to take both,
    I wouldn't do that, personally. If you check the labels on prenatals vs regular multi-vitamins, there are only a couple differences. Like more folic acid and more iron. Doubling up means you're just getting twice as much of every vitamin, in addition to everything you get in your diet.

I'd either go with a multi + folic acid supplement, maybe an iron supplement, OR a prenatal.