Quantcast
Page 75 of 85 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast

Thread: Catholics?

Quote Originally Posted by BTB View Post
    Slightly random question - When you go to confession, how do you start? Do you actually start with "Father, forgive me, for I have sinned. It's been (way too long) since my last confession, and in that time I've..."

The phrase "celebrating Lent" really caught my eye. Our parish won't even baptize during Lent, it's such a somber time! Are they just old-fashioned?
    Yes to the confession question, at least, that's how I've always started!

I think celebrate wasn't used in the "Woo Hoo, it's a party!!!" sense, but more in the preparation for something very joyful sense. Yes, it's somber, but we know He rises on the 3rd day so there's still a positive aspect, an anticipation of the joyfulness to come

I think your Parish is really old-fashioned. My DD was baptized during Lent and my nephew was as well. When I asked the Church if they would do it they seemed to think that saving the soul of a baby was pretty important and there was no reason to wait until after Easter.
    sugar, spice & everything nice...
    8/03 & 12/05
    snips, snails & puppy dog tails...3/10

Quote Originally Posted by mamax2 View Post
    I think celebrate wasn't used in the "Woo Hoo, it's a party!!!" sense, but more in the preparation for something very joyful sense. Yes, it's somber, but we know He rises on the 3rd day so there's still a positive aspect, an anticipation of the joyfulness to come
    What she said

I may not have chosen the best word when I wrote "celebrating" Lent, as I didn't mean to imply it was a party-type celebration. Perhaps I should have said the book includes some good age-appropriate activities for getting kids involved in Lent and anticipating the resurrection.

Regardless, our church is similar to yours, BTB, in the sense that they do not perform baptisms during Lent unless it's an emergency situation (e.g., baby is very ill and/or isn't expected to live). We had to wait until after Easter to get our younger DD baptized. I think it really depends on the priest and/or parish as to what they'll allow. When I got married in my hometown church 7 years ago, they "strongly discouraged" couples from planning weddings during Lent, but said that IF we insisted on getting married during Lent, we would be asked to keep the decorating and celebrating to a bare minimum which included minimal, if any, use of flowers to decorate the altar. So while we could've gotten married during Lent in that church, it wasn't encouraged. My current church does not allow weddings during Lent at all.
    DD#1 12/17/03
    DD#2 1/23/07

P.S. regarding Confession -- yes, that's how I've started. Although, the last time I went to confession, I had a really laid back priest who started things by casually saying, "So, what 'cha been up to since the last time you were here?" That unexpected greeting sorta threw me for a loop and made me stumble over how I was supposed to start.
    DD#1 12/17/03
    DD#2 1/23/07

CCD vs Catholic School: We're doing CCD. Our local Catholic School isn't up the standard of our public school, even if it isn't the best in the county either. So we are doing Public. Our CCD program starts in K. We are already doing things with our 4 1/2 year old, he knows his Our Father, Angel of God, and prays his "God Bless (people he loves) every night when I put him to bed. DH slacks at this which makes me VERY mad.And it makes DS more resistant the days i put him to bed, so I've given up too. Which makes me madder.

Lent-We baptized our son on Easter Sunday. I think they baptize during Lent, I believe that there was one two weekends ago. I think they discourage marriages though.

Ideas for kids at Lent- I bought some Foam crosses for my 2 year old to decorate and my 4 1/2 year old is going to be making some easter eggs out of yarn dipped in string and wrapped around an inflated balloon. We're going to give them all to a nursing home the week before Easter I hope. I figured this was a good way to teach him service to his community (our younger one just needed something to do while my older son and I do the eggs).
    My three sons :DS age 7 and DS age 4, DS age 2

Re: Catholic Schools vs. religious ed--we're doing religious ed. My DD started at 4 (could have started at 3) and is now in the 1st grade religious ed. For us the choice was a no brainer. I went to Catholic school PK-8 in an area where the public schools were excellent and my education suffered a LOT. The Catholic schools did not have the funds to compete. I wound up being very behind in all subjects but english when I got to public high school. (God Bless my older sister for HATING the all girl's catholic high school and begging and fighting with our parents to leave after her freshman year. That one decision changed everything for me. Leaving Catholic school changed the course of my life for the better) DH and I live a few towns over now where the public schools are ranked even higher than where we grew up. The Catholic schools again simply can't compete. There is no way I'd sacrifice my children's overall education for daily religious class when I can be giving it to them via the Sunday religious ed program and in the home. We moved here for the public schools. Had we wanted to do Catholic schools, we would have just stayed in the city (Chicago).
    Last edited by Littlelamb11; 03-16-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Lisa & Corbett 9-30-00
    Annabelle Kristine 8-8-02
    R. Ryder is here! 12-6-05

Littlelamb - I completely understand what you're saying. There are certainly areas where the Catholic schools can't compete. I'm glad you got pulled out before any further damage was done!! We moved to our current home because of the reputation of the public schools, and when we move to Colorado in a few months we will be focusing on the "best" public schools when deciding where to buy our next home. Having said that, my experience has been the opposite of yours: the Catholic schools in the cities where I've lived have always performed "better" than public schools, and/or have ranked right up there with the "best" public schools.

In our current city, the Catholic high school, in particular, has ranked at the very top in math and science every year since we moved here in 2005, and our local public school system has been ranked 2nd. The Catholic high school has a higher graduation rate. The difference between the #1 and #2 spots wasn't significant, and certainly not enough to convince my non-Catholic DH to consider Catholic schools.
    DD#1 12/17/03
    DD#2 1/23/07

When I asked the Church if they would do it they seemed to think that saving the soul of a baby was pretty important and there was no reason to wait until after Easter.
    The deacon who led the required pre-baptism session made a big issue of how the notion that unbaptized infants go to hell isn't, and actually never was, officially in the catechism of the Church. Official teaching is that the unbaptized go to "Limbo", which nonetheless doesn't sound like a fun place to be.

Though I'd rather have it right away, DS is being baptized at the same church as DD and I both were, so it was important to us to wait until they will permit the baptism.

We've considered Catholic school for DD, but good friends of ours - the husband is a Catholic schoolteacher - enrolled their daughter in the Lutheran school instead, they were so impressed by it (and so unimpressed by the local Catholic schools).
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal

Quote Originally Posted by BTB View Post
    Official teaching is that the unbaptized go to "Limbo", which nonetheless doesn't sound like a fun place to be.
    That's not actually true - there is no official teaching on what limbo is or who goes there (a good summary of the Church's position is here).

I thought we'd have to wait to baptize our DS until after Easter, but it's not a problem in my mother's fairly liberal parish, which is where we've chosen to do it due to its proximity to our extended family. In fact, DS will be baptized on Palm Sunday.
    Find Me on LJ
    "The safe is the enemy of the satisfying" - Anna Quindlen

For those of you who have non-practicing spouses...

How do you deal with the questions/resistance from your children that results from having one practicing parent and one non-practicing parent? I am really struggling to get my kids (joyfully!) to Mass when it looks like so much more fun to be home with Daddy lounging in pajamas and playing Wii...
    sugar, spice & everything nice...
    8/03 & 12/05
    snips, snails & puppy dog tails...3/10

My DH and I have different religious backgrounds, but have decided that we will choose one religion and raise our children in it together to avoid exactly this situation. Kids, IMO, at least can't understand why one parent can choose not to attend services.

I'd say this, if your husband chooses not to go to services, then he should do something else other than play Wii and hang out, maybe like volunteer his time or something. This way, your kids can have a choice to do one thing or the other, both of which build character.
    Last edited by looch; 03-24-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?