Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I take care of / clean microfiber?

We have a new microfiber sectional - I know they are supposed to be easy to clean - my question is - how?
    (haven't gotten anything on it yet - but I'm sure it is just a matter of time )

Also the couches are less than a month old and I noticed a small tear on the arm of one We did not get the warranty b/c I was told with microfiber they don't treat it anyway - b/c of the type of fabric. Now I'd like to get this small tear repaired before it has the chance to get any bigger.

Anyone know anything about reparing microfiber? I called the store when I first saw it two weeks ago and they never called me back I need to call and bother them again -but if anyone has any insight, would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Robyn & Scott - August 29, 2004
    * SM - July 17, 2007 *
    * BH - APRIL 14, 2010 *

I don't know how to repair it, but I can tell you how I clean my microfiber. Soap and water and vaccum!

First I vaccum the whole couch. Then I take a face cloth and run it under warm water... squeeze a little mild dish soap (i used palmolive), then I rub the dirty spots. I wipe down the entire cushion, edge to edge, to avoid water stains.

After it dries I usually vaccum again, to keep it soft.

I was told how to clean this by the professional who came to my house to clean the couch under the warranty! After I had been using all the crap the warranty people sent me--which he told me could actually ruin my couch. He said (the above) is all I have to do with microfiber, and I'll never need to call him again. I've been doing it for about a year and a half now... we have a light tan couch and chair... and a big slobbery bulldog. It looks brand new!

good luck!

Thanks Jen! We also have a light tan couch - I figure the spills are inevitable.

Still really upset about our little tear - was kicking myself about not getting the warranty - at least you confirmed (sort of) - my reasons for not getting the warranty.

Thanks for responding!
    Robyn & Scott - August 29, 2004
    * SM - July 17, 2007 *
    * BH - APRIL 14, 2010 *

Guess I shouldn't have gotten the warranty! I just use water and a cloth to get the stain out and then use a suede brush over it and you can never tell. I just do the spot not the whole cushion. My couch is chocolate brown and I have 2 newborns so a lot of formula and spit up end up on the couch but you could never tell!
    Missy & Steve 11/9/02
    Jacob 10/07/03
    Matthew & Samuel 7/1/05

Bumping up this thread as I just bought a microfiber sofa and chair in camel color. I chose microfiber mostly because I have 2 kittties who scratched the heck out of our old hand me down furnitures! I have since found scratching pads they love (cheap cardboard ones instead of the carpet ones - who knew?)

My question is: has anyone treated their microfiber furniture with Scotch Guard or other product to make them more durable, easy to clean? Thought I read that somewhere.

We have a medium tan microfiber set (loveseat, oversized chair, and sofa) and I wrecked the sofa with pet stain cleaner. It gummed up and I couldn't get it out--and we have the stain guard, factory applied. I called the warranty people and they couldn't do anything either, so they sent us a new zip cover. Water should do most of the work, really. My mistake was using a ton of the spray cleaner.

Also, blot rather than rub. I scrubbed like mad and the nap got worn. Now that one spot looks years older than the rest of the sofa.

Other than my own mistake, the pieces all look great. Easy to vacuum, pet hair comes right off, and food stains clean up easy. DH spilled fish covered in olive oil on the sofa, and it came out with water and a tiny bit of dish soap.
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

We have a microfiber couch and love seat and we scotch guarded them. A week later my 3 yo dd drew pen on the couch. I applied some Fantastic Oxy Power spray, let it soak for 5 minutes, then wiped it off with a damp cloth. Works like a charm, and there is no residue.

Quote Originally Posted by chinita
    My question is: has anyone treated their microfiber furniture with Scotch Guard or other product to make them more durable, easy to clean? Thought I read that somewhere.
    Yes, we treated our ivory microfiber sectional with Scotch Guard. The reason we did is because this is our second microfiber couch and our first one was amazing, water would just bead up on it. We thought all microfiber was made the same, but alas, it is not. This is cheaper, and even though stains do come out and we can mostly clean with soap and water (chocolate came out with oxyclean very easily), if a liquid were to spill, it would soak in. So we Scotch-guarded in hopes of this helping spills. If yours beads water, I wouldn't bother.
    "Dance like it hurts. Love like you need the money. Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

I have a microfiber couch & love seat in an olive green-ish color. I believe it was treated w/ Scotch Guard by the furniture company before it was delivered (I could be wrong though).

To clean up spills I do basically what everyone else does. A little bit of soapy water and a cloth (although I think I used a paper towel) and it cleaned it right up.

This past summer we had a "dirt" incident. We just bought new plants and had the windows open. A gust of wind came in and before you knew it there was dirt particles EVERYWHERE. In books, on the book case, on the keyboard, in the bathroom around the corner....all over the couch, you name it, there was dirt on it. To get all that off we just used a lint roller and then the vaccum. Didn't want to crush the dirt into the material.

Greenbunny, Lil' Bit, Tanya, and celicacutie81~

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Based on Tanya's experience, I will do the water bead test tonignt and see if I need to spray with Scotch Guard. We got the furniture at major discount so I doubt they were pretreated.