Quantcast

Default Small lump on puppy's hip--any thoughts on what this could be?

I have a 4 month old Italian Greyhound puppy. Yesterday I noticed a small lump near his hip. It is under the skin and is about the size of a large pea. I touched it and it didn't seem to be causing my puppy any pain...it is just there. Has anyone seen this before? I'm probably going to end up taking him to the vet but I wanted to ask here too.

TIA!
    Married::7/23/2005
    Gabriel::9/28/2007
    Another Blessing::EDD 7/10/2012

I've not seen one on a hip, but our lab had one under his "armpit." It was a pretty sizable lump (about a pea but large enough to be noticed). He didn't seem to be in pain when I touched it.

It started to go down after a few days, but we took him in. The vet wasn't concerned about it - thought it might have been a bug bite since nothing else was bothering him.

I'd still take your pup in - better to be safe than sorry.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Our dog has one of those - under his armpit. My dog growing up started getting them as she got older and the vet said they were just fatty 'tumors' and nothing to worry about. They're not cancerous and don't cause the dog any harm, but just aren't that pretty.

I'm not sure that is the same thing though in a dog so young. Could it be a lymph node?
    New Year, New Baby
    DD - 01/04/07 DS - 01/29/09

we've had a couple of fatty tumors removed from our boxer, emma we are extra careful since boxers have a tendancy to get skin cancers.

i got scared when i found another one last week, turns out is was her microchip. it had migrated from up on her back to down on the side of her shoulder. i felt kind of dumb, but i'm glad i got it checked out.

Colleen

It could be a fatty tumor or cyst. Of course it's something to get checked by a vet, but it's very possible it's nothing to worry about. You may even opt to not remove it if it would cause more pain to do so than to keep it.
    May those who love us love us. And for those who don't, may God turn their hearts. And if not, may God turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

I'm not sure if dogs' bumps can be the same as cats', but when we found a bump on our cat's hip, we took her in to the vet. He shaved the spot and drew out some of the fluid from inside. Turned out it was basically a "blackhead". Who would have thought my kitty needed Clearasil

Could be lots and lots of things. Among the things already mentioned, in a young puppy it isn't uncommon to have little bumps where they were vaccinated. I'd get it checked but I wouldn't be panicked.

our dog has a sizeable one on his chest, right now they think its just a fatty tumor but we have to watch it because the vet is still concerned that it might grow and turn out to be something else.
    "Never underestimate the power of love, it can do miracles which you never thought were possible."

my dog has one on his right shoulder. we adopted him from the SPCA when he was about three years old and the vet found it at the first or second visit. . she said she thought it was a BB that someone had shot him with years ago. he has no problems with it and so it remains.
    DD- 6.16.06
    DS- 6.8.08