Quantcast
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Lara - sorry you're dealing with the apartment problems. Hope it works out - and soon, so you don't have to lay out any money!

Well, we took Becca in yesterday for the tests she needed because of her recurring UTI's and the tests did show that Becca does have "primary vesicoureteral reflux" - in between levels 2 and 3 on a scale from 1 to 5.

Essentially, it's a "congenital birth defect that is caused by an abnormal attachment between the ureter and bladder with a short, ineffective flap valve." If untreated, the urine that refluxes back into the kidneys could potentially lead to kidney damage. This reflux occurs in 1 percent of children and is usually diagnosed after a child has a UTI. 3/4 of kids affected are girls. Reflux disappears on its own in the majority of patients with Grades I-III reflux after several years of antibiotic therapy - it improves or disappears in many children because the junction between the bladder and the ureter matures and becomes more normal. The first stage of treatment is using a low-dosage of antiobiotic once a day for a year. Then we'll re-test and see how it went. Antibiotic prohophylaxis (or "maintenance") does not correct the reflux but is intended to prevent UTI from occurring; reflux without UTI usually does not damage the kidneys.

So that's where things stand. She was a real trooper on the tests. She clearly didn't like them but she did great and was fine as soon as we got out of the hospital. She seemed happy enough so DH and I went out last night as planned for our anniversary - just to dinner; we were too tried to do anything else - while our friends watched her. It was nice.

My sister recommended we get a second opinion - this is the sister whose son was misdiagnosed as being on the autism spectrum - bu I don't think we're going to. As some of you may recall, we DID get a second opinion on her hip issues when she was a few months old because our pediatrican then referred us to an ADULT orthopedist who was terrible - had a terrible bedside manner, barely examined her, and I think both those doctors over-reacted to DH's family's history of hip dysplasia. Plus, the treatment was so difficult for her and so invasive - having to wear a harness on her legs/hips for 24 hours a day. But Dave and I both feel comfortable with how things were handled this time and we went to the Children's Hospital of Boston. How much better can you get than that? (though I'm not naive; I realize that even the best hospitals sometimes have problems. I just think we do have this handled now, and I don't want to put her through the tests again. I am typically against antibiotics except when really necessary but the typical dosage for this is 1/4 to 1/3 of the full-strength dose and the material I have says that "when used in this way, antibiotic drugs are generally safe, even when used for several years, and have little or no effect on overall immunity." I sure hope so! )

ETA: From now on, if Becca has a fever over 101, we have to take her to the pediatrician's within 24 hours to have a urine test - each time.

Happy Memorial Day weekend, everyone! We have very low-key plans, which is nice.
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal

I'm sorry about Londonderry, Lara, I've always hated dealing w/ the move-outs in apartment complexes. I'd contest that, too. I'd send them a detailed letter rather than relying on them to adequately handle it over the phone. Then something goes into the file that's in your words, not theirs and you have a document that lays everything out while it's still relatively fresh in your mind. Yuck. What a PITA.

That must have been a teeth-gritting kind of day, Twinny. I had to take Susie for a urine test once, and that is NOT fun. She had a crazy week-long fever right around the time Becca did, her temp got up over 105 one night. And then they tested her for a lot of stuff, but they never figured out what it was. I completely understand not wanting to go through all those tests a second time, I wouldn't either!!

My mom came up this weekend and we bought Susie some summer clothes. She has become quite the sidewalk-walker in the past few days, so along with the new shorts, she's sporting her first pair of scraped knees. Ouch! Poor kiddo. She's a tough little cookie, though, more interested in the faucet running than me fooling around with cleaning her up or the Neosporin and band-aids. She absolutely refuses to hold hands on the sidewalk, throws a full-out tantrum, sitting down (sometimes laying down) and flailing and screaming. So much fun.
    Susannah is a big sister! Katie arrived November 14, 2006!!!!

Lizzie ~ That's the plan...we're gathering everything now as we speak and Jimmy's making the phone calls and composing a letter today while he's off. Took the day off to get everything squared away.

OUCH, poor Susie! But they do heal...Ashley has a scraped knee too and we couldn't do anything with it either...

Our weekend was smooth, no speed bumps. Went to a mall walk Sat morning for a Mom's meet-up group I've joined, hung out at the play place then had lunch in the food court. Sunday we just hung out at home. And yesterday was a picnic at the home of one of the Mom's from the same meetup group. Austin and Ashley had fun with the other kiddos, however, we didn't stay too terribly long as it was blazing hot and they were getting dehydrated. There was water and juice but it was like pulling teeth to get them to drink anything...

Otherwise, we finally took the car to the DMV and got her registered here in NC! I'm not sticking out like a sore thumb anymore, LOL!!! $224 lighter it's all squared away! YAHOO!!!!
    Wife to Jimm, 2001*~*Mom to Austin, 2003 & Ashley 2004
    It's Official...I can add MBA to my title!!! OH YEAH!!! I'm DONE!!!

Sorry to hear about Becca! I'm sure Children's is great...being that we spent a long weekend at Children's of Philly...fantastic care!

James is getting tons of teeth...his two bottom molars are coming up and i think i see his eye teeth on top of the incisiors that are still moving up. The child can't just get 1 or 2 teeth at a time.

Breaking news...i just quit my new job! i can't really go in to it...we'll just say that fellow professionals have differing opinions about me reporting this place. i just notified the administrator and in a roundabout way told her i took an oath to alleviate and prevent the suffering of animals...and i felt i couldn't do that in the past four days i worked there...i think she was fishing for a specific incident and i told her there were 3 that i didn't want to go in to...she can check with one of the trainers...i'm sure she'll tell her what i said...my ethics were compromised and i feel very torn about it...when i left the building on saturday, as i turned out their driveway on to the main street, i bawled my eyes out the whole way home. i can't live in my personal, nor professional life feeling the way i've felt all weekend. so, that's done and i'm trying to get my other job back...but at least i'm fine with my coworkers and doctors and feel that i have a say in regards to an animal's health and wellbeing. i also felt i had to tell her that i've felt a tremendous amount of guilt at not being able to give this job a chance...because i've had 3 jobs in the past 16 years-5years, 7 years and 3 years...so my ability to work under pressure and in different circumstances should not be called in to play. so i'm done...

Lori - sorry to hear about your job, but it sounds like you stuck to your ethical principles, which is the important thing, right? Hope you can get your old job back! Yay for James getting more teeth - we still have only one here, but I can feel one on the upper side of her mouth.

Lara - sounds like you had a nice weekend - must feel good to be meeting some moms in your new town! Hope you get the apartment thing worked out - sounds like it's keeping you busy. As for hydration, I've also had the issue with Becca drinking - tried like crazy to get her to drink more this weekend, it was so hot, but she drank even less than usual. Tried water, milk, even Pedialyte popsicles and chocolate drink and Gatorade. No go. I tried, though. But I guess she knows when she needs it; if she really had, she would have drank it, right? Right?!

Lizzie - isn't it nice to FINALLY be able to put the kids in summer clothes? I have a whole drawer full and closet-side full of summer clothes for Becca that have just been languishing away with the crazy weather we've had. Finally got to dress her in shorts this weekend, all weekend - we had fabulous weather. I've been worried at the playground, though, when she's been in shorts!

Well, Becca's been on the antibiotics since Friday and the usual fun side effect of antibiotics (TMI: diarrhea) is in full force. I'm hoping it'll settle down eventually. I told daycare about it this morning and gave them a copy of her prescription bottle so they don't call me every time she gets diarrhea now!

We had a wonderful, wonderful weekend. Had barely any plans on Thursday but ended up having a very busy weekend. On Friday DH and I went out for our anniversary while our friends watched Becca. Their daughter and Becca had such a good time together that we invited them over for a barbecue on Saturday (we rarely get together all of us and they only live 5 minutes away). The mother and I are taking the girls to the Children's Museum on Friday. On Sunday we took Becca to the zoo for the first time and were there for almost 4 hours. She enjoyed it and every time she saw someone pushing a stroller she pointed and said "Baby." She understands the concept - and the word! Amazing. She should be in heaven when her boy cousin is born in September. Yesterday we went to a state park about 30 minutes away that has a fantastic toddler pool and playground - we had a barbecue with SIL/BIL/nephew.

Very relaxing and fun weekend. We were lucky enoough to have almost-perfect weather all weekend, yay!
    Last edited by twinnyme; 05-30-2006 at 11:48 AM.
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12

Melissa ~ Sounds like the 'ideal' weekend! Albeit busy it was good! Sounds wonderful...

Sorry about the diarrhea...Austin's had some minor diarrhea all weekend as well...so I feel ya...

Quote Originally Posted by AusAshMommy
    Sorry about the diarrhea...Austin's had some minor diarrhea all weekend as well...so I feel ya...
    Yeah, at least DH does pitch in with changing them, so that's good! I'm hoping once she gets used to the antibiotics it'll happen less. I'm going to call the pediatrician tomorrow and see what he thinks. I can monitor it for a few days and maybe we can switch to a different antibiotic if necessary.... We'll see.

Yup, great weekend. Hard to come back to work!

Melissa ~ That's good...thankfully Austin's made it to the potty each time...THANK-GOD!!

Speaking of drinking....my DH had Susie guzzling water yesterday evening from the time he picked her up through dinner. With about 3 sippies plus her evening bottle, I had a VERY wet baby this morning. Guess we've got to taper off a bit in the evening, this is getting ridiculous!

Sorry to hear about work, Lorbo... Sounds like a crummy situation to be in.. But I admire your decisiveness. Susie seems a lot like James in the teeth department, it's always several at a time and she's usually pretty miserable about it. That little mouth is getting so full of teeth!
    Susannah is a big sister! Katie arrived November 14, 2006!!!!

Lizzie ~ Ashley is like that with food...the child eats from the minute she gets home until she goes to bed, that's including a full dinner! OMG!!!