Quantcast
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trestlegirl View Post
    In that case, I would definitely recommend finding a hotel in the convention center/gaslamp area, or else up near Balboa Park (where the zoo and museums are), in Hillcrest or North Park. In either case there would be plenty of fun stuff and restaurants within walking or easy driving distance. As you look at hotels you should also keep in mind that you will likely end up having to pay for valet parking, as parking is at a premium, especially downtown. That can up the cost of the hotel significantly!

A lot of people end up staying in "Hotel Circle" which is an area off the 8 freeway with lots of hotels...I would avoid it, as you can't walk to anything.
    Plus, I don't think Hotel Circle has greatest hotels, anyway.
    Ain't no party like a Scranton party, 'cuz a Scranton party don't stop! (huh, huh, huh)

We are big fans of the Pacific Terrace Hotel on Pacific Beach. It's a bit north of hotel circle and downtown, but there are lots of great little restaurants at which to eat, the hotel is on the beach and I think all the rooms have ocean views. If you have a car, downtown, Sea World, etc. are an easy drive away.

*bump

I am a total vacation schizo at the moment, but I would appreciate hearing more suggestions for hotels in San Diego. I am considering this trip in lieu of Hawaii (sad), but on the plus side, we can afford to stay somewhere pretty swanky and still keep our budget to about half of what it would have been. I'll be checking out the hotels posted above, but just looking for more recs. This is an early 5 yr anniversary trip, too, so anywhere romantic, nice, swanky, funky, whatever would be great. Would perhaps like a view of the ocean, but not absolutely necessary if it means missing something better. We will be flying down, but will probably rent a car (?), if that helps.

Also open to restaurants suggestions, to dos, etc. Not *entirely* sold on going here yet, but this is where my husband wants desperately.

ETA: In addition to the hotels listed above, I was also looking at the La Valencia Hotel - good/bad feedback?
    Last edited by laura; 02-05-2007 at 02:52 PM.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I second the rec for Solamar. The Westin is in a good location, right downtown, but a Westin is a Westin--great shower, but nothing unique there. The US Grant hotel is also downtown and is almost 100 years old (that's old for SoCal, right?), newly restored and very pretty. For a view, I stayed at the Kona Kai ages ago, and it was great.

It's been a couple years sicne I've ben to Hotel Solamar, but I third the rec. I';ve never stayed there, but the roof top pool was a lot of fun the couple of times I went there.

Depending on when you are going, Hard rock is opening a hotel in downtown (I think it is due to openin September). It's going to have a couple Randy gerber bars and a Nobu, and it is a great downtown location. If you want to do clubs and restaruants in downtown and stay someplace funky, that might be good, though I don't know when they might start taking reservations.

On the other end of the spectrum if you want sometime romantic and quite and historic, depending on your budget, you might consider Hotel Del Coronado.
    'Thou shalt not' might reach the head, but it takes 'Once upon a time' to reach the heart.-Philip Pullman

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    *bump

I am a total vacation schizo at the moment, but I would appreciate hearing more suggestions for hotels in San Diego. I am considering this trip in lieu of Hawaii (sad), but on the plus side, we can afford to stay somewhere pretty swanky and still keep our budget to about half of what it would have been. I'll be checking out the hotels posted above, but just looking for more recs. This is an early 5 yr anniversary trip, too, so anywhere romantic, nice, swanky, funky, whatever would be great. Would perhaps like a view of the ocean, but not absolutely necessary if it means missing something better. We will be flying down, but will probably rent a car (?), if that helps.

Also open to restaurants suggestions, to dos, etc. Not *entirely* sold on going here yet, but this is where my husband wants desperately.

ETA: In addition to the hotels listed above, I was also looking at the La Valencia Hotel - good/bad feedback?
    I've stayed at the La Valencia several times now- it was where we spent our wedding night. So clearly I am a fan

La Jolla is a great place to stay- there is a little hotel right across the street from the La Valencia that is also supposed to be nice but I can't remember the name.

Downtown is in the middle of a big revitalization and there are tons of new boutique hotels popping up. But you are from a much larger more sophisticated city, so I bet you would enjoy the charms of somewhere like La Jolla better. The L'Auberge in Del Mar is fantastic too.

We go there pretty often for my husband on business and one of our favorite hotels is the Best Western Hacienda Inn in Old Town. The rooms are more like a condo and very cute! There was a kitchenette in the living area of our room which was really nice. The whole place has a Spanish style feel to it and it's pretty centrally located to anything you may want to do in San Diego as it's right off the freeway (but not close enough for traffic noise!) Lots of great Mexican food in walking distance, shops, and about the best sushi restaurant in the world (Harney Sushi on Congress!)

The other hotel we like is in the downtown area. It's the Staybridge Suites Riviera hotel 1110 A St. Really nice place, even though it looks like apartment buildings from the outside. That is actually what it used to be back in the 20's I believe. Inside is a completely different story though, and really beautiful. They offer a great continental breakfast every morning (which I think is complementary?) Thing is, I'm not finding it on the www.staybridge.com site. I'm not sure if I'm not looking in the right place or if they sold it. When I google Staybridge Suites Riviera San Diego I get a ton of hits though. So anyway, whoever owns it now it's gotta still be great.

La Valencia is really cute, and I've heard they have great brunch! From there you'd be within walking distance of a lot of good restaurants, shopping, the museum of contemporary art, the spot where the seals congregate, etc. La Jolla is a great town.

Tower 23 is a really cool hotel in Pacific Beach, right on the ocean, with a great restaurant and bar. Unfortunately it's 1000 times nicer than anything else in PB, which is mostly populated by students, drunk 20-somethings and hippies. (I love PB, but it's not exactly my idea of a romantic vacation destination.)

Someone already recommeded L'Auberge in Del Mar, I'll second that. Very nice, and again within walking distance of some great restaurants and shops, and you can go on nice drives up the coast highway through the other little towns. It's also across the street from the Del Mar plaza, where you can watch the North County nightlife, which may or may not suit your taste. (Cougars on the prowl - very entertaining people watching!!)

My parents were here last week and stayed at Cardiff by the Sea Lodge, which was nothing fancy, but really cute and comfortable. Cardiff is a much sleepier town than La Jolla, very beach-driven lifestyle.

I have zillions of suggestions on things to do...just depends on where you stay, how much you want to drive, and what you like!

Thanks for the suggestions. We (I) decided to stay at La Valencia in La Jolla, and I splurged on one of their Ocean Villas, so I'm very excited to see how it is. Would love suggestions of 'to do' and 'to eat'. We're renting a car at the airport, and we're pretty flexible on driving distances, but I know very little about the area so if you could post estimated driving times to places that would be great. TIA!

ETA: We will be there 2/20-2/24, so Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat basically for doing things. No strict budget concerns for meals or activities, so any suggestions are welcome.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I would definitely recommend getting down to Balboa Park. It's a lovely area to walk around & certainly a San Diego must-see. The Zoo is right there, as well as the Natural History Museum and the Ruben H. Fleet Space Museum. Those are both excellent museums. Also, the Old Globe Theatre is right there. It's a top notch theatre, if you're interested in seeing a show. It's about 20 minutes from La Jolla to Balboa Park, I'd estimate.

The Gaslamp District in San Diego is great for dinner & drinks at night. Seaport Village is fun to walk around during the day-- lots of little touristy shops on the waterfront.

In La Jolla, I recommend the Scripps Aquarium. I haven't been there in quite a few years, but I remember it being really cool. There's tide pools around the back that are fun to look at, as well. They also have whale watching trips that leave from here.