Quantcast
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease?

So I was doing a search on this (at 12:45 am you'd think I'd have better things to do, like SLEEP), but I couldn't find what I was looking for. For the past two weeks or so, I've had these wierdo blister thingies in my mouth that come and go. It has almost felt like I ate something that I was allergic to. This past week, they posted a notice at our gym childcare center that there was a confirmed case of Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease. I just now (seriously in the past couple of hours) put 2 and 2 together. HOWEVER, most of the info that I find has been about kids with this virus. Both of my kiddos have had sporaddic (sp? remember it's 12:50am here) diarrea for the past few days, but no rash or blisters that I can find. Neither one of them has had a fever, either.

Is it possible that I got this through the childcare center and then passed it on to my kids? Is there anything that I can/should do other than let this run its course? Many of the pages that I found on this said that if a child develops diarrea that I should call the doctor, but my kids also tend to get diarrea fairly frequently, so I don't know if I'm overreacting by doing that.

TIA!
    1+1 (10/26/02)
    +1 (10/23/03) +1 (05/03/05) + 1 EDD 09/22/09!

anyone?
    1+1 (10/26/02)

Hi Jen! I'm sorry you guys are going through this. I found this at the CDC web site:

HFMD occurs mainly in children under 10 years old, but may also occur in adults too. Everyone is at risk of infection, but not everyone who is infected becomes ill. Infants, children, and adolescents are more likely to be susceptible to infection and illness from these viruses, because they are less likely than adults to have antibodies and be immune from previous exposures to them. Infection results in immunity to the specific virus, but a second episode may occur following infection with a different member of the enterovirus group.
    We had rotavirus go through our house and the research I did said the same thing as Hand-Foot-Mouth - that adults typically don't get it. I got it BAD and so did my mom. So I think it is possible that you could have gotten it and possibly spread it to your boys. I think like rotavirus, you just have to let it run its course, but watch for signs of dehydration. I hope you guys feel better soon!

I've not had HFMD but my DD did last Summer (I can't remember why HFM runs rampant during the Summer months). First of all, this is super contagious. Make sure you disinfect everything (toys, eating utensils, etc.) and wash your hands often. It takes a week or so to run its course and there is nothing you can do to make it go away faster. Tylenol or Motrin may or may not help w/ pain, wouldn't hurt to try. Our ped also recommended a benadryl/maalox concoction that might help (Maalox helps coat the throat so the pain of the blisters is not so bad)

My DD started w/ fever and loss of appetite. By the time I took her to the ped. she had about 8-10 blisters in her mouth/throat. She didn't eat for days and eventually was hungry enough that she would eat yogurt. If your kids do get this, don't worry if they don't eat anything, they'll be ok w/o food. Just make sure they are well hydrated! She didn't have diarrhea (can't remember if that is a symptom or not).

It doesn't sound like your kids have it right now but I would still keep an eye out for it since they may have been exposed in the childcare center.

Default Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease?

I'm taking my son (almost 17 monts old) to the ped today because I think he's come down with Hand Foot & Mouth Disease. He had a fever of 102.2 over the weekend, which has since broken, but now he's developing red spots on his lips... Some children had HF&M at the Y last week, which is the only reason it occurred to me...

Has anyone been through this? I'm assuming we can't do much, since it's a virus, but did anything help?
    DS 2004
    DD 2007
    DD 2012

I think that I had a mild case of HF&M lately, but it was just diagnosed as some "mouth virus" by my doc (nice, huh?). I was given an anti-viral, but she told me right off the bat that I'd probably just have to wait it out and take some ibuprophen if it got un-managable. Here I am a week later and I'm fine. I feel for your ds.
    1+1 (10/26/02)

Someone else posted about this a couple weeks ago, but I couldn't find the thread when I did a search.

Anyway, my DD had this last summer (she was 14mos.) and it was pretty miserable. There really isn't anything you can do but let it run its course. It'll take about 10 days. She didn't eat much at all the first few days, though she tried. It just hurt too much w/ the sores in her mouth. Eventually she was eating yogurt for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guess it's cold and goes down smoothly so it didn't hurt as badly. Not a big deal if your DS doesn't eat, just make sure he stays well hydrated.

Tylenol or Motrin may or may not help. Our ped recommended a maalox and benadryl (I think) concoction but I never did it (maalox was suppose to help coat the sores and maybe make DD more comfortable and able to eat).

HFMD is really contagious, make sure you wash your hands and DS's often. Disinfect everything!

I know that jki just went thru this w/ her 2 kids and she just mentioned the other day that her FIL got it as well. Maybe she'll drop in w/ her experience.

Hope your DS is well soon!!!

Both my kids had HFMD last month. The ped's prescription was "ice cream and popscicles" until DS felt better. There's nothing you can do and you just have to let it run its course.

I think DS went 3 days without eating AT ALL and about 2 days only eating milkshakes. He was cranky/unhappy for about 10 days total. DS gave it to his friend and his friend had a really violent case - blisters on his legs, he couldn't wear shoes because the sores on his feet were so bad, didn't eat for 5 days, etc. I wouldn't have even KNOWN DD had it.... but I knew the sypmtoms and we had her WBV and the ped confirmed she had it, but beyond a few red spots in her diaper area, you wouldn't even KNOW she had a virus.... it was that mild.

Does he have any red spots on his hands/feet or in his diaper area? Anyhow, I hope your DS doesn't have it!
    Married 7/5/02
    DS 6/21/04
    DD 7/9/05

Default Hand, foot, mouth disease???

My 7 month old DD was exposed to Hand, foot and mouth disease over the weekend. Has anyone experienced this? Is sounds horrible, is it? What do you suggest for disenfecting her toys?

TIA!

My 9 mo dd was just diagnosed with this on Sunday! She got it at daycare I assume... I guess it's pretty contagious, so there's probably not much you can do at this point. Although 1/2 of kids will have no symptoms. Alex was miserable for a few days - fevers, and sores in the back of her throat which made it hard for her to eat/drink, and she drooled a lot. She didn't have the rash. Motrin really helped her a lot - in fact, when the medicine was in full effect, she was really happy. It sucked, but only lasts about 3-4 days. That said, I really hope your db doesn't get it

ETA - The Ped said once she gets it, she shouldn't get it again..
    Diane & Jason - 4/5/2003
    Alexandra Claire - 8/25/2005
    Joshua Oliver - 2/25/2009