Quantcast

Default Do you have laminate counters with an undermount sink in your kitchen?

Hi all! I'm a long-time lurker, not-often poster, and I love the things you guys all do with your homes here. DH and I are remodeling our kitchen on a budget, and for a variety of reasons, doing laminate countertops. I just learned that Home Depot offers undermount sinks with laminate counters, through a company called Karran. I'd love an undermount sink but can't afford Corian or Granite counters, so this might be a good option.

Does anyone have one of these sinks or know someone who does? How does the laminate look at the top edge of the sink - is it peeling, or does it look good? I've read that the transition from laminate to sink is abrupt and sometimes sharp (unlike corian counters, which are smoothly transitioned.) Since it's just a thin strip of laminate over the top of the sink lip, do you see undulations in the sink bubbling through the laminate skin?

Does the sink seem adequately supported from beneath, from a structural standpoint?

I'd love any info you can provide, or any success or horror stories with this sink or type of installation. Thanks, ladies!!

http://www.karranproducts.com

Actually, I've seen these in person and they really looked fantastic - it looked just as good as a solid surface undermount. IMO though, check out a local laminate fabricator to see what they have to offer - you may be surprised at their craftsmanship and their prices over a big box store.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

The only problem is that water can easily get inbetween the band they use to finish the edge of the sink opening, and the laminate surface. I do think they look really good, but I don't think this process has been around long enough for anyone to know how long it will stand the test of time.

In terms of how well an undermount sink will hold onto a laminate counter, they can always be braced from underneath, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Good luck, and post pictures when you're done!

thanks - good to know they look good!

I'm worried about the things you mentioned, suzubee, so we might pass this time and just go with regular drop-in sink. If we get tired of the laminate pattern in 5 years and freshen it up with something new, we can consider a new undermount sink then, as there will be more years of experience to show if it's worthwhile or not.

DH and I looked at these with our remodel. We ultimately decided against it b/c they only come in white.

That's weird, Southerner, I saw them in SS.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

I saw the 'rim' in all sorts of colours to match your laminate.

SmallSea - if you want something 'different' and are replacing your sink, look at some of the coloured granite composites. We put a black sink in (with our black/slate laminate counter) and even drop in looks amazing and just pushes the look up a notch.
    Tara and Terry: May 13, 2006
    Elizabeth Vittoria: December 21, 2007

I don't have an undermount sink but I wanted to let you know that we have laminate counter tops from Home Depot. I can't tell you how often we are asked if they are granite. We have not had any issue with ours pealing around the sink but I did go for the bullnose edges instead of the flat so I would not have to worry about that. Good luck!