Quantcast
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Default San Diego: Master Thread

We are planning a trip to San Diego this month and will bring our 11 month old son along with us. We'll be staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt (Market Place).

DS and I will likely spend a lot of time at the pool, shopping, etc. while DH is in meetings, as it is a business trip for him. Any suggestions on specific things to do with a young child in tow? We plan on taking a trip to the zoo, but haven't really done any planning beyond that.

Also, how is San Diego's public transportation? Will the trolley/bus system provide adequate transportation to beaches, malls, zoo, etc.? We'll be bringing his carseat along for the plane, but didn't plan on renting a car. Would you suggest otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

San Diego's public transportation sucks. I would rent a car...$30 a day will save you a lot of aggravation. Definitely do the zoo and Sea World. How long will you be in town? It might be fun to walk through Old Town. Check out La Jolla. Go to the boardwalk area in Mission Bay.

**bump**

Just looking for more suggestions, since we are planning a trip to San Diego with our DS in August. DS will be 14 months. TIA.
    Collin 6/13/05
    Brady 1/17/07

Caitlin 8/3/10

jmvan74, I cross posted this message in the 0-18 mo. parenting thread. I got a lot of great suggestions from that post, so I bumped it for you. Enjoy your trip!

Great. Thanks!
    Collin 6/13/05
    Brady 1/17/07

Caitlin 8/3/10

You can walk around Seaport Village which is located right next to the Hyatt. Sea World is a great place to take kids. Definitely rent a car, things are usually within 15 to 20 minutes no matter where you want to go.

Default San Diego hotel recommendations?

We're going to be traveling to San Diego for a week this winter and i wondered if anyone had recommendations for specific hotels. One thing that I would like is a hotel with a laundry facility to use as i'll need to wash clothes and the baby's diapers halfway through the week.

Thanks for any recc's! We'd like to be located somewhat centrally to places to eat/things to do, and any 'stay away from this hotel' warnings would also be appreciated too .

Do you want to stay downtown, or do you want to be up north in one of the beachy areas? Will you have a rental car or be relying on public transportation/taxis?

In downtown, I love Solamar. It's a little smaller and funkier than the big high-rise hotels. Not sure about laundry service though. If that's too pricey, a less expensive recommendation is the Holiday Inn on the bay. It's nothing fancy, but perfectly nice, and right on the bay. My parents often stay there when my dad is in town for conferences. From any hotel in downtown, you'll have lots of restaurants and shops in walking distance, you can take the ferry across to Coronado Island, take the bus/taxi to the zoo, etc.

If you want to be up north in the beach areas, I know of a couple of nice hotels in Solana Beach and Del Mar...but I can't remember the names off the top of my head!

We'll have a rental car, and i'm not sure whether staying downtown or by the beach would be better. We'll be there the first week of december so we won't be swimming or anything. Based on what you wrote probably downtown bc then we can walk to restaurants and such.

In that case, I would definitely recommend finding a hotel in the convention center/gaslamp area, or else up near Balboa Park (where the zoo and museums are), in Hillcrest or North Park. In either case there would be plenty of fun stuff and restaurants within walking or easy driving distance. As you look at hotels you should also keep in mind that you will likely end up having to pay for valet parking, as parking is at a premium, especially downtown. That can up the cost of the hotel significantly!

A lot of people end up staying in "Hotel Circle" which is an area off the 8 freeway with lots of hotels...I would avoid it, as you can't walk to anything.