Quantcast
Page 83 of 85 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 LastLast

Thread: Catholics?

My BFF and I attended a conference for Catholic Moms this summer. It was put-on by a group of popular Catholic bloggers (and radio personalities). It was AMAZING!!! It was very inspirational and the emphasis was motherhood as a vocation.

Some interesting things I noted: I was the total oddball for having such a small family (3 kids). Almost all of the women there had at least 5 kids, most had 6-8 and one even had 11! I am a "new" Catholic (RCIA '08) and am still learning the culture so to speak, but I was truly amazed at how large the families were. Where I live (Southern California), the only large families we see are LDS families- not Catholic families. At my kids' parochial school and at our parish, I only know 3 other families that have more kids than us. Most families have 2-3 kids tops.

Also, most of the moms there homeschooled, which I thought was really cool, but not something I could ever do

My biggest take-away from the conference was that I wanted to continue try and "live the liturgical year" going forward. I want to have more tradition in our home and make being Catholic fun for my family!

The biggest changes for us will be that I want to start celebrating feast days. I had each kid (plus DH and I), pick a Saint and on that Saint's day, we'll do something fun like maybe have a special dinner and dessert that somehow pertain to that Saint. I'll also print out a picture and info about that Saint and we'll talk about it as well.

We already do an advent wreath but I'd also like to do a Jesse Tree this year.

I know I need to start small because otherwise, I'll burn out and I really want to stick with this.

Do any of you do anything special in your families to celebrate our faith (aside from the traditional holidays)? I'd love to hear
    One of the biggest take aways from
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Unfortunately, we don't. DH is Lutheran and I respect his religion/beliefs and while they are VERY similar to Catholics there are some pointed differences.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I have added prayer to both ODD and MDD's night time routine. MDD loves it; ODD is okay with it. I think she feels awkward praying out loud. sometimes we just take a few minutes silently to thank God. Beyond that, we don't have smaller celebrations

I'm interested to see what you do/add into your routines. I'd like to do more but it will have to be run by DH first. He's usually pretty good with letting me do things as I see fit when it comes to religion. While he's not converting, he's not much of a practicing Lutheran. We are raising the girls Catholic since I feel much more strongly about the religion but I also don't want to upset him.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Stevie my kids all have a saints day. My dad's has always been *very* important to him (his saint is based on his name) and my mom (who is not Catholic) always had us acknowledge it somehow. dS1's middle name is the same as my dad's so they share a saints day. We teach DS about st Joseph and he always gives my dad a card (last year he wrote him a poem) to honor their shared saint's day. Ds2 was given fil's name, also a saint name. I admit I often forget when it is. :-/ for DD we intentionally picked a saint name for her middle name so they'd all have a saint. I love the story of her saint (Elizabeth-- there are two but we picked Elizabeth Seton). My kids are "behind" in their RE (long story) and I don't know what a Jesse tree is. I am from an interfaith family and so we have a lot of blended traditions and such in our house. DH is catholic. We also do st nicks day even though no one here does that, but it's a German/Midwestern thing DH couldn't imagine NOT doing. I let MIL send stuff for that and we are trying to make it less about food and more meaningful each year.
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-22-2014 at 08:17 AM.

I grew up Roman Catholic which is the prevalent religion/denomination in most of Germany (you're either Catholic, Protestant/Lutheran, or... nothing) and your saint's day is pretty big. When we lived in Bavaria people there would celebrate your "name day" more than your birthday. It helps that in Germany you can only give your child an actual name, you can't make up a name, so everyone has a dedicated saint. I don't know what a Jesse Tree is though.

Taurus: The Jesse Tree is basically a count-down to Christmas You have a tree and each day leading up to Christmas you add a different ornament/decoration. The decoration, however, is very symbolic in that, they represent Jesus' family tree (genealogy). If you google it, lots of info comes up (a much better explanation that I can give.) You can buy kits for the tree on etsy or make them yourself.
    ETA: Here's a brief description: http://www.catholicculture.org/cultu...iew.cfm?id=545

Yes!! I forgot about St. Nick's Day!! I want to incorporate that one too! I also just learned about Michaelmas Day which I'd like to include but it was just this past weekend and I didn't have my act together so that one will have to wait until next year.

As far as Saints, my kids all picked their name saint as well (middle names for DS1, DD and me and first names for DS2 and DH).

As I mentioned previously, I am a new Catholic so I still have so much to learn. I grew up "Christian" but I use that term loosely. I think I attended church maybe 2 times in my life before going to a Jesuit University where I attended Mass regularly. We had very little tradition in my home growing up which I think is why I really long for it now and want my kids to have it. DH is a cradle Catholic but his family didn't do anything out of the usual Christmas/Easter celebrations.

I recently got this book which gives some great ideas on how to live liturgically: http://www.amazon.com/The-Catholic-H...meredith+gould

And here's another one I want to get from one of my favorite bloggers: http://www.amazon.com/Feast-Reflecti...+haley+stewart

dragon: So cool that "Name Day" is celebrated in Germany!

Chimi: I think it's great that your DH is pretty open to celebrating Catholic traditions
    Last edited by steviem; 09-22-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS2 03.07.12

I see St. Nick as more of a German tradition (although now that I think of it, the fact that Nick is a saint should have tipped me off that it's Catholic). DH's family celebrates this - Midwestern/German - and I think we celebrated it once growing up because I learned about it in CCD and mentioned it to my parents

I'm going to check out the Jesse Tree too. Maybe I can use it in religious ed.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Yeah, Chimi, I have tried from day one with the kids to make sure it wasn't just about getting sweets or the "being good/bad orange/coal" thing DH grew up with and that we actually connected it to the Saint or to some kind of meaningful story. I bet my MIL thinks I'm a drag sometimes! lol.

ETA: My dad is not German, but he cares about his saint's day is more than his birthday. He got that from his mom. Not all his siblings are the same with that, though. My dad was sort of the reflective/studious kid in the lot and went to a seminary for HS.
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-22-2014 at 09:09 AM.

So, going back to celebrating the liturgical year and feast days........

I mentioned I wanted to incorporate Michaelmas Day to our family tradition. I thought I missed it, but it's actually on Sept. 29th. I found this blog entry on it and thought I would share in case anyone was interested in it: http://www.aknottedlife.com/2014/09/...aley-from.html

The blog and video give good info on what exactly it is, and ideas on ways to celebrate it. They talk about it being associated with the beginning of Fall, so I am going to run with that theme because I think it will be easy to execute.

My goal is to make it EASY so that I will actually be able to keep up with it. So, I might just decorate the table with some leaves/fall décor and then make a pumpkin pie for dessert.

Anyway, just thought I'd share
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS2 03.07.12

Lovely, Stevie. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the info stevie! I'm Catholic, went to Catholic school, church every week (well twice a week b/c once at school and once on Sunday), but I'm not doing well with my kids! My mom is seriously appalled because she is very Catholic...and I don't even go to church anymore except holidays.

DH is Catholic too, but he was only baptized- nothing after that, and his family was not religious at all so religious traditions are not important to him, and God forbid he miss Sunday football to go to church. Originally, our excuse was that we always had a baby that napped during church times, but we really have no excuse now. I really want to get into going with the kids because I think that was so important in my life growing up. Honestly, though, there is no way I'm taking 2 kids under 5 by myself so I have to get DH on board.

I loved that the kids went to a Christian preschool because they go to chapel every week, sing church songs, learn about Jesus, etc. (DS still goes there) so even though it's not Catholic, they are at least learning about God.

Great links and info!