Quantcast
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Maui Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket4 View Post
    So ladies, one of the last pieces of our trip to decide on is which luau to book (I hear the good ones book up way in advance, and we're already running short on time).

So, do y'all prefer the Old Lahaina Lu'au or the Feast at Lele? Both sound great, but if there's a good reason one might be better than another, let me know!
    we followed the advice of Maui Revealed and booked the Old Lahaina luau. while we don't have a basis of comparison, we really enjoyed it - both the food and the entertainment.

I haven't been to the Feast at Lele, but loved the Old Lahaina Luau! Definitely the most authentic luau on the island.

~H.

I'm glad there is positive feedback on the Old Lahaina Luau. We just booked the show a few days ago for our trip in May.
    J & E - August 2003

The Trilogy tour to Lanai was good in that everything was done for us; all we had to do is show up and go. In reading the information on the website, I somehow fell into the impression that we'd be anchoring off the coast and snorkeling, but that was not the case. We pulled into the harbor, took a van tour of Lanai, then came back down to shore for snorkeling off the beach in front of the Manale Bay Hotel. Again, not really what I had envisioned, and given the price, I was somewhat disappointed. That said, the weather was fantastic and the snorkeling was great, so it was a good time. But yeah, kind of expensive for what you get.

Now that we're back, if I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would stay in Kapalua. It's not that I didn't like Kapalua, because I did, but the weather was AWFUL. We had gale force winds (30+ mph) every night and torrential rainstorms that were so loud they'd wake me up. Fifteen minutes away in Lahaina the weather was gorgeous. I hear this is something that only happens in the winter, so maybe if I was going in the summer, I'd stay there, but NOT in the winter. That said, our favorite beaches during the trip were Kapalua Bay and Napili Bay and they're right there, so there's that.
    Last edited by justHB; 02-23-2007 at 11:36 AM.

I was pretty disappointed in Lanai in general when we visited. It was boring and didn't feel like Hawaii to me at all. The snorkeling there was amazing, though!
    "Every man is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him" - Emerson

Thanks for reporting back on the Trilogy tour, JustHB! I'll keep telling people to skip Trilogy and take the ferry over. Way cheaper and more flexible WRT time. They can always take the shuttle up to Koele if they want to see the village.

FYI - photos from our trip over in the travel photo thread.

http://www.constantchatter.com/forum...ead.php?t=5422 (start at post 422)

HB, those pictures are fabulous!

We just got back from our week long stay on Maui. We stayed at the Mahana at Kaanapali. They are condos but are run/maintained by ResortQuest.
    My DH, DD, SIL and I had reservations for 2 studios. When we checked in we were given our keys and we went to check out our rooms. DH and I got a 1 bedroom 2 bath suite! The kitchen was a bit dated(think '80's cabinetry/appliances) but very clean. There was carpeting throughout the condo and in places it was a little dirty. But we didn't care. The living room/dining room was huge and had a large picture window looking out onto the ocean. The bedroom was also huge with a large picture window looking out onto the ocean. The furniture wasn't to my taste but it was clean and comfy.
    DD came over and told us that they had turned down the first room that they were given because the carpet was dirty. She was going to check out the other room. We checked out the other room and it had new tile throughout the studio but had dated kitchen cabinets. DD/SIL decided to take the second room. If they hadn't liked that room they could have looked at as many rooms as they needed to find one they liked! We asked the desk clerk why DH/I had a 1 br/2ba suite instead of the studio?(not that we were complaining!) We were told that the owner had it classified as a studio because it didn't have a sleeper sofa.( to be able to qualify as a 1 bedroom. the condo has to be able to sleep 4 people). So DH and I lucked out!

Every morning we sat on our lanai and had breakfast and watched the whales. What a sight they were. Some mornings they were only about 100 yards away! I would have been very happy whale watching all day. The first day that we were there we watched one jump up in the air over and over again. We must have watched for 30 minutes. What a way to start a vacation. We had perfect weather every day. It started to rain yesterday when we left but even the rain was nice!

The staff at the Mahana were very friendly and accomadating. There isn't a restaurant at the condo but there are 2 restaurants within walking distance that you can eat at and charge your meals to your room.
    All of their rooms are ocean view and they are right on the beach.

DD/SIL went snorkeling about 150 feet away from the condos and it was amazing they said.
    We went on one of the Trilogy snorkeling tours to Molokini. It was a bit choppy when we were there so DH/I didn't enjoy it too much. (We're not strong swimmers.) DD/SIL had a great time. Our second dive was at Wailea to see the sea turtles. It was alot calmer there and the sea turtles were awesome.

We went to the Old Laihana Luau and had a great time. The entertainment was beautiful and the food was very good.

We didn't do the road to Hana after hearing about the narrow roads and steep drops. My DH likes to sightsee as he is driving and we didn't want to go over a cliff because he was looking at something other than the road!!

We had the best vacation ever and we will be going back to Maui again soon.

Aloha

Ruth

Default great deals

$279-$318 -- Fly to Hawaii from the Bay Area, Roundtrip
    http://airfare.travelzoo.com/north-a...airfare/290752

$199 -- Stay Beachfront in Maui, 40% OFF (Sheraton Maui)
    http://hotels.travelzoo.com/hawaii-hotels/290584