Quantcast
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default Master Food Safety Thread (aka "Is it still good?")

A while back, on a whim, I picked up a package of hot links. I haven't yet opened them, and the packaging says use or freeze by 7/6. Needless to say, I haven't froze them either.

The package is completely sealed. Do I need to toss them? Tomorrow is garbage day.

TIA
    There is no value in life except what you choose to place upon it and no happiness in any place except what you bring to it yourself. - Thoreau

Personally, I would toss them. But i'm pretty wary of expiration dates...I won't even attempt to smell the milk if it goes past the date on the carton.

I would toss, too. And this is coming from someone who is big on stretching the dates on things. Yeah, no one's coming over to my house now, are they?

Dairy products usually last for a week or so after their printed expry (which is usually listed as a 'sell by') date.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

Default How long is OJ good past expiration date?

Costco doesn't carry the jugs of OJ that we like anymore, so last month we ended up buying four- 2 quart cartons. We have three cartons left and the expiration or sell by date is July 28. I had a small glass this morning and it tasted okay. Anyone know about how long it will still be good? Thank you!

Bumping. Does anyone know? It still smells okay.

Expiration is different than the "Sell By" date. If it's the Exp date, I think it might be too old -- it really depends on your tolerance! If it doesn't smell fermented, then maybe they are on the conservative side, and it might be ok. With a SB date, you have maybe 3-7 days or so. However, if it's not pasteurized, I would not chance it, I would throw it out after expiration and 2 days after the SB date!!

I've never seen unpasteurized oj - would be surprised if it can be legally sold in the U.S. I'd go with the whiff test, if it passes it, a slight taste, and if that's all good, drink away my friend.
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal

If it tastes like a screwdriver, it has gone bad. Otherwise, I think you're fine .

Quote Originally Posted by BTB
    I've never seen unpasteurized oj - would be surprised if it can be legally sold in the U.S.
    Wow, that amazes me that you've never seen it! Maybe it's regional - you can find most every type of juice unpasteurized in SF, I prefer it!

Fresh squeezed = squeezed from a fresh orange = non pasteurized
    (At least the *real* fresh squeezed variety!)

As in Jamba Juice or what they sell at Trader Joe's or gourmet groceries.

Default Safe Handling - Chicken

I put some frozen chicken breasts in the refrigerator to thaw on Monday night. They were still frozen Tuesday night, and we've been too busy to cook since then. So I'm wondering if it's safe to cook and eat them this evening. Anyone know?