Quantcast

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default All Things Resumes

I'm looking for a job in another city. As I anticipate that my resume will be passed around a bit, I'd like to include something on it to indicate that I will be moving soon. What's the best way to do this? I am thinking that in the Objective section I should say "To utilize skills as such-and-such in an Atlanta-area organization". Thoughts? Thanks!

I read this over the weekend - hopefully it answers how to handle a pending relocation. Good luck!

Relocating with job uncertainty

Q: I am 23 years old and after going to college in Massachusetts, I moved back to my home state of New York. I am currently a legal advocate at a homeless shelter, but wish to start looking for jobs in Massachusetts. My concern is that people will view my New York address as a negative. I would feel more comfortable making the move when I know I would have a job and security. What is your advice when sending my resume to possible employers in Massachusetts?

A: Make sure you state in your cover letter that you plan to relocate to Massachusetts in September 2005 and that you are looking for work in your field.

By stating a date when you plan to relocate, it demonstrates you are serious about making the move. In addition, mention you will be in the area in early August and you would welcome an opportunity to meet and discuss your skills and what you have to offer to an employer.

If the companies you sent resumes to do not call you, call them in early August and ask for a meeting. Plan to spend some time in Massachusetts, even if you have to use all of your vacation time.

Thanks! That was helpful.

Or get a PO box in the new state so you have a "local" address...because out of state address may send red flags (RELOCATING COSTS) and you might be eliminated based on your address....

Default Unique situation - will my resume look like crap?

I have a unique situation. After college I started working at a Big 4 accounting firm to get the required 1 year of experience needed for my CPA license. As soon as that 1 year was over, I found a new job. (This is common)

I started the new job and loved it, but shortly after that the company began the process of a merger and so I lost my job after being there for about a year.

When I started looking for a new position I was told by recruiters that my situation is unique and I don't look like a job jumper because the last job wasn't my fault, but the next job I take I'll have to stay for 2-3 years.

I found a job within a week and I started back at the end of June. I absolutely hate it and now I don't know what to do. I don't know if I can quit because I dont want my resume to look like crap. So should I just tough it out for the next 2 years, or do you think it would be ok to start looking for a new job now?

This is an x-post to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with at my current job. Its worse than just what is listed below, but here are some of the things I have to deal with.

They told me to plan on working about 40-45 hours a week, buts its been about 55 per week. When I asked about it a few weeks ago, my manager lied and said he told me to plan on 55 hours a week. I don't mind working overtime when there are things to get done, but most of the time I'm just sitting there in case something comes up - nothing has ever come up yet so its pointless for me to be there late. I could be at home getting things done and if something came up, I'm only 15 minutes away and I could come back. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Also when I first started my manager told me that he knows that I will make mistakes, because everyone does. Yet a tiny mistake that I made my first week there is still brought up at least twice a week (picture Office Space and TPS reports). I don't even know if I'd call it a mistake, it was more like doing something right, just not the way the old person in the job did it.

He also calls me out of the blue and yells at me for not doing something. He always thinks he asks me to do something for him, but he never does. Its not part of my normal job and I'm not a mind reader, so how am I supposed to know he wanted me to do it? I tell him that he didn't ask me to do it, and then I have to prove to him that he didn't by showing him my email inbox and then going to his email sent box to prove its not there.

On my boss's days off, he calls me at 8:01 just to make sure I'm there on time, but he tells me the night before that he will call me just to make sure I'm there. Give me a break! I have never once been late and I'm one of the most reliable people there, so I dont understand why he does it!

So right now it seems like my only options are trying to find a new job or taking some drugs to help calm me down a bit and make my job a happier place. Its to the point where even when I get home I'm constantly on edge and I'm worried its going to start effecting my marriage. I know society is over-medicated and I hate the thought of going down that road, but I just don't know what else to do.

There is so much more I could go on about, but what's the point? I hate it there, but what can I do? If I quit, I'll look like a job jumper and no one will want to hire me. If I stay, I'll lose my sanity!
    DS: 11-20-2006
    Boy/Girl Twins: 4-3-2011
    DD 4/3/2013

No job is worth your sanity.

Di
    You think you've done your journey
    Then you stumble and find that there's such a long way to go

I think with just starting out, it shouldn't look bad. I would stress to interviewers that it is really important that you find a fit. I would tell them that you were really excited when you accepted the job where you are at now, until the merger. Just keep things on the positive and show that you are qualified for the postition. This time around make sure that you interview your employer as well. I think once you find the right company you would love to stay there for a long time. It is your goal to work with your boss to keep both of you happy.

I hope the best for you and I would really be picky this time around. I know you hate your job now (I read your last post), but make sure you are not getting yourself into the same situation.
    MY PERFECT BABY BOY IS HERE!!!
    So Little Time But So Worth It!

I tried being very selective with this job. Since there are so many accounting jobs out there right now, I figured it would be more me interviewing them rather than them interviewing me. But the problem was that every question I asked, they answered with great answers and then it turned out to be completely wrong. I couldn't even count how many times they lied to me during my interviews.

I'm going to try to make the current job work. I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow to go over everything, but I guess I just want to know that it is always a possibility to leave if I need to.
    DS: 11-20-2006
    Boy/Girl Twins: 4-3-2011
    DD 4/3/2013

Aaaahhhhh, Delany21, I could have written the part of your post about needing medication to get through the job day. That's how I feel about my job now (though I never actually got medication...I just think it would likely help). I'm also in the same position in that it really isn't feasible for me to leave right now...so...

From someone who has stuck out a rough situation for over 2 years now ...

The job did affect my relationship and then my marriage (and still does). I was cranky, upset, angry, stressed out, unhappy...everything combined. The only way I could deal with it so as not to take it out on DH was to learn strategies of "checking my day at the door". So now, on the days I don't have to work at night (we have receptions and stuff), I take 1/2-1 hour after work as "Kalogrias time" -- time where, even though I'd rather be with DH, I don't go straight home, but I go to Starbucks or Borders or wherever, just to have a little time to decompress and chill out before dealing with another human. In that sense, it's helped things tremendously.

As far as personal happiness and effectiveness -- I worry about the same things you do in regards to job longevity. But Dionysia is right -- no job is worth your sanity. I was so depressed for a while that I seriously thought I was going around the bend. I wish I had been able to see that it was okay for me to leave. But I didn't -- there were extenuating circumstances, so I'm not upset with myself for making those choices, but had I been thinking more clearly, I would have taken the time, found another job, and just explained the situation to my next employer. It's not your fault the merger happened. Just as it's not your fault you have a crazy manager now. Most employers will understand -- they've all been employees themselves at one point. Just make sure to stress that you're in search of a place that you can really stay for a while, kwim?

If you do decide to stay where you are for the requisite 2-3 years, see if you can come up with coping strategies. One thing I learned to do was to get out of the office every day for 1 hour (lunch), even if I had brought mine with me. Just leaving the pit of hell for normalcy for a short period of time helped me re-center and got me through my day. Working overtime like that is unfair, esp. if you have nothing to do -- so maybe you can start planning to bring in things you save as chores for the weekend, and get them done during the dead time? Like paying bills online, or balancing a checkbook?

Many hugs. I very much understand what you are going through.

ETA: We cross-posted

I had a similar situation several years ago.

Since I had multiple job offers from the interview process, I contacted another company that I had turned down to see if they still had a position. Luckily they did, and I went to work for them.

But, I have never put the first job on my resume. I just reference years of employment, not the months, so it's never brought up any questions. Even if it did, I would have just said that after being laid off, I had a severance package and decided to do some traveling, volunteer, etc.

If you don't feel right about excluding it, then it will just be something that you can talk to. As long as you explain it in a professional way, there shouldn't be a problem with it. I wouldn't give the impression that they wronged you in any way. Just say that the work isn't challenging enough, there isn't a long-term career path that interests you, etc. The clearer you are on what you want to do, the easier it will be to justify the short work history.

If you're not happy, definitely don't stay. Your resume will be OK.