Quantcast
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

I agree, house hunting can be stressful. But at least you are looking to build and don't have to worry about someone else "taking" your house first! Fingers crossed for you...
    Married ~ 2004
    DS #1 2007
    DS #2 2010

That's true....
    At least the bank is easy to work with

Wow, the thread is not too active. We all must be really busy. Hopefully others will check in soon.

cat_lover ~ I see in your signature that you are going to have a boy. Congratulations!!
    momma to DD & DS

Hey ladies! Does anyone have a recommendation for a photographer that does maternity portraits? I'd prefer not to pay an arm and a leg, but I want someplace that is fairly experienced with belly shots. TIA!
    Married ~ 2004
    DS #1 2007
    DS #2 2010

Wow, no posts in this thread for a year and a half! Talk about it being *dusty* in here!

Anywho, just checking to see if there are any finance/math/acctg/business professionals looking for a job. My firm is currently looking to hire...PM me and I can send you the job description!
    Married ~ 2004
    DS #1 2007
    DS #2 2010

Wow, it is dusty in here!
    No leads for ya cat but I'll keep it in mind if anyone's name comes up.

I wanted to add that we're putting our house on the market in a few wks. If anyone you know is looking for an awesome starter house (3bd/1ba) in Pv, let me know! We're selling by owner. I have pics on a website that I'd be more than happy to pass along.
    Noa 3.23.06
    Maxwell 12.29.07
    Maeve 3.10.10

I realize this thread has been used in a couple of years, but thought I'd give it a shot in case anyone is still out there!...
    DH and I may be moving to Kansas City next year (one of 3 possibilities right now)---I want to start doing a little research online on housing, etc to help make our decision---any thoughts on good neighborhoods to be looking at? (we'd want a good school district and ideally to not be too far from some good restaurants/things to do). Thanks!

Gosh, that is good question. Do you know where you will be working? Kansas City is different that a lot of cities in that the metro is two distinct states...Kansas and Missouri. They both have the pluses and minuses. I am a life-long Johnson County resident, which is on the Kansas side, so I am partial to it. It has some of the best school districts in the area, but the housing prices are more expensive as is the property taxes. The Kansas City Missouri school district is abysmal. If I had children, I would not live in the KCMO school district unless I wanted to sent my kids to private schools. However, Missouri does have excellent schools in the suburbs especially Lee's Summit and Liberty.

Kansas City is also pretty divided. I know people who never really leave their neighborhoods for dining or shopping. We like to experience the whole city, including the downtown area and the Plaza, which has great dining. But, most neighborhoods have awesome grocery stores and fun little neighborhood shops and restaurants.

I'm probably not much help, but I can try to answer more questions if you have them!
    C & J....07.07.01
    JM...08.17.05
    BM...09.17.07

Thanks for the response, Conneals! That info is really helpful as I've never even been there (i'll join him for the 2nd round of interviews) We'd probably both be working at the University of Kansas medical center, so somewhere not too far from there would be ideal (esp since DH may have a lot of early mornings/late nights with his job)

If you'll be working at KUMC, you'll probably want to live on the KS side to stay close to work. However, the area immediately surrounding KUMC is not the best. The closest I would get is probably Shawnee, but I think you get better school districts if you live in Overland Park (Blue Valley School Dist) or Olathe (Olathe School Dist). I will warn you though, traffic on I-35 during rush hour is a PITA, but that may not be an issue if you guys are working odd shifts. You could also go north of the river to the MO side, but would probably want to stay around Liberty - like conneals said, KCMO school district is horrible (just lost their accredidation, I think). Lee's Summit (MO) has an awesome school district and you get a lot more house for your money as compared to the Johnson County (KS) area. However, it will be a bit longer commute.

Like conneals said, all of the major suburbs (Olathe, Overland Park, Shawnee, Lee's Summit) have their own downtown/boutique areas, restaurants, etc. and there are large shopping centers all over the place, so that shouldn't really be a problem.
    Married ~ 2004
    DS #1 2007
    DS #2 2010