Quantcast
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Default Mac Owners/Users: Apple Love

I have noticed there are a number of us on CC who use and/or own Macs, as well as quite a few questions about Macs on the boards, so I thought I'd see if we could get a Mac thread going.

Feel free to share reviews of products, accessories, and software, ask questions, or share news.

LINKS:

Apple
    Mac Life
    Mac World
    Mac Work Blog
    Google Software Downloads for Mac
    The Unofficial Apple Weblog
    Focus on Macs

RELATED CC THREADS:

Let's talk iPods & iTunes

RELATED LIVE JOURNAL COMMUNITIES:

Macintosh
    Apple World
    Mac Addicts
    OS X Hardware

RECOMMENDED BOOKS:

Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger Ed by David Pogue
    Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition by David Pogue and Adam Goldstein

Last edited by lawyerlee; 03-20-2007 at 04:19 AM.

Me & Macs:

I've been involved in journalism since grade school, so I started using Macs then and have loved preferred them ever since. Though I work in communications now, I am in a legal environment, so I use a PC. It's fine, but I do prefer using Macs.

I own an old-school purple iMac and a white iBook. We mainly use the iMac for Internet and use the iBook for everything else.

Just in case your Mac isn't ready for the early Daylight Savings Time tomorrow, here is an article that will help you get it ready:

Getting a fix on Daylight Saving Time
    Make sure your Macís software is up to date
    Mac World
    By Ted Landau

Starting this year, in most locations in the United States and Canada as well as in numerous other regions around the world, Daylight Saving Time (DST) will begin on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November. This is an earlier start and a later finish than in previous years.

This can spell trouble for any device with a built-in digital clock that provides automatic adjustment for the shift between DST and Standard Time. The problem is that, unless these devices are updated for the new rules, they will shift to and from DST on the wrong dates. And those devices can include your Mac.

I didn't get an Airport card when I ordered my iBook, so I've been looking into options for going wireless with minimal effort and expense. We already have a wireless router at home, which I use with my work laptop, so I settled on this product:

G54SL+ Mac Wireless USB Airport Card

I'll be back with thoughts and a review when I get it.

Yay! A Mac thread!

I grew up using Macs, I had an Macintosh II back in the 80s. Got a Mac laptop in the mid-90s. Switched to Windows in high school and HATED it (still hate it. I'm completely Windows illiterate), switched to Linux in college and liked it but found it too high maintenance. Finally, I switched back to Macs last fall when I got my lovely little 13" MacBook.

I LOVE MY MACBOOK!

This is seriously the greatest little computer to ever compute. FH has a 15" MacBook Pro that he feels the same way about, and we also have a 12" PowerBook G4 with a broken screen (it was sat on) that needs repairing.

As for accessories, we've got an Airport Express, which rocks. Boosts the wireless router and plays iTunes wirelessly from your computer over your home stereo. It's also great for hotels without wireless internet, it's so tiny it's no hassle to throw in your suitcase.

We also have video iPods, which might be the best travel toy ever. I could never fly without mine again.

So, what browser are you using? I didn't like Safari, so I tried Camino. Then FH got me to use Gran Paradiso. But it's an alpha test release, and daily bug reports, while very useful for the developers, grow old quickly. So, now I'm using Firefox 2.0. I think I liked Camino better in some ways, and even Gran Paradiso, but Firefox is far more stable and I'm really tired of crashing my browser.
    eminently practical and yet appropriate as always

Default True Devotion

Wow, that's crazy!

I use Firefox, too. I used Safari for a long time, but I finally got annoyed enough with it to look for something else. It seemed really buggy to me. I really like Firefox.

Thanks for starting this thread. My PC laptop died, so yesterday I got a MacBook Pro. DH has been wanting to get one, so we figured I'd be the guinea pig. If I like it, he'll get one. I've used Apple "desktops," but never a laptop.

My biggest issue with it right now is that I can't get text on web sites to look really crisp. All text appears a little blurry and seems to bleed. I've tried all the settings under System Preferences, but none seem to work. Did anyone else have this issue? How did you fix it? Thanks!

Which browser are you using? Is it only webpages, or do other apps have the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Niobe View Post
    Which browser are you using? Is it only webpages, or do other apps have the same problem?
    It happens in both Safari and Firefox. It just seems to be with web pages.

Quote Originally Posted by ejs View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread. My PC laptop died, so yesterday I got a MacBook Pro. DH has been wanting to get one, so we figured I'd be the guinea pig. If I like it, he'll get one. I've used Apple "desktops," but never a laptop.

My biggest issue with it right now is that I can't get text on web sites to look really crisp. All text appears a little blurry and seems to bleed. I've tried all the settings under System Preferences, but none seem to work. Did anyone else have this issue? How did you fix it? Thanks!
    I found this information in Mac help. Maybe one of these tweaks will do the trick:

Text on the screen looks fuzzy or jagged

If the fonts on your screen look fuzzy or jagged, you may want to adjust the font smoothing style or change how large text should be for Mac OS X to smooth fonts.

To smooth the fonts on your screen:
    1 Open System Preferences and click Appearance.
    2 Choose a font smoothing style from the pop-up menu at the bottom.
    3 Choose a point size from the "Turn off text smoothing for font sizes" pop-up menu.

For all text in the font size you choose, and smaller, text will not be smoothed.

If your fonts look jagged, you may need to decrease the point size so smaller text is smoothed. If fonts look fuzzy, increase the point size.

I don't have much to add to this thread, yet, but wanted to jump in and say hi! I currently have an iBook and am looking to upgrade probably within the next year or so. I don't have any problems with my laptop, but I think I want a desktop to go along with it .

As for browsers, I use Firefox and love it!

I'm a journalist and have used Macs religiously since a couple years before college. And, of course throughout college, all we used were Macs. My first job out of college was at an advertising agency and we all used the Mac Mini. That little thing was awesome!! The best part about it was that you could pick what type of screen you used.

I'm sure I'll be back to check up on everything. I'm not all that computer literate, so I'm not sure how much help I'll be if there are any specific questions. Maybe I'll learn from this thread!

eta: ejs - have you tried going to "View" and then changing the size of the text?
    Tracie & Token: May 15, 2004