Quantcast
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Newbie here too!

Hi ladies, this is my first post on this forum, and I dont know if Im taking over someones post, or if Im allowed to post here?!
    I am JUST discovering our infertility issues, and have lots of basic questions if anyone is willing to answer, or direct me where to ask them! Thanks!

Islandmom2b, welcome, glad you found the boards. This thread is perfect for basic questions, that's exactly why it was started. Ask what you want here & we'll try to help.

Thanks Scooter! I posted in the forum, too. In case this was someone else's post I was taking over!!! But you replied to my other post, and I really appreciate it! It seems like you have alot of knowledge! Thanks for sharing!

Default IUI Questions

We are doing our first IUI this cycle...Femara + Injectibles + Trigger. I have some questions...

(1) Are you supposed to BD around the IUI? We were abstaining, but I was reading a bunch of posts on ovusoft.com where a lot of people were saying that they BD'd the day before or 2 days before. I have an u/s tomorrow so I'll ask then, but I was just curious about others' experiences.

(2) When do they try to time the IUI- O day, before O? I always O on CD13, 14 or 15- usually 15. My RE said he'll be doing the IUI either Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday (I guess he's doing back to back?), which will only be CD 11&12 or CD 12&13. Maybe the drugs make you O early? I did have some BIG follicles at my last u/s (CD8)!

(3) Do you have to rest the day(s) of your IUI? I'm throwing a baby shower on Sunday, so on Saturday, I'll be cleaning like a madwoman, and Sunday, I'll be running around for the shower.

Taffers Looks like we're on this journey together. Tomorrow is my first CD12 u/s and first cycle with Clomid+Trigger+IUI. Here's what my doc told me:

1. Abstain 24 hours before the IUI. If we were only doing one, he's recommend BDing in the evening too or the following morning.

2. It sounds like you're also doing two IUI's. I was told it would be trigger at night, first IUI the next morning (12 hours later), second IUI the morning after that. The second IUI would typically be O day. I've checked out some charts on FF with two IUI's, and this seems to be the norm.

3. My doc told me to not do anything "strenuous" on the IUI days. He said running was out of the question, but if I wanted to do low-impact exercise, that would be fine. I think the concern is more with the possibility of larger than usual ovaries as opposed to concerns with the IUI working.

Good luck! And if you find out any more interesting tidbits, I'll be checking in.
    K+T: 7/9/05
    Baby R: 1/25/08

On our last two IUI's, we abstained for about 30 hours. It made a tremendous difference in the count, as for the earlier IUI's we abstained only one night.

I feel like this is a dumb question...but what determines whether you need Clomid or not? I read up on it online, but it's nice to get straight answers.
    ~*Josh & Jenni*~
    Journal

may27jnj - ultimately, your Dr. But really, clomid works best for those that O late or those that don't O at all. Other people that benefit are people with a weak ovulation and those with low progesterone.

Often, clomid is like the first line of defense that Dr's will use, and thus, many unexplained folks will also start on clomid.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

Ok. Thanks jennylou! I was just wondering. I don't O at all so it could work for me. I guess I'll just see what my Dr. says. Sounds better to me than Provera and BCP when we're TTC.
    ~*Josh & Jenni*~
    Journal

taffers I have been doing Clomid + trigger.
    1. They have told us to BD the night of trigger and then abstain until IUI, which has been 36 hours later. So, If I trigger on Wed night, we BD, then abstain until IUI on Friday Morning.

2. You usually O about 36 hours after trigger shot, which is why they use it. They have told me to trigger after 9 pm and IUIs have been around 9-10 am 2 mornings later. I haven't had double IUI, probably due to our male IF...the counts would probably not be very high for the IUI if we did back to back ones.

3. They have told me that I can do usual daily activities, but not anything strenuous, such as major exercise, lifting weights etc.
    Hope that helps some!

May I think that you should ask your Clomid question to your RE if your seeing one. My OB was going to give me Clomid before any sort of fertility testing was done, kind of a "lets see if this will work" approach that I was not a fan of. Upon questionning she decided to order a SA, which was bad & I got referred to an RE & DH to RU. I've only been taking Clomid since starting IUI's. I O well on my own, but for me, the Clomid is to try to get me to release 2 eggs for the IUI, hence giving the sperm more targets.
    Some people are given Clomid because they don't O on their own, or maybe have a weak O. Also, I'm pretty sure that Clomid also increases progesterone production after O so it may be used for that also. Sorry such a vague answer, but I think it just has many instances where it would be used. There's really no cut & dry answer.