Quantcast
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Napa Valley

Default Napa Valley

DH and I are planning a last minute trip to San Francisco / Sonoma for next week. We are okay with things to do and where to stay in San Francisco because we are visiting a friend, but we are clueless about Sonoma. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay, eat, and what wineries are not to be missed in that area? I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

If $ is no object, there is a fabulous Fairmont in Sonoma, or the Sonoma Mission Inn.

I stayed at the Lodge at Sonoma and it was very nice. Fireplaces and a huge bathtub/spa in the room. We got a great rate through Priceline. You might want to give Priceline a try.

Wineries - Go to Sebastiani, they have beautiful carved casks. The best thing to do (besides researching online) is to drive around and see what strikes your fancy. The drive around that area is gorgeous anyway, and there's little wineries all over the place. You can't throw a rock and not hit a winery. The little family-owned ones are sometimes even more fun. Try Cline Cellars too. They have great wines there. And the Viansa Italian Marketplace is a fun place to go shopping.

One of my favorite restaurants is Cafe La Haye in Sonoma. http://www.sterba.com/sonoma/lahaye/

Sonoma is bit smaller and quieter than Napa, but I love it. I stayed at the Sonoma Mission Inn last December and thought it was charming. Have a great time!

If you head a little further up the Sonoma Valley (nearer Healdsburgh) you get to some of my favorite places!

We love to stay at great B&B www.farmhouseinn.com. They have one of the only 4 star restaurants in the area onsite as well. While we're up there we also like to dine at Ravenous and the Healdsburgh Bar and Grill (lunches or more casual dinners).

Favorite wineries include J (they do fun food tastings with the wines), Russian Hill , Trentadu , and lower down in Sonoma Gundloch Bundchu (sp?)

Have fun!
    aka JenniferinClyde on LJ and jenwedding on WC

We honeymooned in Sonoma. I loved the place we stayed...it was a cabin in the mountains near Santa Rosa.

Clair de Lune

Check Fodors message boards...there's usually a current thread about restaurants in the area. We had a wonderful meal at Cafe Lolo.
    Tinker/bella

Sonoma is actually a fairly large region, made up of smaller sub-regions. Do you know which part you are most interested in visiting? My favorites are the Dry Creek, Alexander, and Russian River Valleys, which are basically all in one area.

My favorite lodging in the area is the Inn at Occidental. They have such beautiful, comfortable rooms, and the breakfasts are so delicious. I've also been interested in staying at the Grape Leaf Inn in Healdsburg, or the Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant in the Russian River Valley.

Some of my favorite wineries in these three regions are:

Robert Young Estate Winery (the only Chardonnay I truly love)
    Trentadue Winery
    Stryker Sonoma
    Hanna Winery
    Bella Vineyards
    Lambert Bridge Winery
    Limerick Lane
    Roshambo Winery
    Hop Kiln Winery
    Iron Horse Vineyards
    Sunce Winery
    Toad Hollow Healdsburg
    Arista Winery

Good luck, and have a blast!

Thank you so much for all the recommendations. We just got back, and had a great time. We wound up staying at the Inn at Occidental - (thanks justHB ). It was such a gorgeous place to visit and the wine was fantastic. The only bad part was having to lug all of the wine we bought home on the plane. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanine
    Thank you so much for all the recommendations. We just got back, and had a great time. We wound up staying at the Inn at Occidental - (thanks justHB ). It was such a gorgeous place to visit and the wine was fantastic. The only bad part was having to lug all of the wine we bought home on the plane. Thanks again!
    I'm so glad my recommendation worked out for you guys.

Which wineries did you end of visiting?

Aaah I see you just got back. I am glad you had a nice time! For anyone going in the future, here are a couple of recommendations.

I love the Sonoma Mission Inn and Resort. It's a Fairmont property, but small and not "resortish".

I also really enjoy the St. Francis Winery. I usually rent a car and drive from San Francisco (another great town!) and then drive a few minutes into the "downtown" Sonoma area and shop.

H.

I have a couple of future winery recommendations, too!

Roshambo
    Passalaqua
    Hop Kiln
    Toad Hollow

Enjoy!