Quantcast

Default x-post from Home Improvement Thread

Here are some pictures of our current kitchen. Let me just say that although the "decor" is mine, the colors are not. My mom was a BIG FAN of blue, can't you tell? I like the color okay, just not everywhere. This is a large EIK although you can't really tell in this picture. The side not pictured has our table and chairs. The wall there is painted white at the top, with blue chair rail and blue lower part. Needless to say, our kitchen is very dark. There is one window and two doorways - one to our office and laundry room, one to our den.

I want to paint the cabinets all white. I'd like to paint the walls a light sage green....but I'm not sure. My problem is what to paint the rest of the stuff. I'd like to incorporate a light taupe/cream into the color pallette to break up the white/green. With such a large area, I think using only 2 colors will make it look odd. But maybe that's just me.

The appliances are cream. The counters are cream with white and green muted flecks. The walls behind the backsplash are some type of sheeted plastic "tile" that will be coming out eventually. The floor is white with blue lines but will be replaced next year. As you can see our kitchen is really dark. There are two lights (one you see, the other is over the table). There is only the one window bringing in natural sunlight. I need to lighten it up without making it look washed out.

Here are my ideas, if anyone can "picture" them let me know how you think this will look. I've tried using paint programs but they are so general.

Window Sill and Trim: Cream
    Door Frames and Door: Frame = White, Door = Cream
    Cabinet Knobs and Hinges: Cream
    Accent pieces above window and stove (scrolly corner things): Sage
    Baseboards around cabinets (white also?): Cream
    1/4" round pieces where cabinets meet the wall: Cream?
    Chair Rail: White
    Walls above chair rail: Cream
    Walls below chair rail: Sage
    Bar Shelves: Cream

I wouldn't mind using some sort of paint pattern for the walls, like the double rollers that blend in two colors.

Feel free to give me any pointers or color scheme you'd use. I'm not going to be painting it for a few months (this is my fall/winter project).

~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???

I'm kind of unsure how white and cream would look together, that strikes me as odd. I don't think only sage and cream paint would look bad, but my taste is very stark and simple.

Here is an idea I'm considering: what about some sort of mosaic in the backsplash area? It doesn't have to be real tile, which can be pricey. It could just be painted to look like tile, or you could use that fake tile stuff. I have terra cotta walls with white cabinets/counters/trim and I have been thinking about a tile backsplash in terra cotta browns and reds.

Here's the basic idea, though I'd use smaller tiles:

If you did the sage and cream paint, I'd do tiles in shades of earthy green, and maybe some light creams/browns like almond or eggshell.
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

I really like the idea of the tile in the backsplash area. So if I painted the cabinets white, I should stick with white for all the trimwork? I could paint the walls the sage color, and get backspash material with neutral colors like you suggested.

Do you have any natural sunlight coming into your kitchen? I'd love to do a darker color in it, but it's so dark as it is. Maybe I should consider different light fixtures for more light.
    ~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???