Quantcast

View Poll Results: Which appeals to you the most?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • New stair rails

3 10.00%
  • New kitchen entry and kitchen flooring

7 23.33%
  • Update powder bathroom

6 20.00%
  • Install a dishwasher

14 46.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Home Improvement?

Each year we want to try to do some things to improve our home. The thing is we don't plan on being here forever, so I am not sure which home improvement project should we do this year. By the way, we have already done the cosmetic stuff like painting. Which would most appeal to you as a potential home buyer?

New stair rails - The old ones are quite unattractive and they are unsafe for children bc there are large gaps between the rails which children could fall through.

Kitchen floor - Our current kitchen floor is a white tile with a few cracks. In addition, it totally looks bad next to our hardwood floor.

Update guest bath - Ugly, ugly brown toilet and sink.

Diswasher - We don't have a dishwasher right now.

Keep in mind that mainly young families are buying the homes for sale in our neighborhood.
    Last edited by Asha; 02-05-2006 at 02:02 PM.

Of all those options, I've heard that upgrades in the kitchen are going to give you the most return for your money. I'd install a dishwasher first (for myself, really). Bathrooms generally do well with return value as well, esp. if it's real old and/or ugly.

I picked the stair railing as it is a safety issue. If you are planning to sell anytime in the near future, you would probably need to do this for the future buyers anyways (if their building inspector finds it a problem). It might included as a contingency in their agreement.

If you aren't planning on selling soon and/or having children while there, then do whatever bothers you the most.
    All We Need is Chocolate!
    BIG PAPI & LITTLE WALLY

Yes, I have heard that about kitchens and bathrooms, so that's why most of the choices are for kitchen and baths, but then we have the issue with the stairs. Honestly, that's the first thing I noticed that I didn't like in our home when we looked at it. Bathroom isn't real old, but it is just tacky. Yeah, my hands and I would love a dishwasher. I told my dh that if I ever get preggo that's going to be done immediately.

shicks, i don't know if any buyers have demanded that bc all the townhomes have the same exact railings and most of them have kids. it's this whole open staircase look that just isn't very practical.

Definitely the dishwasher! A huge boon to young families as a major timesaver. I think you'll enjoy it too.

The other things - with the exception of a safety component to the stair rails - are heavily cosmetic and as such are so dependent on taste. A potential new owner might not care, for example, that the bathroom is redone if s/he hates the color and style and would redo it again anyway.
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal

hmmmm...it looks like a landslide for the dishwasher, so far.

I would definitely pick the dishwasher first, with probably updating the guest bath as a second choice. Dishwashers make life sooooooooooo much easier, and today's young family might not even consider a house that doesn't have one (although I guess that depends on what is common in your area).
    c & n 6.25.05
    baby boy 4.26.10

I would definitely go with the dishwasher first. We looked at a house and loved it, but it didn't have a dishwasher. That was a deal breaker for me. I know I could always put one in myself, but I'd rather spend my time making the place mine by painting or doing other minor updates instead of installing a dishwasher.
    DS: 11-20-2006
    Boy/Girl Twins: 4-3-2011
    DD 4/3/2013