Quantcast
Page 84 of 85 FirstFirst ... 347482838485 LastLast

Thread: Catholics?

taffers, out of curiosity, are your kids baptized? My son isn't, but we named "god parents" for him. That was what was important to my husband (Protestant, not practicing). I sometimes feel like I should expose my son to religion some more, in a way to educate him about it, but not force belief. He was enrolled in a Catholic day care program that has since closed....one day, he was praying and I nearly fell off my chair.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

Yes, they are both baptized, but I need to get involved in a church because I have no idea how first communion and confirmation work or when they do them these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to a public school but since it was in Bavaria in a small town with a huge Benedictine monastery it was pretty much a Catholic school. Germany has a separation of church and state but the interpretation there is different from here. Religious education was mandatory. We had it once a week and Catholics went to a separate class from Protestant. Everyone else (mostly just the kids of Turkish guest workers) could either choose to participate in either class or go to Ethics which had to be offered as an alternative. Prayer at the beginning and end of the day was totally fine and up to the teacher. We spent a lot of time in church because we had morning service once a week, choir practice twice a week, rosary in the crypt every Friday, and then various other events. In third grade when we were preparing for our First Communion we practically lived at the monastery.
    I had pretty much forgotten about most of this until I started using the oils. There is nothing like a smell to bring back memories. I got one whiff of Frankincense and was transported back to that drafty old church with the uncomfortable benches.
    I initially didn't want DS to grow up with any particular religion but he is now picking up religious tidbits from his friends and I wish I had done a better job giving him a foundation like I had been given. He wasn't baptized which is something that keeps my grandfather up at night.

Taffers, glad you found the links helpful I totally get how hard it is going to Mass with little ones. We are still struggling, even with an 8, 6 and 2 yr old. My big kids are good in chruch, because they are used to it- they go to Mass once per week with their class, then again on Sundays as a family. My 2 yr old is a NIGHTMARE in church....ugh. He can only last for 15-20 mins, then DH has to take him out. We have a "cry" room, but we try not to use it. We used it all the time when DS1 and DD were little because I was so nervous they'd make noise but I learned that it was actually doing us a disservice because they never really learned that you need to sit still and be quiet during Mass. Once DS1 was 4 and DD was 2, we started sitting out with everyone else.

As far as missing Sunday football, many Catholic churches around here have 5pm Mass on Saturday evening, and some even do a 5pm Sunday Mass as well. Maybe that would work for your DH?

Anyway, it is a huge commitment to go every week and we struggle with it all.the.time. Sometimes, it just seems like too much to get everyone up, dressed and fed and to Mass on time, but after we go, I'm always happy we did. We try and make Sunday our family day, if possible. After Mass, we'll go to an early lunch, then come home and relax (yeah right!) all afternoon.

Oh, and as far as First Communion goes, it is done when kids are in 2nd grade now (so 7 & 8 yr olds). My kids go to parochial school so I they didn't need to attend any Religious Ed classes which was nice. But, for Confirmation, even if they go to a Catholic HS, they still need to attend weekly Religious Ed classes for that which I think is lame. Confirmation is done in 10th grade.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Okay, so after my post this morning about going to Mass, I thought I would share how lovely our experience today was

I pack a small bag for DS2 to help occupy him during Mass, and to hopefully keep him quiet and seated in our pew. Today, I got out the crayons and coloring book to keep him busy and much to my surprise, it worked! He was quietly coloring for a few minutes and I began to relax and actually try and listen to the homily. Well, I turn my attention to DS2 and see that HE DREW ALL OVER THE FREAKING PEW in front of us. I wanted to die. I quickly snatched the crayons away and nudged DH to show him. I then ran to the bathroom to get wet paper towels and try to scrub the crayon off but it didn't work!!!

DH ended up leaving Mass (and taking my little terror of a 2yr old with him) and went home to get a Magic Eraser. He snuck back in and we tried to be inconspicuous and wipe the crayon off. Let's just say, thank goodness for Magic Erasers!!! It worked!!! I'm sure the older couple sitting behind us thought we were insane.

Needless to say, Mass with young ones is always super challenging!! While I don't want to rush things, I cannot wait until all of my kids are big enough to sit quietly during church. Oi vey.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

MDD had a play date on Sunday so I left YDD home with DH and I took ODD to church. The whining of "how much looooonger?" ensued. The younger kids (k-2nd) get to go to "sunday school" during mass. It's only during the first part up through the homily. I reminded her that now that she has received her first communion, she needs to go to church.

I will be taking MDD with us in the future. If DH and YDD come, then we traditionally sit in the crying room/children's room. They have books and such. While we don't get "looks" in the main church if the kids are loud, I just feel more at ease in the smaller/sound proof room.

I found a nice little "worksheet" for my 2nd graders. It's a church worksheet that they can fill out to show they went to mass. Who the gospel was by, any words they didn't understand, that type of thing. I said for anyone who showed me their worksheet, they'd get a prize. I went to Wendy's and got the jr. frosty coupons. I got 5/$1 and the money goes towards the Dave Thomas Foundation.

Only two girls had their sheets filled out - and they are twins. I did have some parents ask about it. I said the sheet is optional and if they go to mass the child can submit it for a prize.

Sadly, I think a lot of parents feel religious ed once a week is 'good' enough. Our head priest (whom I think is just amazing) makes all second graders get "signatures" before communion. They have to go and get signatures from a priest, a deacon, a lector, an alter server, etc. Basically - people who do the mass. I love it! ODD liked doing it too and I can't wait for MDD and YDD to get to this age. I mentioned that to my class and said they'll have to be going to mass and get used to the happenings. So, if they start now they can get a small treat. We'll see how next week goes.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

This week we were asked to "introduce" the rosary to our classes. Next week we will have an all school prayer focusing on the rosary.

I am actually pretty excited about this! I found several crafts/ideas on Pinterest and have fully made one and will start prepping the other tonight.

My prep item: http://www.catholicicing.com/catholi...s-make-rosary/
    I want to make one as a sample. From there I'm going to write the longer prayers out for the kids (we only have an hour and they are in second grade) and staple the books. I'll get out my scrapbooking paper stash and pre-cut some paper for the inserts. But I'll let them cut out and glue the pictures and write some of the shorter prayers themselves.

I made this "hopscotch" rosary. A little different from here - I wrote the "directions" of how to pray the rosary right on the sheet.

My thought is that I will take each kid one at a time (I only have 9 in class) and we'll walk through the rosary and said the prayers (only one HM instead of 10) while the rest of the class works on their books. I'll rotate the kids so they all have a chance to walk a decade.

I need to figure out these mysteries though! While I "prayed" the rosary growing up, I didn't know all of the rules about it. So, I'd like to look it up so I understand it. I don't know if I'll provide too much info to the kids, but we'll see what I can find.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

That hopscotch rosary is neat!
    DD is in her first year of rel. ed. (our church starts in Kindergarten) and this last week we were told that we are supposed to start incorporating the Hail Mary at home in our daily life so they can get practice learning that. I'm not one to usually pray the Rosary, just because I didn't grow up with it (grew up Lutheran, converted after DH and I got married) so it's been a learning thing for me too!
    Angel baby 1/08
    Rachel Yvonne is here! 6/15/09
    ajb92504 on LJ

I never prayed the rosary the "right" way before. and I grew up Catholic and "said" the rosary weekly for quite some time. I would like to start praying it more, the right way, but have to work it into my schedule. Perhaps that will be my Lenten practice.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Off shoot of the "Getting Ahead of Christmas" Thread. I was in the bookstore the other day and saw these two books. Neat read for Advent.

http://www.amazon.com/Unwrapping-Gre...=1416110421671

http://www.amazon.com/Advent-Storybo...hildrens+books