Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Yoga

Default Hot Yoga

Does anyone else do hot yoga? Do you like it? How often do you practice?

I started doing hot yoga about 2 1/2 months ago. I had never done yoga before (let alone yoga in a room that is 105 degrees), but I really enjoy it.
    Married Life Begins 4.26.03
    Life with our Son Begins 6.22.08

I lost 25 pounds because of "hot yoga" same as Bikrams right? I became an addict!! I ADORE IT!!

I had to quit for about a year since I moved and my body started feeling like CRAPPOLA!! I was so excited to see your post I am starting again this Saturday!!

Whats your fav pose? I love all the standing poses!

Good for you! I love yoga, but not hot yoga at all. One day, the class I went to (not supposed to be bikram) was in a room with an a/c that broke--I almost passed out and had to lie on the tile floor of the bathroom for awhile.

Having said that, yoga is good . I think it's the same poses, just hot, right?

I enjoyed Bikram yoga until one session when my body temp went up way too high--I had to stop three times in the middle of the class to regulate my temp. Since then I've just been doing Iyengar and Ashtanga.

I do like how flexible I am in the hot room.

Seeing as I live in PHX where it was, oh 118 the other day 105 doesn't bother me one bit. But when I lived in Flagstaff I took DH and he said he felt like passing out. I like it mainly because of how flexible you are in the heat.

I have been wanting to try Bikram for awhile now and I think next week will be my first time. Any advice?
    "I'm not home, but my shoes are. Leave them a message." - Carrie (SATC)

My advice is to REALLY hydrate beforehand.

- Do not eat for at least an hour beforehand.
    - Bring your mat and a big towel and a small hand towel, to wipe your face.
    - Wear tight fitting leggings and a top, the loose stuff feel GROSS all sweaty.
    - IF you feel dizzy, lightheaded or yucky, lay down and ride it out. Get back into it when you feel better, the first half of the class is the hardest the second half is just stretching.

HAVE FUN!! let us know how it goes!

I went to an actual Bikram studio yesterday and I have to admit is was about twice as hard as my regular "hot yoga" (90 degrees plus)class. YIPES! It was SO SO SO HOT (105) and HUMID! I was dizzy, nauseous, and the air was so thick! But there was something about the challenge that I love. I bought a month unlimited so we will see how long it takes for me to get over the "beginner" troubles.

Bump! I just started Bikram and I'm strangely drawn to it. I've never done any type of Yoga before so I have nothing to compare it to but I can't believe how hard some of the poses are. I'm better at it when I've had a good night's sleep the night before but even when I do toned down poses, I'm sore the next day.

Anybody else still doing it? How long does it take to be able to the basic poses?

Hi Julia, yup I still do it, not as often as I did or should but I do it about once a week. I would do it more but I am training for a half marathon and just don't have the time for yoga AND all that running although they would be a great compliment to eachother!!

How long does it take to be able to the basic poses?
    There is no answer to this, everybodies body is different and we are all flexible in different areas. I went with my sis when I was in San Fran to see her and while she was wonderful and backbends she was awful at anything having to do with hamstring flexibility. And I was the opposite. It was funny actually. But what I can say is you will notice MAJOR improvements VERY VERY quickly as far as flexibility goes. As far as balance that will continue to change DAILY! Some days will be GREAT, some will SUCK! Depends on hydration, what you ate, how you slept, the weather, etc. At least that is how it is for me!

You are right IT IS HARD but it whips your butt into shape and gets your strong and BALANCED! It is a beautiful practice and your bosy will thank you for it. I never get sick, injured, and I have NICE muscle definition to boot! Flexibility is key to long healthy life too! Good for you for doing it!!
    ~~Jen & Josh~~
    Together-2.14.1997 Engaged- 12.9.2001 Married - 6.22.2003

My Super Spicey Life Continues