Quantcast
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have no experience with hernia surgery but i hope his recovery is quick and easy.

That being said, both my girls have had surgery and I literally cringed at what you described. Why on earth did you have to hold him down? They could have started the gas with him being held and then laid him down as he was going out. There didn't need to be any hysterics or anything. They also should have explained the situation to him. At our hospital, there is a "pretend room" where they go through the whole procedure with you and your child, they try on the masks and get to pick out their special tube of chapstick (used inside the mask to help with the smell/taste of the gas). They can see the machines and try on the scrub masks and put the respirator on you, etc etc etc. Both my girls thought it was soooo cool to have surgery that they still play hospital at home (because they got to keep their mask and were given a head protector, dr mask, etc). We also were brought back before they woke up so that we were the first people they saw. They were given a teddy bear and blanket and were also allowed one personal item to be with them at all times. Everything was obviously set up to make the kids as much in the know as possible.

bensgirl Glad everything went well. My DS1 was like that when I went into the OR with him- cried and fought everything. When DS2 had his surgeries they didn't let me back in the OR either time -the first was a bit of an emergency but DS2 didn't cry when they took him or anything, but he cried awful when they took him from me this past time. They made sure to bring me back to recovery before he woke up because he was so worked up. Glad your DS is doing well now!

ETA: boilermaker -My hospital did not have that sort of thing either! We've done surgeries at 2 different hopitals that are both affiliated with each other and there was no preparation for the child. In fact, for my DS2's most recent surgery I was full expecting to be able to go back to the OR with him so didn't explain that they were taking him from me because I didn't know that I wouldn't be the option. UGH! It's so horrible to watch your LO go under like that!

boiler- They actually did all of that as well. He tried on the mask, they gave him a teddy bear and had some sort of child wellness person with a backpack full of goodies talk to him, etc... I was allowed to hold him but I think he sensed there was something going on bc he latched onto me like a koala bear and buried his face into my neck so I guess they figured the best way was to hold him down and get it over with bc he wasn't going to willingly participate. As for him waking up without us there, I did hear the doctor say he was surprised with how fast he woke up so maybe that was why. Maybe he woke faster than we could get back there? Idk. Just glad it's over and he seems ok.
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

mcg- Yes it was very hard. Especially when you know they are essentially using ether on the child and I cringe at the thought of that as well.
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

Bumping this up...we realized in the spring that ds1 has a hernia now! He'll be 6 in February. I was finally able to get a picture of it today...we haven't gotten an official diagnosis since it takes so long to be seen! Anyway I'm going to call the pediatrician tomorrow and want to make a list of questions for where ever we end up going. D's was born with an undescended testicle on the other side & there was surgery to bring it down...as I type this it seems a no brained to go to that same practice...I'd like to think if there was a hole on that side it would have Been closed back then so I guess it should be a non issue to ask about the other side.

My dad noticed a hernia in DS2's groin when changing his diaper today We took him to the pediatrician and were referred to a surgeon. We actually got an appointment tomorrow. If this is something that needs to happen, I really want to try and get it done this month when our deductible has been met and it won't cost us anything as opposed to waiting until January when we'll have to pay for the whole thing out of pocket. I hate the idea of rushing it when I'm so scared of anesthesia being used on babies, but what can we do?
    Eve Eleanor arrived June 5, 2007
    Graham Alexander arrived February 27, 2010
    George Derek arrived October 17, 2014

magrat my DS had hernia surgery at 23 months. I don't remember it costing us anything but it was September so we may have met our annual deductible by then. So sorry you have to deal with this at such a busy time, but I hope it all goes well.

magrat It is going to need to be repaired and usually sooner is better than just waiting. My Ds1 had surgery at 10 months and then ds2 has his at 13 months...his had become incarcerated..extremely painful & very scary since I didn't even know he had a hernia! The surgeon was able to push it back up (again extremely painful...they can't give the little guys much pain med!) So with him we were admitted to the hospital and had surgery the following morning so the swelling can go down some.

In your shoes, I'd push for asap. Looking now I see he's quite new. I do know our urologist told me once they like to wait until an infant is 6 months old to use anesthesia...I guess your Dr will need to determine if it should be done now or can wait.

I hate these high deductible plans with a passion!

DD's pediatric neurologist told us that 3+ general anesthetics before the age of 7 are associated with some learning disabilities, but that less than 3 is not a problem. And even 3 generals are associated with only mild issues that are often not even noticed except under close examination. DD had one, and almost had another one and we were concerned just like you, but the per neurologist made me feel a lot better about that issue.

We saw the surgeon today and I'm feeling better now. The surgeon was confident we'd be able to do it before the end of the year, and he'll spend the night in the hospital to be monitored for apnea. That was my biggest fear and I had already thought we'd take turns watching him sleep the first night, so I'm glad we'll stay in the hospital for that. It's funny, he didn't even spend a night in the hospital after he was born! They will check the other side to see if that needs to be fixed too, glad I read about that in this thread already. Just waiting to hear back from the scheduler now. The surgeon also said there is no benefit to waiting either because the chances of incarceration are higher when they are this young.
    Eve Eleanor arrived June 5, 2007
    Graham Alexander arrived February 27, 2010
    George Derek arrived October 17, 2014