Quantcast
Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Infertility Rookie Questions

Although none of us feel like "rookies" once we are dealing with infertility treatments, I know I still have some basic questions, and I don't want to have to start a new thread for every topic. In addition, I thought this would be a great thread for people who might not quite be there yet.

Default So here it goes...

I recently had a lap, hysteroscopy and HSG. My RE now wants to proceed to IUI.

I have read all the IUI threads, but they seem to deal with people who are already in the process and know what they are talking about...there isn't really anything like IUI for Dummies!

I get the basics of how it is performed, but everyone talks about IUI+trigger and IUI+injectibles...can someone explain that? So you can do just IUI, IUI+trigger and/or IUI+injectibles???

(I have some more questions on other topics, but I don't want to overload this one post!)

taffers
    Just plain IUI would be an option if you ovulate regularly. If they know that you ovulate on a given day every month, they can just schedule the IUI near this time. If you don't ovulate the same every month, they can add the trigger to guarantee (I say guarantee, but not everyone even ovulates with the trigger as I understand it- it just increases your chances) that you'll ovulate when they want you to. Then the injectables is added if you don't ovulate regularly to get you to produce the eggs. They monitor the follie growth and when they are reaching maturity, then they trigger and do the IUI. That's the basics- I'm sure other's have more to add. I never did the IUI because after injectables we had to go straight to IVF.

Ok, that makes sense. I do ovulate every month, usually on day 14-15 although it's been as late as day 18. My RE didn't say if it would just be IUI or IUI with something else. I thought he mentioned Clomid, but why would I take Clomid if I O every month?

And what is a trigger exactly?

Sometimes they give clomid to ensure a stronger O.

A trigger is a shot that is supposed to force you to ovulate.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

Jenny- I ovulate like clockwork every month (we have male factor) and I decided to go ahead with Clomid +trigger+IUI because there is a greater success rate than for IUI alone.
    Ideally they would like 2 eggs to release, because that creates more targets for the swimmers! I reacted well to the clomid and there should have been three eggs released (at least I had 3 follicles with the potential to release an egg). They had me do a trigger shot as well & instructed me to inject myself at night between 9 & 10 and IUI was scheduled for 2 mornings afterwards because you should O 36 hours after trigger. The medicated IUI just increases your chances of a successful cycle. My RE told me that getting pregnant naturally for us was unlikely, it would be like winning the lottery. IUI alone would increase out odds to about 5-10%/cycle and Clomid+trigger+IUI would increase our chances to about 20%.

Just wanted to clarify:

With an IUI, you can do either a medicated or unmedicated cycle. I think most RE's will recommend a medicated cycle. This means that they will have you take some kind of medication, to increase the number of follicles you produce and therefore ideally increase the number of eggs that you will release. There are different types of medications that they can use to do this. Clomid is a medication given in a pill form. "Injectibles" are medication giving via a shot.

For the most part, if you're doing a medicated cycle, your RE will probably also have you do a trigger shot. This is the IUI + trigger. I think the other girls did a good job of explaining that.

FWIW, prior to my IUI's, I also ovulated regularly. The medication and trigger shot are so your RE can more closely monitor/control your cycle and the timing of your ovulation. Everything w/ IUI's (or BD in general) is about timing.

mcgwigan Thank you for your explanation. We also have MFI and I was wondering if I should have an IUI w/out any meds/trigger shots since I O every month. But it does make sense to to add the meds/trigger. Thank you for the info.

Thank you ladies! This has been so informative!

So my next question is:

Is there any point to take Clomid (by itself) if I ovulate regularly? All the information on the web I've read says it's basically pointless to take it if you're ovulating regularly, but based on what I've read here, it looks as if it may cause me to release more than one egg? Two is better than one!

I feel like I've also read somewhere on CC (probably in a Clomid thread) that Clomid may make ovulation or your egg stronger or something? Is that true?

Even though we've been charting and trying for so long, I still just want to take baby steps when it comes to infertility treatments so that's why I'm wondering if there would be any point in just taking Clomid before moving to IUI.

C'est La vie I was originally going to try IUI unmedicated for a few months, which my RE did give me the choice, but went medicated because the odds are increased. I'm happy I did it that way, because even though my insurance covers the IUI and meds, it's pain to make so many trips to the RE for monitoring. I'm going for fast results (I hope!).