Quantcast
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Napa Valley

Thank you for the input! After searching for air fares, we definitely decided on April. The French Laundry is on my bucket list, but I won't be heartbroken if we can't get in. I will try lunch and the other tips! Thank you!

Thanks also for the restaurant recs! I am saving all of the suggestions!
    Maxwell Davis born 2.24.05 Riley Elizabeth born 8.11.07Daniel Dwight born at 21 weeks. Always in my heart. Gabriel Thomas born 1.2.11

Northern Cal ladies, any child-friendly wineries near Santa Rosa? We are going with other families to Safari West this year and staying there.

Oh good! You can give me feedback on safari west!

Not sure if you mean IN Santa Rosa but Healdsburg is about 20 min away and it's a cute little downtown with a lot of tasting rooms you can walk to.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I've been to SW twice. No idea on wineries but two points on SW, assuming you are staying overnight:
    bring choclate and graham crackers for s'mores. They only have marshmallows. We take a bunch and anticipate sharing with other guests
    bring your own wine. They don't mind opening it for you

I'm sure there's more I can think of. It's super fun.

I lived in Santa Rosa for 5 years and always wanted to go to SW. Like Laura said Healdsburg has a cute downtown and there are a ton of wineries around there. It's our go to for wine tasting (but sans children). Going out the other way from SW is Calsistoga which might be even closer. That also has a cute downtown with wineries in town and nearby. Let me think on child friendly places.
    K&K 10.5.02
    E 3.8.05
    M 6.24.09

Thanks all. We are staying at SW for three nights which I fear is too long and we'll get bored. So I'm thinking the first full day the safari and the second full day go to Calistoga or other with all the kids? My sister got married in Calistoga so I recall the cute downtown but would need places to take the kids - maybe winery for a picnic? Calistoga does seem to be the closest to Safari West. 15 mins??

Did I miss your trip? You will definitely get bored. The day after your post, I ended up at Francis Ford Copplola winery. They have a gorgeous pool that I believe you can get day passes for. It is in Geyserville and defintiely doable. Something worth checking out if you think your group would like it.

Bumping this up for Napa dining recs and/or fun things on the Napa side to do with kids, eh?

Our kitchen is still trashed and all of the kitchen innards are boxed up in the guest room, so naturally my MIL booked a trip to visit us Labor Day weekend! Since DD has a half day that Friday and Monday off, I figured the best thing to do is get out of town. My MIL wants wine tasting but of course everything is $$$$ for the holiday weekend, and the fires mostly prevent us from going south. I think I finally figured out something in Napa, but we haven't been there for ages and we've never taken DD there b/c it always seems so stuffy to me. Fortunately the pool/hotel will be a reasonable amount of entertainment for her, and we are staying downtown so I'm hoping my husband and MIL can do some walking around while I take DD to the pool. I just read about the petrified forest and geyser in calistoga, so I put those on my tentative list if we make it that far north. My MIL does not understand that wine tasting is boring for DD, so I am trying to mix in some kid activities nearby tasting options. I read about a couple of "kid friendly" wineries, but I would be really open to suggestions for kid friendly wineries that don't have terrible wine. We will probably do the tram at Sterling, at least. And we will probably hit the V. Sattui market for picnic stuff, but their wine is not my fave. Same with Beringer which comes up often as kid friendly. Non wine related kid activities would also be great, like a great playground, etc.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Laura the petrified forest is RIGHT next to safari west where you can do just the safari tour.
    There is a candy store and a nice pizza/Italian restaurant in Calistoga. That's all I got!

Di Rosa is supposed to be fantastic for kids and I believe it is across from Domaine Carneros