Quantcast
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

There is plenty to do in La Jolla, so you probably don't even need to leave once you get there! Within walking distance of where you'll be staying, there are a ton of great restaurants - two that I would recommend are Fresh and Roppongi. There's also a cute little Thai place right across the street from the hotel. A lot of people love George's at the Cove and Trattoria Acqua, which both have ocean view dining, but honestly I'd steer clear - they're overpriced tourist traps in my opinion.

If you have never been to the Zoo here, you absolutely have to go. You can easily spend all day there. As Rosebud mentioned, from there you can also go to the museums in Balboa park. My favorite is the Mingei museum. The Prado is a great restaurant in Balboa park. From there you are also close to Hillcrest and North Park. More cute restaurants and great shops.

If you do end up downtown, my absolute favorite restaurant is Cafe Chloe. It's the only reason I ever go downtown. Also, from downtown it's fun to take the ferry across to Coronado Island, walk around the shops, and have drinks at the Hotel Del.

If you are interested in hiking, you can go to the Torrey Pines State Reserve, which is at the north end of La Jolla. It's beautiful and you get a great view of the coastline. This is assuming it's nice out...this morning it was so foggy and rainy that I couldn't see half a mile! Unfortuantely this is not the best time of year for weather here, hopefully it will clear up for you!

I live in the Bay Area, so foggy and rainy don't scare me.

Thanks for the recs, I appreciate it!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

laura- I ran across a great article on La Jolla in a back issue of Sunset Magazine. It's got lots of tips (sightseeing, dining) on the area which you might find helpful:

Holiday in La Jolla

La Jolla is a graceful, vintage vision of Southern California. It's a place where folks converge at a palm-lined waterfront park each evening — no doubt to see the sunset but also to see who is out and about, taking part in a longtime La Jolla ritual. And November's a great time to take that stroll. Crowds are down, the theater season at the beloved La Jolla Playhouse is in full swing, and there are still plenty of days that carry the last hints of summer's warmth.

Link to the rest of the article

Default San Diego Attractions

We are going to San Diego for vacation 4/27-5/5 this year for our 5 yr. anniversary. I am originally from the area (Escondido) but moved away when I was 13 and haven't been back since (and I'm 27 now!) We already have our flights booked ($156 roundtrip from SC through Priceline), our Hotel booked (the Holiday Inn - San Diego Zoo area in Mission Valley - $60 a night through Priceline - used www.biddingfortravel.com to learn advanced permutation bidding to get this rate). My husband also already has a car reserved through Fox Rent-a-Car. He wanted a Mustang which I could care less about but this is kind of "my" trip so this was his one splurge. That was $363 for the whole time we are there which was the best deal he could find.

Anyway, all that to say I am trying to find good deals on attraction tickets now. DH wants to go to Universal Studios and the cheapest I have found online is $54 a ticket. I have been scouring Craigslist but, really, unless you catch the post right after the poster posted it, the tickets are gone. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any coupons or ways to get really good deals on attraction tickets. We both don't want to go to Sea World or Lego Land, wouldn't mind going to Disney Land if the tickets were really cheap, don't want to go to Knott's Berry Farm and it's possible I can get passes to Wild Animal Park through a friend. We would like to go to the Zoo if we can find cheap tickets. We plan on going to Rueben H. Fleet but will be there the first Tuesday of the month so it will be free! (Does anyone know if the IMAX is free that day also?) I wanted to go to the Museum of Man as well but those tickets are already cheap. DH wants to go to Medieval Times so if anyone knows of coupons for that, too. We also plan on going to Bates Nut Farm which is free! (I used to go as a kid all the time so I want to go for sentimental reasons.) We also plan on going to Julian.

Also, any recommendations of things to do would be great! I mean, I haven't been there since 1992 so I'm sure there are things there now that weren't there then.

I think cheap Disney tickets are pretty rare.

Try ebay, though for Disney and the zoo.

As for recommendations, there are SO many great museums in Balboa Park. Since you will be there anyway for Rueben H. Fleet and the Museum of man, you can hit up a couple more. There is everything from science to cars to sports to art. If you want a nice dinner at the end of your Balboa Park day, the Prado restaurant is located in the park.

Depending on your budget, you might also be able to get tickets to see whatever is playing that week at the Old Globe (also in Balboa Park) or catch a theare performance at the downtown Civic theatre.

A couple low cost things that come to mind are taking the ferry over to Coronado or walking around either downtown or La Jolla. If you are into live music, the Belly Up has lots of really cheap performances (often only $8-$10) and it is a good venue.
    'Thou shalt not' might reach the head, but it takes 'Once upon a time' to reach the heart.-Philip Pullman

We just went to San Diego last weekend. If you can't get tickets for the Wild Animal Park from your friend, I know you can buy combo tickets for reduced rates at the park - so possibly you can get them even cheaper in advance (?). IIRC, it was something like a $10pp discount overall if you bought combo tickets to the Wild Animal Park and Zoo, and I think there was a package that included Disney, but we weren't interested so I didn't pay much attention. You may be able to find info on the website, though. I mean $10 isn't that much, but if you are going to both anyway and you can't get a discount any other way, it's better than nothing. Also, if you have AAA, we got discounted museum tickets by showing our card; at the information office they told us it would be 10% off at all the museums, but it was 20% off at the art museum, for example (that's the only museum we went to).
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Thanks for the recs. We definitely want to check out Coronado and I also read about the package deal with WAP and SD Zoo...I'm going to probably do that if I can't get passes from my friend.

If you're a Costco member, they have discounted tickets to local attractions like Disney at the local stores and online.
    Happy anniversary!

I think you've listed off most of the major attractions already! Downtown has gotten a lot nicer in the past few years and is fun to walk around in now. You could go to Point Loma to Cabrillo National Monument ($5 per car to get in, I think) - it's beautiful, and there are cool tidepools. Or drive up to La Jolla and go to the tidepools and see the seals. There's a small museum of contemporary art in La Jolla, and lots of restaurants and shops. If you enjoy hiking, Torrey Pines State Reserve, at the north end of La Jolla, is very nice. Or just go to the beach! It should be relatively warm by then.

If you really want to go to both Universal Studios and Disney, you might want to get a hotel in LA for a night. Traffic has gotten a LOT worse since you lived here. It's not too bad on weekends, but weekdays... With normal weekday traffic it's about a two hour drive to Disney, a bit further to Universal. With bad traffic it will easily take 3 hours to get to Universal. That's a lot of driving in two days, especially with gas prices here!!

Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your trip

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately, I am not a Costco member as we do not have a Costco here in SC.