Quantcast
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

My friend's 9 month old just had this, and she said he was over it in just a couple days. She contracted it from him, and has been miserable for a week. I guess its much like chicken pox, where if you get it as a child its usually pretty mild, but if you get it as an adult it is intense.
    11/7/06 Finn is here!

My son had it a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it's really contagious, so if your DC is going to get it, there's not much you can do about it now. Be on the lookout for a fever spike (DS's was 102 degrees) & decreased appetite. My son didn't get any blisters in his mouth, thankfully, but he had loads of blisters on the soles of his feet (and a couple on his hands).
    DS 2004
    DD 2007
    DD 2012

my DS has never had it, but i used to work in daycare and it is HORRIBLY contagious. it's really a fast spreader. hopefully she doesn't get it! i think they have to be in contact with the saliva or actually put the rash in their mouth to get it though. i could be wrong, but i remember this.
    John & Amanda 10.18.03
    All I've ever wanted... Carter Wesley 9.9.05
    A New and Welcome Addition! Muffin due 6.5.09!

Both my kids had it. DS's case was HORRENDOUS - he literally did not eat for 4 days straight. I think he lost 5 lbs. He also cried constantly for those 4 days. If DS hadn't had it first, I wouldn't have even known DD had it - her case was beyond mild. A few spots in her diaper area... that could've been mistaken for a regular diaper rash, and that's it.
    Married 7/5/02
    DS 6/21/04
    DD 7/9/05

Thanks for the input ladies! Her appetite has been decreased but she is also teething so it could be that causing her to want to eat less. Oh well, guess there is nothing I can do about it now other than hope for the best!

Thanks again!

What pain relief have you given your DC for hand foot mouth?

Tylenol, motrin, antibiotics?
    ♥ Dan, Gen, Nikki
    [ lj-journal ]

It's viral so no antibiotics. We found Motrin worked the best for her - buy Tylenol is also an option. Good luck!
    Diane & Jason - 4/5/2003
    Alexandra Claire - 8/25/2005
    Joshua Oliver - 2/25/2009

ditto tylenol or motrin. If her throat hurts really badly, ask your ped. about a benadryl/maalox concoction to help (maalox is suppose to coat the throat to make swallowing less painful). Of course, getting your DD to take this concoction may be a whole other story. Good luck and hope she's better soon!

We went through an entire bottle of Motrin while DS had it. I didn't bother with the Maalox/Benadryl (mix equal parts and have DD swish with it) because I knew DS would not take it. The ped literally told me the "prescription is ice cream and popscicles" until he he feels like eating again. We let DS have milkshakes and to this day, he asks for them daily!
    Married 7/5/02
    DS 6/21/04
    DD 7/9/05

Thanks everyone, DD's has blisters on her tounge, side of the mouth, diaper area, hands, and feet. oh and she has eczema which isn't helping, she looks like she has some sort of flesh eating disease.

we're giving her benedryl and tylenol. she won't eat anything cold (ice cream, popscicles, milkshakes), she actually likes warm soup, which I don't think is going to help the blisters go down.
    ♥ Dan, Gen, Nikki
    [ lj-journal ]