Quantcast
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Napa Valley

I would love to read it, if you don't mind.

I would too, it looks like it will be our honeymoon destination!
    2 Crazy Pugs

Ok, this is the thread, and here's my review.

Pinot Blanc - A+
    We had lunch there on our first day and absolutely loved the food, service and atmosphere.
    Martini House - A
    It was too hot to sit outside, so we opted for airconditioned dinning room. Cocktails were a bit disappointing and for the rest of our trip we stuck to local wines. DH's duck was mouthwatering, while my Ahi Tuna was a bit bland.
    Tra Vigne - B
    I guess this trully is a hit or miss spot. It was a bitter cooler that night, so we decided to try out the patio, which was very nice. But as soon as our appetizers arrived, so did the flies. We spent the rest of the meal trying to fight them off. The staff did nothing about this. We did complain and were told that they usually spray the patio between lunch and dinner but didn't get a chance to do it that day. WTF?!? The food was good but we couldn't enjoy it with all the swatting. For the record we didn't not see a single fly or any other insect while eating at Taylor's or Celadon.
    Taylor's - A
    This place was great, I wish we had one in NY. The ahi tuna burger was yummy.
    Bouchon - B+
    I guess I was expecting something a bit above average from Thomas Keller, but Bouchon is a regular French bistro with typical bistro selections. The food was good but nothing we can't get at any bistro in NY. I also thought the mussels were on the small side.
    Terra - A+
    Their Black Cod is an absolute must. It was my favorite meal of the week. I think I can still taste it. I can't even remember what I had for appetizer or dessert, but I remember every detail about the cod. DH tought it was simply orgazmic (the highest compliment he ever pays to food) and is still talking about it.
    Celadon - A
    Another favorite. Their patio is so much prettier than the main dinning room, really glad it finally cooled down to sit outside. DH's Kobe beef was much better than my duck, but overall it was a great place for our final dinner.

Wineries
    We did pay a tasting fee at several of the wineries, but it was only $5 and we thought it was reasonable for the amoung of alcohol provided. Many will also waive it if you buy something. I would suggest visiting wineries off the main road (such as Silverado Trail or CA-29). We got very personal attention and it was great. Our favorites were Artesa and Mumm.

We loved Napa also and cannot wait to go back.

Our dining favorite was definitely The Martini House. It was phenomenal. The setting is gorgeous, the food is fab, and the service is wonderful. Our favorite for lunch was Taylor's Refresher. Great burgers, fries, and shakes. The large lunch was definitely needed after all of the wine tasting. We liked Bouchon a lot but it was a bit loud and not very intimate. Mustards Grill was also great for lunch.

Our favorite wineries were Domain Chandon (gorgeous), Mumm (very fun), Cosentino (very small and intimate and next door to Mustards - put your name on the waiting list at Mustards and go taste at Cosentino), and Cakebread (very big and corporate but good wine). The Sterling wine gondola ride was fairly cool and the view is good but the wine is crap and I didn't think it was worth it.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanine
    Viansa
    Cline Cellars
    BR Cohn
    Gundluch Bundshu
    Sebastiani
    Ferrari-cannon
    Dry Creek
    Lambert Bridge
    Limerick Lane
    Trentadue
    Clos du Bois
    Iron Horse
    Toad Hollow
    Hop Kiln
    Rodney Strong
    J
    Roshambo
    I love the wines at Limerick Lane, and Trentadue was the very first wine club we joined (well, actually, their port club). I'm also a big fan of the Toad Hollow sparkling wine (Risque), and Hop Kiln is so gorgeous; it's one of my favorite wineries to photograph.

Last edited by justHB; 01-13-2006 at 11:47 PM.

bumping...

we're trying to decide between Napa and Sonoma for a trip next month. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Shapsgrl
    we're trying to decide between Napa and Sonoma for a trip next month. Any advice?
    What part of the month? I ask because the Russian River Valley has its annual barrel tasting festival the first weekend in March. It's a blast - we go every year.

JustHB
    We're going March 24-28 for my inlimborelationshipSO/FI's 31st birthday.

too bad - love the RRV. You seem to know a lot about the region. Which would you recommend?

If we go to Napa, we're considering staying at the Carneros Inn (a bit pricey) or the Candlelight Inn. I made reservations on Opentable for Auberge du Soleil for his big birthday dinner but beyond that we haven't done anything other than book our flight.

If we go to Sonoma, friends recommended the Gaige house.

We could use some recommendations so if you have any please send them our way

Oooh, dinner at Auberge! Awesome. Since you're having dinner there, I would say you should definitely stay in Napa. The drive from Napa to Sonoma's RRV is quite long.

In Napa we've only stayed at the Daughter's Inn (nice, but not out of this world extraordinary), but I've heard great things about the following places:

http://www.millikencreekinn.com/
    http://www.oakknollinn.com/index.htm
    http://www.harvestinn.com/index.htm
    http://www.adagioinn.com/
    http://www.villagio.com/villagio/home.html

We only go to Napa a couple of times a year, so I'm not nearly as well versed in their wineries as I am in the RRV ones, but a couple that we have consistently liked each time we go are Peju and St. Clement. Both have - *gasp* - wonderful merlots.

Good luck!

Thanks