Quantcast

Default BF'ing advice needed!

My daughter is ten months old and for the past couple months she will only breastfeed in our bedroom. If I try any other place there are too many new things to look at or listen too. So if she doesn't eat she will eat like she is starving once we do get home.Using a blanket to drape over her head is not an option as she has hated it since she was born. Any suggestions to get her to eat when we are out?

I think what you're experiencing is a pretty typical phase that most babies go through at some point. Although it can be a nuisance, for a while, you may have to make an effort to take your DD to quiet, dimly lit spaces to nurse. Dressing rooms are pretty boring, as is the car. Also, spend time nursing in other parts of your house (or trying to at least) even if you have to dim the lights, turn on soft music - whatever puts your DD in the mood She'll probably come through this phase on her own.
    sugar, spice & everything nice...
    8/03 & 12/05
    snips, snails & puppy dog tails...3/10

I think it's pretty normal and not much you can do about it. My DD started being like this around 8 or 9 months and at one year is still in this phase. So, I just nurse her in the bedroom. She is old enough to go for longer with not nursing, so it hasn't been too much of an issue if we are out and about. The main challenge was getting her to nurse on a recent cross-country flight--way too many distractions!

Ditto, ditto.

It's kinda lame, b/c I was never one to *hide* in the dressing room or anything -- not that I'm an exhibitionist, but I think it's useful for other moms to see someone BFing, esp. a baby past 6 months. But around that age Joey stopped wanting to NIP, it was way too distracting, so I started using dressing rooms or nursing rooms when available, or bringing him to the car.

We used to have to nurse in the bedroom a lot, but he's better about it now. If we're home during the day and he wants to nurse, he'll concentrate no matter where in the house we are. I think that happened after he started walking, though -- he's able to explore as much as he wants so it's not as fascinating anymore.
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa
    It's kinda lame, b/c I was never one to *hide* in the dressing room or anything -- not that I'm an exhibitionist, but I think it's useful for other moms to see someone BFing, esp. a baby past 6 months.
    Absolutely! I definitely didn't want to suggest anyone should 'hide out' to NIP - I certainly never did! BUT, if it's what you need to do for your *baby's comfort* (as opposed to *society's comfort*), then do whatever you have to do.
    sugar, spice & everything nice...
    8/03 & 12/05
    snips, snails & puppy dog tails...3/10

Thanks for the replies. Well this situation does seem to bother others more than myself. People tell me to keep her out and wait until she is starving then she will eat in public. I prefer not to do that for my own happiness (when the boss ain't happy, no one is happy.). I have nursed in a "nursing room" made in one of the stores in the mall, it is plain, with a chair, change table, sink and nightstand with a lamp. So if I am downtown I can go there, during mall hours of course (I don't remember the last time I was out past 9pm!). Well I guess this too shall pass...... thanks!

Have you tried using a Hooter Hider? www.HooterHiders.com
    My friend and I use these with our babies, though hers is older and can get distracted easily. When she's under this, there's less to distract her so she eventually gets thejob done.