Quantcast
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Maui Chat

We're going on our second trip to Maui in October. We'll be staying for 10 days. We weren't planning on a return trip until next year, but I came across some great prices for flights that I couldn't pass up. In order to save even more money, we've opted not to stay at a posh resort for the whole trip. We'll be in a condo for 7 nights, and then one of the Ka'anaplai resorts for the last 3 days.

I found this great Lahaina condo on www.vrbo.com, The Outrigger Aina Nalu. I was able to negotiate a price of $140/per night. It's located just steps from Front Street. It's not on the beach, but that not a huge deal for us. It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath newly renovated condo. It has a full kitchen with a dishwasher! That'll help us cut down on our dining out expenses.
    And check out that bathroom!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohana View Post
    JustHB If you're willing to pack your own lunch and snorkeling equipment, I would recommend taking the ferry. That is, unless you got a really killer deal on the Trilogy Tour. The ferry is $50 round trip, IIRC and has multiple sailings a day. You would catch the ferry in Lahaina (near the Trilogy boat) and it drops you off at the same harbor Trilogy would. Sure, you'd have to take your own lunch and snorkeling gear, but it's a huge savings. You would also have more flexibility schedule wise, since the ferry sails multiple times a day.

Edited to add that I've never gone on a Trilogy tour (with a local boy husband, he gives me private snorkeling tours!). I've heard they're pretty good, but expensive. I'm a cheapskate and would far prefer taking the ferry.
    Oh, it was expensive all right, but what I liked about it - that we couldn't have gotten on our own - was the fact that they take you up into Lanai and show you around. Also, I hate snorkeling from shore. For some reason, I would much rather jump off a boat in the middle of the ocean and snorkel than walk in on my own. I doubt the ferry would go for that. We typically set aside $$$ for each vacation to do 1-2 big things. This tour happens to fall into that category.

JustHB Enjoy the tour! Please report back on how it goes, because people have asked me about it a lot (as soon as they hear DH is from Lanai). Also, just FYI, but there is a shuttle that will transport you from the ferry up to Lanai City and back. There's not much to see, so once you take the shuttle up to the Lodge at Koele or whatever it's called these days, you've seen it all. We've used it ourselves rather than renting a car when we're there.

I'm going in August & will be staying at the Wailea Marriott. We used to always stay at the Fairmont, but since it's closing, we decided to try out the Marriott.
    Ain't no party like a Scranton party, 'cuz a Scranton party don't stop! (huh, huh, huh)

Quote Originally Posted by ca_girl View Post
    I'm going in August & will be staying at the Wailea Marriott. We used to always stay at the Fairmont, but since it's closing, we decided to try out the Marriott.
    The Kea Lani is closing? When? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by ejs View Post
    The Kea Lani is closing? When? Why?
    OMG... where did I get Fairmont from? I meant the Renaissance! Holy crap. I'm losing it! Sorry!
    Ain't no party like a Scranton party, 'cuz a Scranton party don't stop! (huh, huh, huh)

*whew* you had me worried there for a minute, ca_girl!

I'm posting from the bedroom of our ocean view Kapalua condo. It is simply breathtaking. The winds are fierce (there is a storm from approaching) and we had insane rainstorms over night, but right now the weather is sunny and warm (although I can see a big, black cloud approaching).

For those who are trying to decide between the various resorts in Kaanapali, I have to say, that I wasn't all that impressed with either the Hyatt or the Westin when we walked through each last night. Maybe the rooms/service are great, but I just didn't like the common areas. The Ritz reminds me of the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island in style and ambiance.

Aloha!

Default Which Lu'au?

So ladies, one of the last pieces of our trip to decide on is which luau to book (I hear the good ones book up way in advance, and we're already running short on time).

So, do y'all prefer the Old Lahaina Lu'au or the Feast at Lele? Both sound great, but if there's a good reason one might be better than another, let me know!

Makena - We've been driving by that condo a lot during our trip and when you gook (if you haven't already), make sure you get a room facing toward the ocean (not ocean view since it's a couple of blocks from the beach), otherwise, you might end up looking out over the highway or a really shitty looking apartment complex with a lot of rusted metal in the yard. About 1.5 blocks down the area becomes cute, but right there it's kind of ugly.

Thanks Becky! We've already booked, but I'm not sure where our room faces. I'll have to give them a call.