Quantcast
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    a small drinking island with a fishing problem

Default Trash The Dress- The new post-wedding trend

This web site was featured on the local news today. http://trashthedress.com/ What do you think? Would you do this? Why or why not?
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

Honestly, by the time the wedding was over, my dress was worse than some of those. And it all came out in the dry cleaning anyway (well I think so... I never went over it with a fine tooth comb).

I don't really get why a normal person would do this. I mean, they are very artistic, beautiful photos, but they also look like they are shot for an ad campaign as opposed to hang in the house.
    "He who knows he has enough is rich" - Lao Tzu
    --<--@ Tiffany @-->--
    LJ ~ Chart

I think its awesome, but I'm also a photographer...lol.

Would I do it?? I don't know. I haven't been married yet so its hard to say. Part of me thinks that I would really want to save my dress - but reality says...what would I do with it? The odds of having a daughter later in life that would actually want to wear my dress is pretty slim seeing how styles change so much.

I actually have a dress that I've got hanging in a closet in my house so I can find someone that would be willing to wear it for a THD session with me. I'd *love* to add that to my portfolio.
    Courtney ~~LJ~~
    Don't ask the locals for directions, they already lost one colony!

I would totally do it. My dress has been hanging in my closet uncleaned (I thought I might have it shortened and redone as a non-wedding dress) for the past two years as I decide what to do with it. I definitely want DH in the pictures with me though. Otherwise, I would feel like I was in an ad.

For me and DH, it suits our personalities and our outdoorsy lifestyle to do this kind of thing. It would definitely reflect us for me to put on my wedding dress and go traipsing through the woods or wading through the ocean.

And from another perspective, we really didn't splurge for the type of photographer shooting the type of photography that I love most. I would love to get the chance to really get some really artistic shots.

I told DH about the NY Times article about this and I think we're planning on saving up and doing it for our five year anniversary in some exotic location.

ManteoChik, I've seen some of your photographs in other threads. If we lived closer to NC, I'd totally have you do ours!

I love it! I would totally do it. I don't think I could have commited to it right after the wedding but being married for almost 3 years now my dress has just been hanging in the closet gathering dust. I don't think I would go so far as to set it on fire or lay in a swamp but some of the water shots were great.
    Dirk & Amy 9.18.04
    Aaron 3.20.07
    Sydney and Elle 5.15.09

OMG...the one with the bride in the trunk? Mildly disturbing.

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

Quote Originally Posted by ManteoChik View Post
    [cut]Would I do it?? I don't know. I haven't been married yet so its hard to say. Part of me thinks that I would really want to save my dress - but reality says...what would I do with it? The odds of having a daughter later in life that would actually want to wear my dress is pretty slim seeing how styles change so much
    I'm already married, but that's how I feel. Plus, I've gained 30+ pounds since the wedding so I'd hardly feel sexy in a TTD session. I'm considering using that as incentive to get to my pre-wedding weight, then a photo shoot would be a reward for myself.

I'd love to do a shoot on my ATV in the woods, or at the beach on the Kayak. So much fun!
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

Eh, my dress wouldn't fit. I'm about 60 pounds less these days.

And, it's still sitting in the same garbage bag that I brought it home from the hotel in.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

That strikes me as really strange. I've saved my dress, though I can understand not wanting to do that. There are plenty of things that you can do w/a wedding dress, though. No need to trash it.

I don't like wasting things.

Our family has had two wedding dresses worn by others, and I wore my friend's dress [not to be cheap; I loved her (expensive) dress!]. My mom's prom dress has been worn at least twice by others. If we had trashed them, there would have been at least three girls who would never have had the opportunity to wear a beautiful dress (because they didn't have the money).
    Ooooo, a signature!