Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please help me with questions about IVF

My sister had her first round of IVF this month, and we found out yesterday that it didn't take. She told me that her number was 9.7, and anything under 10 is considered a BFN. Still, the number seems high. Could she have had a miscarriage? They are also wondering about an ectopic PG. Can anyone tell me what the number really means? It's so close to 10 that it's hard not to hope a little, even though I know the RE said there was no hope.

I don't know if they are going to let my sister try again. She is 39 and her eggs are considered "old." They were only able to get 4 eggs resulting in 2 embryos (both implanted) during this round. It's my understanding that is a pretty low amount. We're going to find out on Wednesday if she can try again.

One other question: what can I do for my sister? I am the "fertile" sister--meaning I have one child. I feel horrible that that it's looking like she will not get to have children. I want her to have what she wants, I want to share it with her. I even feel guilty. I want to support her, more than anything. CC has taught me a lot about being sensitive to IF issues. I want to make sure I do the right thing here.
    Wife: August, 2002 ~ LJ ~ Mother: May, 2005

I'm not familiar with IVF numbers, but my RE said anything over 0 (ie 1, 2, 3...) was considered a pregnancy. Then we had to wait and see what the numbers did. I tend to catch my pregnancies very earlier, via HPTs and can get betas done quickly, b/c they are done early they start out low for me (though, not lower than 10).

When did they test?
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

They did the blood test early yesterday morning, which was 12 days after they implanted the embryos. The RE called back in the afternoon with the results.

It sounds to me like there is something going on because the numbers are elevated...I don't know how much of this is farfetched hoping, though.
    Wife: August, 2002 ~ LJ ~ Mother: May, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Dally View Post

One other question: what can I do for my sister? I am the "fertile" sister--meaning I have one child. I feel horrible that that it's looking like she will not get to have children. I want her to have what she wants, I want to share it with her. I even feel guilty. I want to support her, more than anything. CC has taught me a lot about being sensitive to IF issues. I want to make sure I do the right thing here.
    I don't know much about IVF. But wanted to ask if you would feel comfortable offering to be a surrogate for your sister? Just a thought.
    My life...Ruled by Little Nicky
    Nicholas Anthony 3/24/06
    bunnynose15 on LJ Come be my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dally View Post
    They did the blood test early yesterday morning, which was 12 days after they implanted the embryos. The RE called back in the afternoon with the results.

It sounds to me like there is something going on because the numbers are elevated...I don't know how much of this is farfetched hoping, though.
    Well, she can monitor the numbers for awhile to see what happens...
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

Quote Originally Posted by bunny nose View Post
    I don't know much about IVF. But wanted to ask if you would feel comfortable offering to be a surrogate for your sister? Just a thought.
    Great minds think alike, Bunny Nose ...I was thinking the same thing when I read it because I could tell how heartfelt the OP is and how much she is willing to do anything to help. So that was my first thought.
    At 24w 4d my little boy...became an angel 11/7/07
    Rainbow baby arrived 12/6/09!

Added a dash of PINK 4/9/11

I just did my first cycle of IVF and my RE said that anything over 25 was pregnant. I would say with that low number she would have to wait and see. For what it's worth, I had my test done 12 days past transfer as well and my number was 345. How did she know the embroyos implanted???

Hi Dally -

I want to say, I admire how sensitive you are being by trying to learn as much info as you can to help your sister. What is probably happening is your sister is experiencing a chemical pregnancy (fertilized embryo, probably didn't implant correctly), which is another name for a very early miscarriage.

At 12 days past transfer (medically, they transfer the embryos, not implant them - just a pet peeve of mine), either a 3 or 5 day, she should be 15 or 17 days past ovulation and should have a much higher number if the beta were positive.

As far as trying again, there are other options for your sister. Donor eggs (she would go through IVF using eggs of a donor) if she is comfortable with that. Just like anything with infertility, going to the next step is hard and takes some mourning. Be there for your sister if she wants to talk about it. I'd suggest following her lead on what she wants to do.

Good luck.
    "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner

The numbers you're talking about are her "betas." That is checking for the pregnancy hormone. It is possible to have a very small number like 1 or 2 but not be pregnant, but doesn't usually happen. Many Drs consider 5 or under to be a negative test. If her number was 9.7, it's likely that is was a chemical pregnancy. If you want to see some other examples of betas, there is a beta thread around here if you search. There's also the betabase.com where you can look up averages & sample numbers. Chances are very small that it's going to become a pregnancy when it's that low at 12dpt. That's probably the equivalent of 15 or even 17dpo. If she is worried about an ectopic, she should ask the doctor to repeat her beta in a few days. The number should be going down. If it's about the same or a little higher, then she needs careful monitoring to see if it's an ectopic.

I hate to be picky, but I also noticed you are referring to it as they "implanted" 2 embryos--the way to say that would be "transferred." Implantation happens naturally, doctors aren't able to start a pregnancy like that. Unfortunately!

The number of eggs they were able to retreive is low, but the number of embryos they get is not the only factor. The thing that really counts is how good the embryo is. There is a rating system because there are a whole range of factors they look at. If the embryos were good quality, they may have her do another IVF cycle. Especially now that they know how she responds to the medications.

Is your sister receiving much support or getting much information about IVF in general? If they are saying her eggs are old, they may also be referring to the fact that her FSH (a hormone) is higher than they'd like. If she has high FSH, there are things she can do to improve it--here's a message board dedicated to high FSH. When she's ready to look at other options, there is also the possibility of donor eggs or donor embryos (long waiting list for the embryos, though). The costs of surrogacy can be really limiting for some people, but that depends on their finances.

My RE said anything over 5 was considered pregnant. However 12 days after the embryo transfer (implantation happens after the embryos are transferred), would be considered the same as either 15dpo or 17dpo, depending upon if they transferred 3 days or 5 days after they removed the eggs. Either way, if she were really pregnant the number would be much higher by now. My number 15 days after transfer was in the 1800s.

Unfortunately, it sounds as though she might have had a chemical pregnancy.

As for what you can do, perhaps offer to be an egg donor? Especially if her problems lies in her egg quality and not problems with her uterus. However, I would suggest letting her have a little time to grieve before offering.

ETA: For what it's worth, my FSH number was high, and with me only having half of one ovary they were only able to get nine eggs - five of which fertilized. So sometimes quantity doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Tandis; 02-05-2007 at 01:56 PM.
    My Twinners are two!!
    A & V: Keeping Mommy and Daddy awake since March 5th, 2007