Quantcast
Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast

kellie I went onto IVF connections some while I was going through IF treatments and pretty much read along- I don't think I posted a whole lot there-but I do remember there being an IUI area. I did 5 IUIs before I got pregnant and it is stressful! The RE actually recommended IVF for us, but we would have had to pay out of pocket, where our insurance paid for up to 12 IUI cycles a year! We started out with the plan to do 6 IUI's and then reevaluate. I did 3 cycles on Clomid -the stuff is evil by the way - I was totally crazy for at least 2 of those cycles. The next 2 cycles were with injectibles. Did you do IUI during the 2 cycles that you ovulated or will this be your first IUI?

Unfortunately our insurance has no infertility coverage so anything would be out of pocket. That is mostly why I have only been seeing my OB and not going to an RE. My OB is able to code some things in a way that insurance covers ultrasounds due to my cycles being irregular. We haven't tried IUI yet, but I think that is the plan for next month, along with an HSG. The OB told me that if I have 3 ovulatory cycles without a pregnancy that we should check my tubes. My husband had an SA and there are no issues there. And yes, clomid is evil! I am pretty much always hot and my moods are all over the place. I thought the side effects would only be during the 5 days I took the meds. Silly me! Taking clomid during the Summer is a very bad idea! I seriously want to live in an igloo.

I am nervous about this cycle. I am CD 16 and my monitor hasn't even turned to "high" yet, let alone "peak". In the two other cycles I had high readings starting on CD11 and CD 14, ovulating CD 21. Last month the monitor didn't even catch the peak, but I was using the OPK and got a positive with that. Ovulation was confirmed with progesterone draws 1 week after ovulation both cycles.

I haven't discussed this with my OB, but does anyone know how many cycles you can take clomid? I feel like I heard 6 somewhere, and that is making me nervous too because this is cycle 4.
    LJ: SparklingStar21

I think it is 6, but I would probably move on after 4 if I were you.

Re: your insurance, do you have any other options? IIRC, in California all large companies (IIRC >50 employees) are required to at least offer a plan that has at least some IF coverage. When we were going through infertility treatments, I scoured every single policy available to us (my husband and I both worked at large companies at the time w/ multiple insurance company options) and selected the insurance that offered the best coverage. It was United Healthcare and it still wasn't great, but it was something like 50% of any treatments up to something... maybe $20K total? And $5K meds, flat. We still ended up paying $$$$ out of pocket, but even basic coverage would be helpful for something like IUI, and seeing a RE.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Kellie: I never did just clomid, so I don't know why you would be limited in cycles of Clomid- it can't be because of the hormone amounts since you are WAY higher doses of hormones for IVF (and even IUI) cycles. So if the limitation stems from cancer risk, I highly recommend you switch to Femera- it is the same as Clomid but supposedly with less of a cancer risk and less side effects.

I think that that is a limit on Clomid and 6 is sticking to me, but I'm not sure why. I know that Clomid is cheap so a lot of OB's will just give it - my first OB was going to just prescribe it (no monitoring) and I questionned her why we were doing any sort of testing so she ordered a SA for DH. We go the results before I started the Clomid and she said forget it -go directly to the RE. One of the first things they did was an HSG, so I wouldn't bother wasting money on IUI until you have an HSG at least!

Kellie: I'm really sorry for your struggles. When we were going through IF the support boards here were busy and were a godsend. I also visited IVFC but didn't post much if at all. There was another site I went to which was a bit more ... easy going called fertile thoughts. Not sure if it's still around though.
    We did three rounds of Clomid before moving on. Like you everything was out of pocket. We did three or four IUIs a few injectable-only cycles and then our IVF cycle, which was partially covered because we were part of a research trial.

Also, I agree with mcgwigan, I'd not do an IUI until you do the HSG, especially if you are self-pay. And the HSG should be covered because it's not a treatment, but it's a diagnostic tool.
    Loving my DDs and DS

Just an update. I did end up ovulating last cycle but my progesterone level was much lower than previous cycles so my OB put me on 150mg clomid this cycle. I had the HSG a few days ago, and everything looked fine. DH and I met with an RE today. I really wish I would have gone to her sooner. I was so nervous about going to an RE, and I really shouldn't have been! We are planning on doing an IUI this cycle. I'm so glad I was able to get an appt with the RE early enough in the cycle to do an IUI. She said we could consider Femera and IUI for a few cycles or move onto injectibles. I hate that at the age of 32 I am being made to feel like I need to do something NOW because my fertility is declining.
    LJ: SparklingStar21

Kellie: I hear you. I was 29 when I saw the RE for the first time and I felt like a total Teen Mom in the waiting room. But good for you for going ahead with it anyway. Good luck with your IUI.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Kellie, so glad to hear you saw the RE and are happy about it. I did clomid for a few cycles, then femara, then injectibles. In retrospect I wish I'd just jumped onto the injectibles right away so it wouldn't have dragged out as long, but you have to do what you're emotionally ready for at the time.

It really sucks to go through this period, but to be on the younger end and going through it is a little extra insult. I went to the RE when I was almost 28 and got pregnant (injectibles) at 29 and 31, so I totally get it.

OTOH - as someone who did not see an RE until she was 41; if you have issues - I would say GO NOW WHILE YOUR EGG QUALITY IS STILL GOOD. Because it will suck to wait a few years "keeping trying" and end up going to an RE in 4-5 years, and then you are dealing with diminishing egg quality on top of whatever else your problem is. I didn't really have a choice; I didn't get married until age 39 but I wish I had got on the ball sooner. Because now my only hope of pregnancy is donor eggs.

Good luck to you!