Quantcast

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Bumping....

I'm trying to create a cover letter for a position that I'd like to apply for and it says to include salary requirements in the cover letter. Of course, I want more $$ and I know what the pay range is. I have 15 years experience in my field -I'm wondering if I should just go ahead an put their upper limit in -it's what I'm actually after, but I'm afraid that if I do, they'll toss it. Anybody have any sort of input for how to list a pay requirement that isn't just going to end up in the trash.

Also, should I list vacation/PTO sort of requirements as well? I'm finally up to 3 weeks of vacation a year and am not willing to go backwards in that department. I'm currently employed so it's not like I'm desperate enough to loose my vacation.

I don't know about how much pay to request but I would not mention anything about PTO in the cover letter.

Ok- thanks! I should have bartered for more vacation when I applied for my current position and didn't think to ask when I'd get more -it turned out to be 5 (long) years before I got another week. Don't want to make the same mistake!

I always hate putting my salary requirements in writing because I think it hurts your later chances of negotiation and also could bias the company against you before they even interview you. You could put a range and then a caveat of "negotiable based on total compensation package" because your actual compensation reflects more than just your pay. You might be willing to take less $$ if they give you more vacay or have a cheaper health insurance plan.
    Cake or Death?

I would put the upper range if that's what you want. Essentially, if you wouldn't take the position below $X, then I would be upfront about that. If they want a more junior person/to pay less, then no one's time is wasted bringing you in if you are clear about your needs. I would say something like "Based on more than 15 years experience in this field, my salary requirement is $5; however, I'm flexible for the right position." (only if that is true) Also, you should be able to back up your requirement factually based on your current salary in case they check. As for PTO, I would bring that up during negotiation of an offer and not before.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09