Quantcast

Default The new hot color schemes?

Seeing the thread about blue and brown being trendy made me wonder. What is on the horizon? What color schemes are going to be the next big thing?

We started decorating our house nearly 6 years ago. I still love it for the most part. At the time I read every decor mag out there and felt very in touch with what was "in" and what was "out". I really liked what I chose and for the most part was on the "up swing" for the trends. I like that I got good longevity out of what I chose (meaning colors that I chose then are still popular now). I really like decorating and don't have a strongly defined taste. I could decorate 10 houses differently and be happy living in any of them.

Because I'm not in the loop anymore it got me wondering what will be the next big thing?
    Mom to 3 boys
    9/05, and twins 1/09

granted i don't read design magazines, and barely have time for hgtv these days. . . but i seem to have noticed 2 things.

first - the trend of natural materials seems to be getting stronger. seems like i'm seeing more and more natural materials, more and more beiges and tans, more glass. and a lot of trying to bring the exterior into the interior. stuff like using patio furniture indoors, stone or brick floors, indoor water elements.

on the other hand - i'm also seeing lots of bright colors. the past few years seemed to have been colors - but still kind of muted - the deep russet oranges, and the sea greens and ocean blues - but now i'm seeing more lime green, fuschia pink, aqua blue, bright lemon yellow, fire engine red.

~pixie

I'm seeing a lot of different mixes of styles textures colors and materials that don't classically "go together" if you will. Mixing traditional with modern is a current trend...one that is hard to do right in my opinion, but when done looks really sharp. A lot of walls in magazines seem to be painted white or off white, and colors are used in certain furniture peices and accents. I'll try to find a couple pictures of what I'm talking about...
    e & i 12.22.02
    baby 10.31.10

I just went to Domino's website to pick a few pictures that show what I was trying to explain on the post above.

e & i 12.22.02
    baby 10.31.10

blue and white as a color scheme seemed to be in several magazines that I looked at recently.

BeachBum- Are you beachbum from the WC days? If so, I remember the housebuilding thread and the colors that you used in your house were perfect. It just seemed to fit in with the whole design of your house. I showed my husband (fiance at the time) because I liked it so much.

ivansbabe- I love those pictures.

I was looking for something else on HGTV.com today and found these threads:

Color Trends in the Bedroom

Color Trends in the Dining Room

savannahgrl-yup that's me. thanks for the compliment

fun pics ivansbabe. it sure does make it harder to commit to a funky colored sofa than color on your walls! very neutral colored walls/totally saturated backdrops with bright pillows and chairs.

pixielou-come to think of it I've seen a lot of that "outdoors" in look around. it's funny how these trends creep up on you till it's everywhere!
    Mom to 3 boys
    9/05, and twins 1/09