Quantcast
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

mcgwigan- I am surprised they did not scope the other side while they were already in there repairing the first hernia.... did they mention this to you? My ds also had an incarcerated hernia. They were able to scope the other side and see that it also needed to be repaired, even though we did not have any outward signs yet. So glad they scoped it and did both repairs then. Maybe you can contact the surgeon to see if they did or not? If it was "closed" I think you would be ok? They could probably give you more answers.

Also, we knew my ds was at risk for hernias b/c he had hydrceles (sp? fluid in the testicles). Did your Dr. mention if your ds had this on either or both sides?

I hope you get answers soon and I hope your ds feels better!

Oh- wanted to mention: Before ds's hernia became incarcerated, it was just a smaller buldge and it did kind of pop in and out. The ped was going to check it later in the week b/c we already had a well baby visit scheduled, but then it became incarcerated and we ended up in the ER a couple of nights later.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Gia Thanks! I am not sure if they did scope the other side-the surgeon didn't mention it, just said that there was still quite a bit of swelling, but that he was able to do the repair. I only had 2 hours sleep the night before in the hospital and was a total dunce when the surgeon came out, so I really didn't have my questions prepared....it is, of course, on my list to ask when we go to our follow-up.

I'm not sure about hydrceles -they did X-rays as well as ultra-sounds in the ER because they were concerned about testicular torsion. Also, the testicle that was undecended was up quite high on the ultrasound -which was a big concern, but was back down to where the surgeon was able to locate it before surgery. So no, hydraceles were not mentioned to me either.

sigh -at least it's only 1 1/2 weeks til our follow-up!

Bumping this even though I was the last one to post -I found out at our follow-up from above that the surgeon did not scope the other side - he looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked him if he did this -I was sooo not happy! And yes, I found that DS2 does have a hydrocele on the right, which is the side of the undescended testicle and the side I am now questionning a hernia on - the surgery last December was on his left.

Does anyone know if they can do an ultrasound to verify if there is a hernia? I feel he does have one and took a picture of his groin area when he was cranky and holding that side, limping towards me -the whole groin area looked swollen to me. I'm waiting for a call back fromt he urologist to see what to do no, since I took him in early this year to have him evaluated, but since she couldn't see evidence of a hernia when we were in the office she just told me to take a picture and call for an appointment next time I see it. Um -this is a difficult task since it reduces when you lay him down. I just wish there was a way they could do an ultrasound and get to the root of the matter!!

She does say his testicle is down, but it is rarely in his scrotum and the hydrocele is pretty apparent at times!

ETA: If you DS had a hernia, were you able to feel it?

DS is 3 and has had a hernia in his belly button since birth. It's not gotten any smaller and it sticks out about the size of a quarter. Took him to see the surgeon yesterday and we are scheduled for surgery next Wed. I'm so nervous . None of my babies have ever been put to sleep and it terrifies me.

Anyone's DC had umbilical hernia repair? What's the recovery time?
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

bensgirl Sorry no experience with an umbilical hernia. Did the surgeon give you an idea of recovery? Having had surgeries at 10 months, 13 months and then 2.5 I'd say that the younger they are the better the recovery. Sometimes they let you go back to the OR with your DC while they put them under. Usually they do that with a mask and then do any IV's afterwards- it makes it easier. Good luck!

I never updated here, but I was able to get some photos of DS2's groin area and took him to the urologist in January. The urologist looked at the photos and said that it was nothing but then when he actually looked at DS2's groin area everything was cooperating- his scrotum was waaaay swelled, so he agreed that yes, there was a hernia & a hydrocele. We were scheduled for surgery for a month out since DS2 had a fever that day and then actually ended up with surgery in March since DS2 kept getting sick! When i spoke to the Dr beforehand I made sure that he would check to make sure the testicle was down -everyone kept telling us it was, but it really didn't seem it. It ended up that it was indeed, NOT down so they lowered that in the same procedure. Just goes to prove that you've got to be really insistant sometimes! Recovery was a bit hard on him, he was in quite a bit of pain and very groggy for the rest of the day. The scrotum was sore for a good 4 weeks I'd say. There was an incision in the scrotum to bring the testicle down, I don't think they do that for just the hernia repair. Anyway, we're all done with all that -thankfully!!

Yeah he said he'd probably only need Tylenol but I just figured that was his "go-to" answer and wanted to hear from a person "IRL" if that was true. I was told for my hernia repair I wouldn't be able to pick up my kids for 6 weeks.

mcg- I feel so bad for your little guy!! So glad you have put it all behind you and he's doing well.

bensgirl Thanks -he's been through a lot so hopefully we're clear sailing from here on out. I'm thinking an adult has a more difficult recovery in general with things like that. The little ones bounce back pretty quickly -you may want to ask your Dr if you need to limit his activity at all -or is it OK for him to hang from monkey bars and things like that. With the incarcerated hernia that my little one had they didn't want any straining to go to the bathroom, so I had him on miralax for months to make sure he wouldn't get constipated or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bensgirl1222 View Post
    Yeah he said he'd probably only need Tylenol but I just figured that was his "go-to" answer and wanted to hear from a person "IRL" if that was true. I was told for my hernia repair I wouldn't be able to pick up my kids for 6 weeks.
    Recovery is definitely different for little ones. We've never done a hernia repair, but after DD had her heart surgery she was hopping in the halls of the hospital at 2 days post op. I think she was at day 3 or 4 post op and all they gave her was oral Rx strength motrin unless she was visibly in pain and then they gave her toridol as needed (which I think she only had once). When we went home she was only on OTC Tylenol or Motrin for pain. He will surprise you at how fast he's back to normal.
    DD Feb '08
    DS June '11
    DD Jan '15

DS had his hernia surgery this morning. He was totally fine and cooperative up until I carried him into the surgical room. He didn't want to lay on the gurney so we had to force him to lay down. I had to hold his hands and 2 nurses held his legs while the anesthesiologist (who just so happened to be the same guy that was in during my emergency c-section with DS1) held the gas mask over his little nose and mouth. He fought and cried and was looking me direct in my eyes the entire time as if he were looking for me to save him. Ugh! Gut-wrenching! He was just really scared and I was upset about that bc he had no idea what was coming . Then he went limp and I left. The surgery itself was quick. The surgeon came out and said he did great and that the hernia hole was bigger than expected. The hole was almost the size a quarter in diameter. It was definitely the right decision to have it fixed now. The surgeon also said if we waited then he would more than likely wouldn't be cleared to play sports bc of it in the future bc of the possibility of injury of his intestines.

He woke up from surgery quick but when we went back there he was freaking out. Crying for me and trying to rip out his IV. I held him tight for quite a while as he cried and flailed around. Probably a good 20 min or so. He finally calmed down, drank some fluids then they were able to remove the IV.

We've given him some Motrin for pain but otherwise you wouldn't know he just had surgery. He's playing and eating and really doing ok so far.