Quantcast

Default Home Improvement Loans

We just purchased our first home and want to make some upgrades/changes to the property/structure. What are our best options in terms of home improvement loans? We don't have any equity yet, so it would have to be a straight up loan. TIA.
    Yes We Did! 11/4/08

If it's strictly for home improvement, I personally would wait until there is equity built up in your house. That way you can take out either a line of credit or a lump sum against the equity and use that to make your improvements. The reason I say that is because interest on your second mortgage (if used for home improvements) is tax deductible, whereas other loan interest is not.
    ~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???

Thanks, K--we could wait but I am DYING to fix our porch/patio--musn't get carried away though!
    Yes We Did! 11/4/08

we have equity on our home and want to know which type of loan will be better for remodeling...

Do you have an estimated range for what you want to do, like maybe $2-5k?

A personal loan through your bank might be a good thing to look into, depending on the interest rates.

You also might think of opening up a CC depending on your credit situation. For our wedding last year, instead of getting a personal loan we opted for a 0% introductory period CC. After 6 months it went to 9%. We figured it would take about a year to pay off the debt and it was cheaper for us in the long run to go ahead and get the CC than getting a personal loan. Plus there was only one application to fill out, not the millions that you'll need to do for a personal loan.

I'm not very familiar with loans so this could all be wrong.
    ~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???

thanks for the info. i haven't worked out the #'s but i am guessing it'll be closer to 80K in remodeling. we want to expand the home not sure how many square footage yet and we need a new roof, rewire, plumbing, central air. so i know it's going to get pricey.

msnicolea, Is the patio the only thing you want to do? It depends on how much money you need to borrow.

We've had to pay cash and/or get 0% interest for a year deals. If you're hiring a contractor to do the work, then that's not an option obviously. So, I guess it depends on how much work you want to do. Most people will do free estimates.

*bump*

as i stated earlier, hubby and i want to remodel before we have a "healthy baby". we've lived in the home for 3 years and have equity. i've read the pros and cons of a HELOC and i'm a bit scared as how to get money for a construction. any advice?