Quantcast
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

DD (14 months) was diagnosed today w/ HFMD. She had a fever monday/tuesday, I noticed one red bump on her hand yesterday. This morning a few more on hands/feet and I finally looked into her mouth after talking to the Ped's office and sure enough there are white spots there. She hasn't been eating well since the onset of the fever and now I understand why. Yesterday there was a lot of drool.

She is also sleeping alot - did others experience this?

Also w/ disinfecting toys should I do it each day or wait till it's over? She's been playing w/ so many things I don't know where to start! I wish I had a clue that this was what she had and I would have tried to limit the "infected" toys!

All utensils etc go in the dishwasher so I think we are OK there.

What do I do w/ board books or stuffed/soft toys?

TIA!

alienhost, I think HFMD is contagious the first 48hrs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong b/c my DD had this last year. I would just disinfect all her toys and then just limit what she plays with til this passes (if you're still worried about spreading). Can the soft toys be washed in the washing machine? I would suggesting doing that in hot water (in a pillow case or one of those mesh lingerie zip up bags). Board books, I just wiped them down page by page w/ Wet Ones anti-bacterial wipes.

My DD did sleep a lot when she was sick. I mean A LOT. I remember one day she napped for 5 hours! What I would do for one of those 5hr naps now!!!

Just found out Luke's girlfriend has HFMD. They played together Friday night, she came down with a fever Sunday night, and was diagnosed this morning. Her ped said it's not any more contagious than any other illness. Am I right to assume she was contagious when they were together on Friday?

leslie I think she might be contagious. I would just keep an eye on Luke and look into his mouth daily. DD had it twice. The first time she had a really mild version of the disease that just looked like an odd rash on her hands and feet. The second time she got it was horrible. She had mouth sores that prevented her from eating (or drinking) anything for a week.

Thanks Franni! I did a google search and found some info that the illness could show up 3-7 days after contact. ugh. Crossing my fingers that this one passes us by!

Default Coxsackie Virus

My son's birthday party is this Saturday. I just got an email from my cousin telling me that her son was really sick all last week and that they found out it was the Coxsackie virus. She said that he wasn't contaigous anymore, but then went on to tell me that he still had a fever yesterday. I read online that it is still contageous if there is a fever.

I *really* don't want my son to get sick, or any of our guests for that matter. I'm not that familiar with the virus, but do you think there is a concern for him to still be contageous? Should I ask her not to come? I'd hate to do that, but I am surprised that she is still planning on coming. There's no way I'd bring my son if he was still experiencing symptoms. Am I overreacting?

Advice??
    Lori

It's only contagious when the child is running the fever, and it's super contagious at that point. This is the virus that causes hand foot & mouth disease. Let her know that if his fever has not broken by Saturday (which is should be) then they cannot come, because in addition to all the children who have not been exposed that will pick it up, adults can too.
    Mommy August 25, 2005
    and again... March 21, 2008

I don't know exactly when it becomes contagious, but DD's had coxsackie twice and IMHO it is better to err on the side of caution.

Maybe you could tell your cousin that it would be ok with you if they skipped the party since the baby is not feeling well, it might be more of hassle for them to deal with a sick baby outside of their home.

FWIW, DD's second brush with coxsackie left her with mouth and throat sores. She ran a high fever and didn't eat and could barely drink for a week. So I guess that's where i am coming from.

I agree you can never be too careful and it would not only be your child at risk of catching it, but all of the other adults and children invited.
    Lee

Thanks ladies. I agree completely about better safe than sorry.

Now my cousin tells me that her son is doing better, but she had a fever yesterday, but that I shouldn't worry because adults can't get this. Is that true??

Aye yie yie.
    ~Lori