Quantcast

Default Apt. Maintenance Won't Fix It!

Ok we have a problem... there's a leak in the AC compressor, which is in our bathroom ceiling... our bathroom has flooded twice and at the moment, we have trashcans and pots/pans to control the water...
    We've called/talked to the maintenance people at the apartment complex 3 times already and they keep saying "We'll be there later today"... this has been going on for over a week... We don't know what to do! DH is getting really pissed and is threatening (to me only, not to the apt. complex) to not pay rent next month (Sept.) if they don't fix it ASAP and he's also threatening to just leave (with me of course ) without paying the break-the-lease fees...

I'm at my wit's end with both the apartment complex and my DH... I don't know what to do!

Advice please!
    Travis & Renee
    liltxangel83 on LiveJournal

You cannot just withhold rent. That is against the TAA lease, which most complexes in Dallas go by. I would send a certified letter to the apartment complex requesting they fix the leak in a timely manner due to the health hazard it has the potential to cause (mold).

Do you have a copy of your lease showing whether or not this is something that you CAN break lease penalty-free for?

I would send a certified letter (a letter they have to sign for when they receive it) stating the issue and if they are breaking any laws. I know when I had some issues with water pouring into our apt. I looked up the laws for the housing for the city I lived in and then quoted those laws in the letter I mailed. The letter really got their attention and they showed up within hours of getting it in the mail. They also made some stupid comments about how I didn't need to threaten them (which I never did) but they felt threatened since I had legal grounds to move out if I so wished due to their lack of responsiveness.

Hope this helps and you get the water issue taken care of!

LML seems to know what the Dallas code says. Most times to withhold rent you have to put it in escrow.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

check your tenant rights. Here in FL, if something like that happened, then you would be able to break your lease without penalty.

Do a google search for your rights, it will give you more power in your fight.
    ~Sabre
    Isabella 3-17-03
    Anthony 9-10-05

Definitely write them a letter, certified, citing specific laws. Also be very specific about what you've done so far to rectify the problem, when you called, what was said.

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/AG_Public...s/tenant.shtml
    May those who love us love us. And for those who don't, may God turn their hearts. And if not, may God turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

This link tells you everything you need to do. Read it carefully and follow the advice.

responsibilities for repairs

Please feel free to send me a PM or e-mail if I can help by explaining legal terminology or anything like that. Good luck.

YAY!!! They showed up!!! Took 'em long enough!

ETA: And... it's fixed!

BTW, thanks for all the advice y'all And LawyerLee, I'm keeping that website you posted in my favorites in case something like this happens again.
    Last edited by TX Sweetheart; 08-02-2005 at 09:44 AM.
    Travis & Renee
    liltxangel83 on LiveJournal