Quantcast
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Maui Chat

Default Maui Chat

Here's a new thread to discuss travel to Maui, Hawaii!

You can also reference these old threads for more information on Maui:

Hawaii Chat

Maui: Where Would You Stay?

That's a great looking condo!

Four our trip, we also decided to stay in a condo. So far, it has me wishing we'd booked a hotel. They sent me the keys on Monday, but somehow they wound up in LA. They supposedly re-sent a set that is supposed to arrive today. It's just too much stress. I like the idea of showing up to a hotel, checking in, and being done with it.

I know that Lanai and Molokai aren't as often traveled, but perhaps we should include them in this Maui thread?

I think that's a good idea, especially since you can easily take trips to each from Maui. In fact, we have a day trip to Lanai planned to for Tuesday.

JustHB Are you just going over to snorkel and dolphin watch? Or are you renting a car and going up to the town? Are you taking the ferry or Trilogy? DH is from Lanai, so I've been there many times (and will be there again this summer). The beaches are fabulous, much better than Maui (though I am likely biased).

(Holding space for future TOC)

Just wanted to mention that ATA had $99/leg fares to Maui (from CA) last weekend, and they still have some promos (I'm waiting for next weekend to see if they bring the $99 back). We're in WA and it was $199/leg I think.
    The exception may prove the rule, but what proves the exception? "It is not that such things are possible", the camel thinks, smiling. "But such things are possible for me".

Quote Originally Posted by Ohana View Post
    JustHB Are you just going over to snorkel and dolphin watch? Or are you renting a car and going up to the town? Are you taking the ferry or Trilogy? DH is from Lanai, so I've been there many times (and will be there again this summer). The beaches are fabulous, much better than Maui (though I am likely biased).
    We're taking the Trilogy tour. Any good?
    (Holding space for future TOC)
    What's TOC?
    Just wanted to mention that ATA had $99/leg fares to Maui (from CA) last weekend, and they still have some promos (I'm waiting for next weekend to see if they bring the $99 back). We're in WA and it was $199/leg I think.
    This makes me so sad. We booked with ATA back in November and are paying about $400/person direct from Oakland.

TOC=Table of Contents, IIRC
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

JustHB If you're willing to pack your own lunch and snorkeling equipment, I would recommend taking the ferry. That is, unless you got a really killer deal on the Trilogy Tour. The ferry is $50 round trip, IIRC and has multiple sailings a day. You would catch the ferry in Lahaina (near the Trilogy boat) and it drops you off at the same harbor Trilogy would. Sure, you'd have to take your own lunch and snorkeling gear, but it's a huge savings. You would also have more flexibility schedule wise, since the ferry sails multiple times a day.

Edited to add that I've never gone on a Trilogy tour (with a local boy husband, he gives me private snorkeling tours!). I've heard they're pretty good, but expensive. I'm a cheapskate and would far prefer taking the ferry.